• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Soldato
Likewise my X58 system has been doing well, but it is getting to that point where we should upgrade :D
My X58 system is still fully working but my wife wanted an upgrade so I did both of ours in one shot. It's definitely snappier when doing lots of stuff at once, e.g. opening Firefox with 20+ tabs is much quicker, transcoding is much faster (although I rarely do this). Gaming is 50/50, some games are identical others are night and day; depends how CPU dependent they are.

Associate
Tried a 5650 I bought from the bay in my daughter’s Gigabyte x58a-ud3r Rev 2.0. Upgraded to latest bios which was still good with i7-920 in. Cleared cmos using button and taking battery out for 30 mins etc.
Wouldn’t post, just power cycling every 3 seconds, so had to put 920 back in.
I assume 5650 was a dud or anyone know if x58a-udr3 won’t work? I had a 5650 in my old x58-ud5 which worked fine. She needs more rendering power for Maya & Photoshop at uni.

Soldato
It should work by the looks of it, vid of a guy overclocking an x5650 on the same board.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8_aAo-qijTo

Guessing your on the FH bios? You could try booting with 1 stick of ram or change the ram if you have any different ddr3 laying around to rule out an incompatibility there.

As you say though it could just be a dud CPU.

Associate
Ok thanks. Yeah FH BIOS.
I did remove 6gig (3 sticks of dominator ddr3) to leave just 3 sticks of Corsair XMS. Will try with 1 stick next time I visit.
Could try another CPU as a X5660 or something is only £15ish

Soldato
Ok thanks. Yeah FH BIOS.
I did remove 6gig (3 sticks of dominator ddr3) to leave just 3 sticks of Corsair XMS. Will try with 1 stick next time I visit.
Could try another CPU as a X5660 or something is only £15ish

I've got the same board with 5670 clocked to 4ghz works fine. I use a modded latest bios they've updated the Marvell controller bios also a it flashed the controller bios the first time I did a hard power up after modded bios install, and newer version of data bios controller.

Using three X 8gb modules to get 24gb on triple channel

Associate
Ok guys,i have a question,when i try to overclock now(overclocked fine before)the cpu wont boot at all tryed a few settings also removed the mb battery,Could anyone tell me why this might be?tkx,Also what score should i get in cinabench r20?And does anyone have the best overclock settings for this chipset,Thanks

https://ibb.co/256YYPx
https://ibb.co/h1Xyrgc
https://ibb.co/S0k9MCT

Last edited:
Soldato
My 5650 is still going strong. Still my main desktop PC. I'm still playing the latest game releases on it albeit with a 1060 8Gb card instead of a 760GTX but the games all run superbly at 1080p at max settings.

These chips are just bloody awesome little performers.

Soldato
My 5650 is still going strong. Still my main desktop PC. I'm still playing the latest game releases on it albeit with a 1060 8Gb card instead of a 760GTX but the games all run superbly at 1080p at max settings.

These chips are just bloody awesome little performers.

I just had a look, I bought mine from here on the MM in March 2015!

Can't believe it was that long ago.

Not once have I thought I needed to upgrade it, it runs everything great at 3440x1440P with a 1070.

Awesome chip, only cost me £175 as a bundle with an X58-UD5 and 12GB of RAM.

Has to be my best computer purchase ever.

I'll probably upgrade to a Zen 4 and DDR5 when it comes out, the fact this runs so well is why I wasn't tempted by current Ryzens.

Soldato
even though I have a ryzen 3960x I still prefer and use my x58 for gaming. I have it paired with 1080ti and play 4k and buttery smooth Doom eternal, resident evil 2/3, sekiro, tomb raider and just about every other game I throw at it. May because I am not too sensitive with frame rates, I know some need 120 but me I am happy with anything from 50-60.

Not worth upgrading to be honest.

what a great platform & cup, epic tbh, X58 First bought it in 2011 and going strong in 2020.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom