• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Soldato
Air Cooler for 5650

I have kept my 5650, and installed in a supermicro server board. PC is all built and sort of running fine. The heat sink I had spare I don't think is up to the job. The pc is stable except when I run intel burn test. the cpu rockets to 80degrees and then windows bluescreens. all the onboard fans are PWM and they all throttle up fine inc cpu. but I think the simple fact is the CPU fan and heatsink cant remove the heat quick enough.

I think the current heatsink is this one, or very similar.
YOUR BASKET
1 x Xigmatek Praeton LD963 CPU Cooler £14.99
Total : £17.96 (includes shipping : £2.48 Ex.VAT).

could any one recommend one that's up to the job, isn't very expensive, I was thinking one of these, but even that's qujite a lot for cpu only worth £60

YOUR BASKET
1 x Alpenföhn Brocken CPU Cooler £32.99
Total : £38.96 (includes shipping : £4.98 Ex.VAT).

Soldato
I have kept my 5650, and installed in a supermicro server board. PC is all built and sort of running fine. The heat sink I had spare I don't think is up to the job. The pc is stable except when I run intel burn test. the cpu rockets to 80degrees and then windows bluescreens. all the onboard fans are PWM and they all throttle up fine inc cpu. but I think the simple fact is the CPU fan and heatsink cant remove the heat quick enough.

I think the current heatsink is this one, or very similar.
YOUR BASKET
1 x Xigmatek Praeton LD963 CPU Cooler £14.99
Total : £17.96 (includes shipping : £2.48 Ex.VAT).

could any one recommend one that's up to the job, isn't very expensive, I was thinking one of these, but even that's qujite a lot for cpu only worth £60

YOUR BASKET
1 x Alpenföhn Brocken CPU Cooler £32.99
Total : £38.96 (includes shipping : £4.98 Ex.VAT).

I'd get the Alpenfohn.

It's a £60 CPU that beats current £200+ processors.

Skimp on cooling I would not.

Soldato
Right so for anyone thats read my predicament on the previous page, here's an update:

New cpu arrived today so I've put it in, aaand... same result. It's a no go. After a bit of further digging, I've read that some people have had issues with getting them to overclock and setting the ram voltage to 1.65v allowed them to overcome those issues. My current ram are these Patriot Vipers. They're rated at 1.65, but the voltage in my BIOS is set to auto and changing up or down starts from 1.5v. Stupid question, but will I do any harm changing the dram voltage to 1.65v to see if that's my issue?

Cheers,

Soldato
Right so for anyone thats read my predicament on the previous page, here's an update:

New cpu arrived today so I've put it in, aaand... same result. It's a no go. After a bit of further digging, I've read that some people have had issues with getting them to overclock and setting the ram voltage to 1.65v allowed them to overcome those issues. My current ram are these Patriot Vipers. They're rated at 1.65, but the voltage in my BIOS is set to auto and changing up or down starts from 1.5v. Stupid question, but will I do any harm changing the dram voltage to 1.65v to see if that's my issue?

Cheers,

Won't do any harm manually set the voltage.

Mine runs at 1.58V.

Associate
What's your QPI frequency at? I couldn't post at anything above stock for ages until i realised "auto" was way out. Had to drop to 2600 and work my way up.

Associate
I have a x5675 which I bought off the bay. CPU-Z detected it as an engineering sample (es), hwmonitor says it is a Q4SF chip. But the chip itself is clearly labelled as 'SLBYL'. What do you guys make of this?

2m7u2r6.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
What's your QPI frequency at? I couldn't post at anything above stock for ages until i realised "auto" was way out. Had to drop to 2600 and work my way up.

Ah interesting. I have an option for 'QPI Configuration', and in there the settings are:

QPI Links Speed: High-Speed Mode
QPI Frequency: 4.800GT

Do these look out?

Associate
If you're running your setting as in your sig i'd say yes. I'm guessing your ram multi is at 8 so start with your QPI at x12. If you get it to boot and get everything stable you can then try and sneak it up to x16 or x17.

Mine was defaulting to x19 and it didn't like it at all.

Soldato
If you're running your setting as in your sig i'd say yes. I'm guessing your ram multi is at 8 so start with your QPI at x12. If you get it to boot and get everything stable you can then try and sneak it up to x16 or x17.

Mine was defaulting to x19 and it didn't like it at all.

My sig is about 6 years old, I'm too lazy to update it. :D

These are my current settings, from the bios: http://imgur.com/a/yMIqi

They're practically default settings.

Associate
Turns our your memory ratio is still x8 (133x8 = 1066). Go into QPI configuration and there should be an option to change the ratio from Auto to x12 (for these chips the QPI ratio should be x1.5 your ram ratio as a starting point and generally no more than x2).

Might be wrong, some of the guys here have managed to get higher QPI ratios but for me it was the one thing stopped any clocking at all.

Soldato
Turns our your memory ratio is still x8 (133x8 = 1066). Go into QPI configuration and there should be an option to change the ratio from Auto to x12 (for these chips the QPI ratio should be x1.5 your ram ratio as a starting point and generally no more than x2).

Might be wrong, some of the guys here have managed to get higher QPI ratios but for me it was the one thing stopped any clocking at all.

There's only 3 options in QPI Config and the lowest is 4.800GT, which yields the same results as previous. :(

Edit - Just found a thread on Reddit that describes exactly the same issue with the same board, and says was solved by manually setting the RAM timings. I've asked the OP for settings, so fingers crossed on a response. Upon looking at my own, all my timings are auto.

Last edited:
Associate
Apparently some of the asus boards report the QPI freq as double so it shouldn't be an issue anyway if that's the case.

Hope the ram timing works out for you!

Soldato
Success!

Changed the ram timings manually to what was on the box (8-8-8-24) and I've managed a 3.8GHz overclock with 190BCLK and 1.2v vcore.

Load temps are mid 50's, so I think there's room for more. However setting the BCLK to 200 results in a blue screen before I even get into Windows. Is this a case for more voltage or memory adjustments?

My current settings in cpuz:

QFChgJS.jpg

Soldato
It seems I can't enter the exact cpu voltage. It's on auto, and making any changes will result in +0.010, +0.020 etc. Under load, the voltage shown in cpuz jumps around from 1.192 to 1.232 :confused:

The voltage controls can be seen here: http://i.imgur.com/A7OQ8NR.jpg

Any ideas on how to approach this without frying anything? :D

Associate
It seems I can't enter the exact cpu voltage. It's on auto, and making any changes will result in +0.010, +0.020 etc.
Your CPU Voltage setting literally shows things like +1.300 instead of 1.300? Are some values negative? If so, this might indicate a dynamic voltage setting.

There's only 3 options in QPI Config and the lowest is 4.800GT, which yields the same results as previous. :(
Rollo is referring to your Uncore Ratio setting which is likely quite high for the Xeon now that your Bclck has been raised to 190.

Soldato
Your CPU Voltage setting literally shows things like +1.300 instead of 1.300? Are some values negative? If so, this might indicate a dynamic voltage

Yeah, its more a voltage adjustment than a setting. Its hard to determine the exact voltage, unless I'm misreading it. Above 190, it bluescreens before getting into windows. I'm thinking of adding more volts but want to understand it a bit better before I risk frying anything (even though I have a spare chip!).

Edit - So after some messing around I figured out the voltage control. Set it to 1.35v and still no luck at 200bclk, it bluescreens before getting into Windows. I think this shows the boards weak limitations in overclocking, but I'm certainly more satisfied with 3.8GHz than the stock 2.6 I was getting last week!

If anyone has any other tips however, then feel free to share. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom