• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Associate
She's alive!!

Just joined the X58 Xeon club with a nice little X5675 plugged into my Asus P6X58D-E.

Got some work to do to sort out RAM cause she didn't like 1600mhz, which is the rated speed for my sticks. I'd appreciate some advise on what to tweek to sort that out if anyone's got any guidance?

Also not started with any attempts to overclock yet. Again I might need some hand holding with that as I'm an OC novice :)

Soldato
Sorry to dig up an older post but this isn't how you use IBT. "Standard" isn't a stress test.

Without getting into the details, you need to increase the memory usage so that the GFLOPS column is higher, at least 80 at that speed with 6 cores.

It will take longer per loop but will actually be a good stress test then.

Only problem with IBT is that it doesn't come with instructions.

Edit: corrected because it's Gulftown and doesn't have AVX, so GFLOPS = 4 * cores * clock speed, not 8 as it is for SB/IB.

I know mate,

Here you go:

I've only got 6GB of ram at the moment but I'll have 12GB soon.

;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
Pretty chuffed with these. Got a 5650 running at 4Ghz stable on air, and getting a cpu score of 920 in cinebench 15. Replaced an old i7 920 which was also at 4Ghz, but only getting 580 in CB. Will definitely keep my p6x58d-e running a while longer.

The multi is a strange one though, goes up to 22x but is missing 21x...

Soldato
She's alive!!

Just joined the X58 Xeon club with a nice little X5675 plugged into my Asus P6X58D-E.

Got some work to do to sort out RAM cause she didn't like 1600mhz, which is the rated speed for my sticks. I'd appreciate some advise on what to tweek to sort that out if anyone's got any guidance?

Also not started with any attempts to overclock yet. Again I might need some hand holding with that as I'm an OC novice :)

Nice, welcome aboard :) Is the ram running at 1333MHz? If so, I'd try upping the RAM voltage a bit, the range is normally 1.5-1.65. Mines currently set at 1.6 and then specifying the ram speed of 1600 in the settings and see if that works.

Soldato
Pretty chuffed with these. Got a 5650 running at 4Ghz stable on air, and getting a cpu score of 920 in cinebench 15. Replaced an old i7 920 which was also at 4Ghz, but only getting 580 in CB. Will definitely keep my p6x58d-e running a while longer.

The multi is a strange one though, goes up to 22x but is missing 21x...

Thats a great overclock on air :) The westmeres run a lot cooler than the gulftowns so that helps with overclocking. That cinebench score is great, what speed is your ram running at? Yeah, those multi's are weird, you can pretty much ignore the top 2 multi's as the 21 wont set and the 22 wont result in the cores reaching max speed anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
Thats a great overclock on air :) The westmeres run a lot cooler than the gulftowns so that helps with overclocking. That cinebench score is great, what speed is your ram running at? Yeah, those multi's are weird, you can pretty much ignore the top 2 multi's as the 21 wont set and the 22 wont result in the cores reaching max speed anyway.

The ram is 24Gb corsair vengeance pro silver 1866 but running at 1600 - bus is at 200. Happy enough. Also have one dropped into a gigabyte ud3r, but the bus won't run fully stable at anything over 180.

I wonder how long I'll be happy with these results once the x99 benchies start appearing!

Soldato
Hey tribz

Any chance you could do a IBT like my post #162 at 4.4?

I'd like to see the difference.

Here you go ...

My first test completed but the temps got into the 90's and then I remembered I was still using the crappy tim that I found in the drawer. A super thin application of MX2 and its back in the 60's. I had to up the vcore to 1.36 for a maximum run, it wouldnt complete at 1.35

Tell me, why does your test complete quicker than mine?

bench6.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Just got a x5650, but being such a noob was wondering if I can just swap the chip without reinstalling windows?
The chip has no writing on the ihs and has a small sticker over the capacitor
any help most welcome :)

Sure, as long as your motherboard supports it without a BIOS update, just swap it over.

Odd that its got no writing at all on it. Is that sticker on the bottom then? I'd remove it but thats just me :)

Soldato
just banged a 5650 in and got it running except every time I change any mutlipliers in bios even by one step it fails to boot then does an emergency boot at stock settings, anyone got any ideas?

motherboard is a gigabyte x58ud5 rev 1 running f13 bios

Soldato
Tell me, why does your test complete quicker than mine?

That is a good result. It's taken longer because you're both using "max" memory but you've got a lot more memory installed, so the problem size is bigger and it takes longer to solve.

You might actually have used too much and got some swapping because the first loop is quite a bit faster than the rest. You could re-run it with less, maybe 5-8 GB to check.

Peak performance at that clock would be 105 GFLOPS so you want as close to that as poss really.

Associate
My 5650 is up and running in my Gigabyte EX-UD5. I have my memory running at 1600 (increased the voltage to 1.540) and the chip is sitting happily at 4.0Ghz and at a steady 59c.

Considering my i7 920 would barely reach 3.6, this is a pretty vast improvement i'm seeing for very little outlay (I've made 935 on Cinebench).

Best £60 i've spent in a while I think and thumbs up to this thread for planting the idea in my head :)

Back
Top Bottom