• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Soldato
My x5670 would do 4.4 @ 1.39v, I heard the x5675 were slightly more refined as they were released a year later and would usually do up to 4.6

Associate
I have just upgraded from a x5675 that would do 4.6 but needed around 1.45v
I had it running 24/7 at 4.26ghz with 1.335v - worked flawlessly and still performed really well in all new games etc

I dont have access to the MM, so am just about to list mobo (gigabyte UD5), cpu (x5675), 12gb tri channel ram (corsair vengeance 1600mhz), h50 cooler, 900w Tagan PSU - on a famous auction site

Last edited:
Soldato
More boards die than cpus hence why the boards are expensive and the cpus are cheap.
That said i was pretty comfortable with feeding 1.4v to the cpu though i always kept QPI voltage under 1.35 as recomended for westmere.

Boards are expensive ? My CPUs are always double the price of the board. Sometimes more.

Running 1.5 thought the CPU is very unlikely to kill a board. Benchers will run way more volts through the CPU and not kill either if it's kept cool enough

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Boards are expensive ? My CPUs are always double the price of the board. Sometimes more.

Running 1.5 thought the CPU is very unlikely to kill a board. Benchers will run way more volts through the CPU and not kill either if it's kept cool enough

You may be correct in general, but not with the X58 platform currently.

Soldato
You may be correct in general, but not with the X58 platform currently.

Not sure what your referring to? Is something going to change?

My point is if someone wants to run high volts through a £8 chip who cares if it dies? I wouldn't, that's for sure. If temps get to high the system will shut down. If it's kept cool it will just degenerate the CPU resulting in it dying anyway. Very unlikely to kill the board and another can be bought for £8

Soldato

My point is if someone wants to run high volts through a £8 chip who cares if it dies? I wouldn't, that's for sure. If temps get to high the system will shut down. If it's kept cool it will just degenerate the CPU resulting in it dying anyway. Very unlikely to kill the board and another can be bought for £8
The chips may be under £20 but the decent x58 MBs often go for around £100 and the boards are more likely to fail with high voltages than the chip, bare in mind capacitors only have a certain lifespan which the boards are probably well past by now being around 10 years old so pushing too much power through them is risky as the cpus can draw over 300w when heavily overclocked.

Stu

Stu

Soldato

Please show me where you can get a decent X58 mobo for £8 :confused::eek:

Soldato
The chips may be under £20 but the decent x58 MBs often go for around £100 and the boards are more likely to fail with high voltages than the chip, bare in mind capacitors only have a certain lifespan which the boards are probably well past by now being around 10 years old so pushing too much power through them is risky as the cpus can draw over 300w when heavily overclocked.

Good excuse to upgrade a 10 year old system

Back
Top Bottom