• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Associate
After few tries my system runs smooth/stable at the following specs:

CPU-Z-Infos.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
New to this board but have just registered to get some advice having recently come into possession of an MSI x58a GD65 board and an i7 950 (+ 8gb of gskill ripjaws rated up to 2133mhz). Can you advise if this motherboard supports the socket 1366 6 core xeons? The MSI website appears to suggest not (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X58AGD65#support-cpu) but I have seen on other forums people posting overclocked xeon benches with the same board albeit running a newer (or modded) bios than the one I have. Is anyone running this combo now?

Soldato
New to this board but have just registered to get some advice having recently come into possession of an MSI x58a GD65 board and an i7 950 (+ 8gb of gskill ripjaws rated up to 2133mhz). Can you advise if this motherboard supports the socket 1366 6 core xeons? The MSI website appears to suggest not (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X58AGD65#support-cpu) but I have seen on other forums people posting overclocked xeon benches with the same board albeit running a newer (or modded) bios than the one I have. Is anyone running this combo now?

Should be good if you update the bios. The CPUs are only £10 on eBay so well worth a try

Associate
Should be good if you update the bios. The CPUs are only £10 on eBay so well worth a try

Managed to get an X5670 (2.93ghz base-clock) for £12.50 delivered, the cheapest X5675 was over double that so didn't seem worth it for the small bump in clockspeed (even if it might be a slightly better bin).

Installed it this evening, replacing my i7 950, using an Arctic Freezer 13 cooler. This X5670 runs up to 4ghz at much lower overall temps than the i7 (max 3.8ghz safe temps) and I haven't had to adjust any voltage settings to get it there (IBT/3dmark stable). Currently running at 160x22 BLCK settings with DDR3 RAM at 1600mhz (ratio of 5) and the uncore ratio at 3200mhz (ratio at 10), with max temps up to 76 degrees on 1 core using IBT stress test and voltage getting up to 1.25 in CPU-Z. This is with EIST, C-state and turboboost (up to x25) all left on and Vdroop set to high. The uncore ratio appears to be locked compared to the i7 so not able to change that manually.

I've tried bumping up to 165-166 BLK and whilst I can get into windows at 165 I get a BSOD 5mins into a stress test so this appears to be the limit of the board/cpu without manually changing any voltages. The RAM is rated up to 2133mhz but I've had issues in the past trying to run higher than 1600 or using the XMP profiles (won't boot) even when bumping up the RAM voltage to 1.6.

Still pretty decent for a first go, but I would like to get it above 4ghz at some point. Does anyone have this motherboard (MSI x58a gd65) and an X56xx Xeon and if so do you have any tips? I think the bios on this board is a little different from those found on the ASUS x58s

Soldato
You need more voltage and try a BLK anywhere from 180-200, some boards don't like 200, so try 199 or 201. Just have to keep trying.

You want a cpu voltage from 1.35-1.4v. You max frequency will be from 4.0-4.4 ghz.

not much difference from 4.2-4.4, I could not get to 4.4 without silly volts.

Associate
You need more voltage and try a BLK anywhere from 180-200, some boards don't like 200, so try 199 or 201. Just have to keep trying.

You want a cpu voltage from 1.35-1.4v. You max frequency will be from 4.0-4.4 ghz.

not much difference from 4.2-4.4, I could not get to 4.4 without silly volts.

Without being able to change/downclock the uncore ratio I'm not sure I'll be able to get there. What is the highest safe uncore ratio to run when overclocking?

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah more BLK and less multiplayer.

Sweet upgrade

Edit. That cooler is pretty poor. Maybe buy something newer that you can keep for your next build ?

Yea the cooler isn't the greatest but I got it for £10 delivered and it's far better than the one it replaced. Couldn't stretch to a 212 plus with the budget I'm on. Already have a 4770k main system, this is just a test rig/side project I'm building

Man of Honour
Any of the fellas that bought the 6x 5690's off of me in here? I wonder if anybody is pushing them and seeing what they can do? Would be interested if you are.

Back
Top Bottom