• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Soldato
I still have that board downstairs with the Xeon in and it's always been a a bit finnicky when it comes to memory speed/timings. I have only 4x4GB in it now which works fine - not tried more than that though.

Associate
Hi there.
First post in this community. Please let me know if I'm breaking some etiquette rule.

I got yesterday a X5650 for replacing my old 920. I have a GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard with 24GB (3x8G).
Thing is, while the system boots and works fine, it only recognizes 16GB. It also shows some trouble at boot time, as it tries several times to boot before success, and restarts itself a few times. This happens before the bootloader takes in, but after the bios/status screen. Seems like it solves some problem by disabling/ignoring a channel.

Searching around online I ended up here, and started to read the whole thread, where I'm sure I'll find some useful debugging data. But having ~190 pages, it takes quite some time.
Perhaps anyone know of common problems like mine? Surely it gets down to memory configuration, but don't know where to start.

Any tip would be appreciated.
Regards.

Modules in slot 1+3+5. Disabling XMP Profile and forcing the RAM specs (CL, tRCD...) will help. I had the same prob, for me (almost same CPU + same board) it was the answer.

Associate
Thank you very much for the responses gentlemen.

You may need to increase the QPI voltage with 8gb sticks. Up to 1.35 is ok.

It maybe worth testing each stick individually just to rule out a bad one.

I did increase the QPI voltage, after this comment. Sadly, it did not change the problem.
The same setup works fine with the 920, so I don't think there's anything wrong with the sticks.

you tried upping the memory voltage? Also, updated to latest bios?

Modules in slot 1+3+5. Disabling XMP Profile and forcing the RAM specs (CL, tRCD...) will help. I had the same prob, for me (almost same CPU + same board) it was the answer.

The BIOS is the latest available from Gigabyte site. Without it, the system never passed POST "b9" stage.
I don't see any XMP profile selection in this BIOS, but disabled some other profiling here and there, with no success. My memory was already in 1+3+5 disposition BTW.

In order to tune memory, I'll have to check my sticks specs. They're all HyperX Fury. I think here's all their data: https://www.hyperxgaming.com/unitedkingdom/en/memory/fury-ddr3
Thing is, if I make a mistake and have to reset the bios, it will be back to the old xeon-unbooteable version, and so I'll have to put the i7 again in order to update the bios again... and the whole process is a big PITA. So, mem voltages and timings, as well as testing the sticks, will happen on saturday morning. If anyone has any idea I could try then, you're all most welcome. I'll lurk the thread anyways, looking for tips and clues.

Soldato
Thank you very much for the responses gentlemen.

I did increase the QPI voltage, after this comment. Sadly, it did not change the problem.
The same setup works fine with the 920, so I don't think there's anything wrong with the sticks.

The BIOS is the latest available from Gigabyte site. Without it, the system never passed POST "b9" stage.
I don't see any XMP profile selection in this BIOS, but disabled some other profiling here and there, with no success. My memory was already in 1+3+5 disposition BTW.

In order to tune memory, I'll have to check my sticks specs. They're all HyperX Fury. I think here's all their data: https://www.hyperxgaming.com/unitedkingdom/en/memory/fury-ddr3
Thing is, if I make a mistake and have to reset the bios, it will be back to the old xeon-unbooteable version, and so I'll have to put the i7 again in order to update the bios again... and the whole process is a big PITA. So, mem voltages and timings, as well as testing the sticks, will happen on saturday morning. If anyone has any idea I could try then, you're all most welcome. I'll lurk the thread anyways, looking for tips and clues.
If you reset the bios it won't change to an earlier bios version so you won't lose CPU support, it will just reset to a default set up so any changes you made to clock speed / voltages will just revert to auto etc, it's actually beneficial to do this after you install ram or CPU.

What speed are you trying to run this ram at as the Xeon don't like running ram higher than 1333 unless you increase the speed using bclk.

Last edited:

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Have you changed the CPU and RAM together or just the CPU? Did 3x8GB work ok with the 920?

Have your left all other BIOS settings the same after changing CPU? The Xeon chips do need some changes... I recommend resetting BIOS to default (everything auto) and then working out settings for your new chip... Don't try to carry over settings from your 920.

Associate
If you reset the bios it won't change to an earlier bios version so you won't lose CPU support, it will just reset to a default set up so any changes you made to clock speed / voltages will just revert to auto etc, it's actually beneficial to do this after you install ram or CPU.

Thank you. You were right, of course. This is a relief.

What speed are you trying to run this ram at as the Xeon don't like running ram higher than 1333 unless you increase the speed using bclk.

Well... I believe this will be borderline heresy here, but I frankly couldn't care less about the memory speed: I prefer lots over quick. So I had it in Auto, which with the X5650 means 1333.
However, tried several configs in order to get those sticks up and running, and now I have them at 1600.
No luck whatsoever in getting the sticks online: still have only 16GB.

Have you changed the CPU and RAM together or just the CPU? Did 3x8GB work ok with the 920?

Have your left all other BIOS settings the same after changing CPU? The Xeon chips do need some changes... I recommend resetting BIOS to default (everything auto) and then working out settings for your new chip... Don't try to carry over settings from your 920.

As told to Joxeon before, I didn't had anything fancy for the 920 (all clocks in auto), and did reset the BIOS settings.

I've tried different dispositions for the sticks, different sticks, and different configs, all without success. It's weird. No matter what I do, the system only takes 16GB from the whole setup: with some dispossition it takes both sticks on channel A, sometimes 1-3, sometimes 4-5... the guy just gives up after 16GB. This WAS NOT the case when I used my old 920 with an "F6" BIOS version (now I have "F13", which is the latest).

A strange thing I see is that, even when I explicitly change some parameters, they stay the same. For example, QPI voltage: I say "1.30", no errors anywhere, boot ok, but when entering again to the BIOS screen it says "1.17" even when my configs stay applied. Same happened with the memory latency times: even when I explicitly state "10", they stayed in "9".

And another weird thing I see is that the BIOS actually detects my memory; it just don't enable some sticks. I can see that when I enter a "current status" screen. Here are two pics of two different dispositions.

SGT9HJn.jpg

QbvfQPs.jpg

Seems more like a motherboard problem than CPU. I think this may be some BIOS bug. Problem is, with the old BIOS, it didn't passed POST when using the X5650 and a single stick: it stayed in "B9". So, BIOS version definitelly changed the way memory is checked, as I saw somewhere "B9" was actually a memory setup step. I hope this isn't some hardcoded limit in the BIOS, as this mobo supports up to 48GB with 8GB sticks (I have 32 in it right now). I'm tempted to downgrade the BIOS version to see if an older one works better, but this is tiresome. I believe I'll have to be patient with this and read a lot online about this motherboard.

Soldato
Have you tried changing memory multipier to X8.

A strange thing I see is that, even when I explicitly change some parameters, they stay the same. For example, QPI voltage: I say "1.30", no errors anywhere, boot ok, but when entering again to the BIOS screen it says "1.17" even when my configs stay applied. Same happened with the memory latency times: even when I explicitly state "10", they stayed in "9".

Can you post an image from this screen.

mit.jpg

Maybe worth checking CPU for any bent pins as this can cause ram slots to stop working.

Last edited:
Associate
Well... finally made it work.
It took hours of experiments, but at the end got the X5650 with 32GB@1333 (4x8GB, Kingston HyperX Fury) on my GA-EX58-UD5.
Here's what I did, for anyone else doing this:

1) BIOS version f13.
2) The disposition for my sticks is 3-4-5-6. Whenever I try to use 1-2, I get lots of trouble and can't get over 16GB (as seen on screenshots). I guess this is some single/dual/triple channel stuff I frankly don't have the patience to learn right now.
3) BLK 133. Any other setup I've tried ends up with 16GB or 8GB. And this was the case with both i7-920 And Xeon X5650, and with any of this BIOS verions: f6, f10, f12, and f13.
4) Memory multipler auto (or 8x for 1066, or 10x for 1333).
5) CPU multiplier at turbo multiplier. Somehow, it doesn't like 20x and wants 21 for the 920 and 22 for the X5650.

With this, I got my current system at ~3GHz. That's surelly sub-standard for an overclocker community, and most likely improvable by investing time reading and configuring. Yet, it's ok for me, and I'm very happy with the upgrade.
Thank you all.

Soldato
Soldato
Love how this thread just keeps going.

I buy used x58 mobo's when I see them going cheap. They make a excellent fortnight PC for friends and family
Thinking of selling mine actually. Nothing wrong with it but I have no use for it. Too power hungry to use as a server and no IGP so not useful as an HTPC either (without spending on a GPU). Just takes up space.

Soldato
You could downclock and undervolt ?

This can be done for almost all platforms. X58 was a great way to get a cheap 6 core back in the day, though now there are much better options (cheap Ryzen) that are much faster, have modern connectivity/features and are far better for the environment (much more power efficient).

Soldato
This can be done for almost all platforms. X58 was a great way to get a cheap 6 core back in the day, though now there are much better options (cheap Ryzen) that are much faster, have modern connectivity/features and are far better for the environment (much more power efficient).

That's all great but i talking about a setup he's already got and using that for a server.

Associate
Recently decided to replace my x5670 with a x5675 cause £20 on ebay, my x5670 had a fairly weak memory controller and was at the qpi limit 1.35v still managed 4.2ghz with 175 bus. new chip will do the same 4.2ghz at 200 bus qpi is a good chunk lower 1.275v.

Other reason was just to satisfy my curiosity of whether the bus limit was cpu or motherboard, everything i had read online said it was the board but i had suspicions it was the cpu at least in my case this was true.

Back
Top Bottom