• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14th Gen "Raptor Lake Refresh"

Probably the best, most realistic, assessment I have seen suggested yet around here so far.

Meteor Lake looks promising though, from what little info we have so far and I really like the tile design. I do wonder how what the equivalent of IF will be like for it, and how well optimised it will be at the first iteration.
Be nice if it was a drop in cpu for Z690/Z790.

I do not have a problem with some amount of hybrid arch especially in the laptop space where e cores belong. But choosing to make it so you cannot get more than 8 P cores on the enthusiast desktop is not a good move. That's why I am going all AMD. Intel can win me back by just releasing a desktop CPU with 10-12 Golden Cove/Raptor Cove or whatever they are called in future P cores that equal or beat AMD and you got a buyer in me.

And it would not of made sense to stay AMD back before the Ryzen era cause even though AMD offered high core counts, those Bulldozer and Pilediver cores were so beyond pathetic it was not even funny. If AMD was still like that today, I would go Intel still despite the 8 P core cap. But Zen 3 cores while a little behind Golden Cove cores are still very very good cores. In fact the gap of Golden Cove over Zen 3 at same clock speed is not even as great as gap between K8 and Conroe across the board.
True, in laptop space it could be excellent thing, but in desktop i don't need it, give im 10-12 P cores and i'm happy. Once 3d stacking cores comes Intel will probably kill big/little because with 3d stacking cores they won't have problems with putting more than 8 P cores, big/little design is compromise, partial solution to offer more cores, not perfect/better solution.

We have no solid data for MTL skus yet.

RPL is just an optimization/refresh of ADL.

If you think of it as ADL+ that’s probably fair.

Yes true. Would you also say Zen 4 is just an optimization/refresh of Zen 3 but with a new socket and chipset and DDR5? Or is that a bigger change?

Cause also Raptor Lake is also coming with a new chipset as well though it is a drop in upgrade on existing.

I know almost all reports say that Zen 4 will not have DDR4, but AMD could put ir on AM4 if they wanted as it exists in their lab.

It's gonna bring AMD to new platform but fact it exists in lab on AM4 it's likely a refresh and optimization of Zen 3.

So end of this year it will be refresh competition against refresh??

Do you think real fun and evolution begins with Meteor Lake and Zen 5?

Or do you see any ground breaking excitement for either Raptor Lake or Zen 4 other than Zen 4 being able to use and actually requiring DDR5 on new chipset?

Last edited:
I know almost all reports say that Zen 4 will not have DDR4, but AMD could put ir on AM4 if they wanted as it exists in their lab.
AMD chips are a lot more ram speed sensitive though for the current generation compared to Intels so maybe zen4 is much slower with ddr4 compared to dd5 and not worth them doing a ddr4 board

AMD chips are a lot more ram speed sensitive though for the current generation compared to Intels so maybe zen4 is much slower with ddr4 compared to dd5 and not worth them doing a ddr4 board
That's true although I also know AMD chips really benefit from low latency RAM. Thing is DDR5 now has much higher latency than DDR4 but much more speed so more bandwidth.

Plus with Ryzen in contrast to Intel there is a much bigger performance penalty of CPU and whole system if of RAM Is not run 1:1 where as Intel not as big of deal.

Hopefully infinity fabric on Zen 4 can run at least 2400MHz or else it's gonna get hit with even slowest 4800MHz DDR5.

Last edited:
That's true although I also know AMD chips really benefit from low latency RAM. Thing is DDR5 now has much higher latency than DDR4 but much more speed so more bandwidth.

Plus with Ryzen in contrast to Intel there is a much bigger performance penalty of CPU and whole system if of RAM Is not run 1:1 where as Intel not as big of deal.

Hopefully infinitum fabric on Zen 4 can run at least 2400MHz or else it's gonna get hit with even slowest 4800MHz DDR5.
Gloflo node on previous designs were little bottleneck, that's why IF and RAM OC capabilities were low, this time they use full TSMC nodes, and AMD said many times that Zen 4 will have excellent RAM OC capabilities which isn't surprise considering they use TSMC node, and they are working much more and have better relationship with RAM vendors than in the past. What i'm curious is how good will be Intel first chiplet design, it isn't easy to create it, and it takes many years to master it and polish, even with all money and R&D budget in the world, and Intel is having trouble in server, hedt and GPU segment, they use much of budget to make sure these products arrives as soon as it can get, but still delays and problems.

We have no solid data for MTL skus yet.

RPL is just an optimization/refresh of ADL.

If you think of it as ADL+ that’s probably fair.

+ 8 cores, increased L2, L3 cache, core architecture changes on 'E' core, new power features, improved IMC, increased clock speed, sure, typical refresh just like intel did between i7 4770k - 4790k (Devil's Caynon) right? :D (I'm being sarcastic for those unaware)

Of course we have AMD to thank for getting Intel into gear :)

+ 8 cores, increased L2, L3 cache, core architecture changes on 'E' core, new power features, improved IMC, increased clock speed, sure, typical refresh just like intel did between i7 4770k - 4790k (Devil's Caynon) right? :D (I'm being sarcastic for those unaware)

Of course we have AMD to thank for getting Intel into gear :)

Raptor lake looks like it's an architecture refresh with minimal change there but the actual CPU feature is different enough, as you mentioned: lower voltages, more cores, more cache and higher clocks

Obviously meteor lake will be a bigger change, it has 3D stacking and foveros chiplets, potential for a big upgrade on performance of iGPU onboard and likely again more cores as well as rumoured architecture changes like completely different architecture on E cores

Meteor Lake mobile spec leak

• Triple-Hybrid CPU Architecture (P/E/LP-E Cores)
  • Brand New Redwood Cove (P-Cores)
  • Brand New Crestmont (E-Cores)
  • Up To 14 Cores (6+8) For H/P Series & Up To 12 Cores (4+8) For U Series CPUs
  • Intel 4 Process Node For CPU, TSMC 3nm For tGPU
  • Intel Battlemage 'Xe-LPG' GPU With Up To 128 EUs
  • Up To LPDDR5X-7467 & DDR5-5200 Support
  • Up To 96 GB DDR5 & 64 GB LPDDR5X Capacities
  • Intel VPU For AI Inferencing With Atom Cores
  • x8 Gen 5 Lanes For Discrete GPU (Only H-Series)
  • Triple x4 M.2 Gen 4 SSD Support
  • Four Thunderbolt 4 Ports

Meteor Lake mobile spec leak

• Triple-Hybrid CPU Architecture (P/E/LP-E Cores)
  • Brand New Redwood Cove (P-Cores)
  • Brand New Crestmont (E-Cores)
  • Up To 14 Cores (6+8) For H/P Series & Up To 12 Cores (4+8) For U Series CPUs
  • Intel 4 Process Node For CPU, TSMC 3nm For tGPU
  • Intel Battlemage 'Xe-LPG' GPU With Up To 128 EUs
  • Up To LPDDR5X-7467 & DDR5-5200 Support
  • Up To 96 GB DDR5 & 64 GB LPDDR5X Capacities
  • Intel VPU For AI Inferencing With Atom Cores
  • x8 Gen 5 Lanes For Discrete GPU (Only H-Series)
  • Triple x4 M.2 Gen 4 SSD Support
  • Four Thunderbolt 4 Ports

Hoping the new 'P' and 'E' cores have > 10% IPC ;)

Also be very interesting to see how Intel's 7nm shapes up ('Intel 4' as they're calling it). Intels 10nm had so many issues, which delayed it for years. So far all signs point to Intel 7nm being much quicker out of the gate - lets hope yields and frequency performance are right up there!

Intel Meteor Lake’s “Redwood Cove” and “Crestmont” architectures confirmed​

PBEg3Sr.jpg

Source: https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-meteor-lakes-redwood-cove-and-crestmont-architectures-confirmed

Videocardz said:
The rumors about Redwood Cove architecture are dated as far back as November 2020, when it was first mentioned by Moore’s Law is Dead. This rumor is finally finding its confirmation though leaked Microsoft Perfmon logs.

According to the data shared by @InstLatX64, upcoming 14th Gen Core “Meteor Lake” will feature two architectures: the big core known as Core/Performance will be based on Redwood Cove microarchitecture, while the small/Efficient core is supposedly based on Crestmont.

Meteor Lake is a successor to Raptor Lake, a new hybrid architecture designed for desktops and mobile devices. It should not be expected sooner than next year though. This architecture will be the first consumer product series to feature Intel 4 process technology.

Furthermore, Meteor Lake is to feature an entirely new Intel Xe-LPG graphics architecture with increased core count. Intel teased up to 192 Execution Units, while recent leaks suggest it’s actually 128EU for the laptop series.

The 14th Gen Core series may also ship with a third type of core implemented into the SoC die (not Compute). Only two such low-power cores are to be used by Meteor Lake CPUs.

Raptor lake and Z790 boards apparently to be shown off by Intel on 28'September, reviews and pre orders to go live the same day and retail stock will be available on 17 October

On 17 October only 3 models will be in stock, the 13900k, 13700k and 13600k with other models and the more budget H770/B760 boards to come in 2023

Raptor lake and Z790 boards apparently to be shown off by Intel on 28'September, reviews and pre orders to go live the same day and retail stock will be available on 17 October

On 17 October only 3 models will be in stock, the 13900k, 13700k and 13600k with other models and the more budget H770/B760 boards to come in 2023

Wrong thread. ;)

Do you think real fun and evolution begins with Meteor Lake and Zen 5?
I'd say so, both Zen 4 and RPL look uninspiring so far if your currently running Zen 3 or ADL.

I plan to skip both and sit on my 5800X for another year or so and see how things develop by which time DDR5 speeds should improve to hopefully around 8-10,000 so I won't have to buy twice.

I'd say so, both Zen 4 and RPL look uninspiring so far if your currently running Zen 3 or ADL.

I plan to skip both and sit on my 5800X for another year or so and see how things develop by which time DDR5 speeds should improve to hopefully around 8-10,000 so I won't have to buy twice.

Yes true. All Raptor Lake is doing is adding more e-waste cores. And the p-cores have almost no IPC improvement. Zen 4 looks like a Zen 3 refresh with improved clocks and very little IPC improvement. Golden Cove already has 15-20% better IPC at same clock speed across most workloads compared Zen 3 so Zen 4 will still be behind Golden Cove IPC with only an 8% IPC uplift.

Zen 4 though does bring exciting platform improvements like PCI-E Gen 5 on whole chipset of X670E. Though I do not care about that but those who desire Gen 5 PCI-E SSDs it could be great.

With Raptor Lake, they could be monster gaming chips with the added L3 cache and be what the 5800X3D was to 5800X when you shut off e-waste cores. They may be the best 8 core powerhouse chips around with ability to super clock 8 P cores the ring so high with 40-45MB L3 cache instead of 25-30MB on 8 P core Alder Lake counterparts. I bet that gives a big boost to gaming when shutting down e-waste cores and you have the best 8 core 16 thread productivity chip with a Core i7 13700K.

But Zen 5 is going to bring 16 cores per CCD so first chip with modern arch with more than 8 cores on one CCD/ring for no high latency penalty to cross. That could be big especially if you want more than 8 cores on same CCD/ring with no cross latency penalty.

Meteor Lake who knows what it is going to be. t looked like an 8+24, then they changed to 3 different cores types. They may keep changing it. Hopefully more than 8 super fast P cores or at least 8 P cores with a super high clocks and IPC uplift of 50% or more.

Back
Top Bottom