• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14th Gen "Raptor Lake Refresh"

What did i say about tuned CPU's? a 5950X at 4.8Ghz scores about 32K

Untuned it scores higher than that at about 120 watts.
Yes but how much does it consume for 4.8ghz all core? My guess is 250+. Which is my point all along....any CPU at these clockspeeds is going to be atrocious when it comes to efficiency.

Yes but how much does it consume for 4.8ghz all core? My guess is 250+. Which is my point all along....any CPU at these clockspeeds is going to be atrocious when it comes to efficiency.

I don't have one but as i said before my single CCD is about 100 watts at 4.8Ghz, the 5950X has two. You're probably not far away but its not over 250 watts.

Good read. It'll be nice to see Intel and AMD compete on a more equal process footing. Zen3 being on TSMC's 7nm while Intel was still on 14nm with Cometlake, Rocketlake meant they had a huge process advantage. Intel 7 (10nm) with 12th gen gave Intel the overall performance crown back once again, though AMD is about to jump to TSMC's 5nm, so exciting times ahead!

sorry to butt in but I find this power / performance war is very amusing.

This from

"The “Golden Cove” core is used in the forthcoming “Sapphire Rapids” Xeon SP processor etched with Intel’s refined 10 nanometer SuperFIN process, known as Intel 7 now, so this Power-Performance-Area, or PPA, comparison is apt for the datacenter as well as for the desktop. Normalized for an 8-core, 16-thread chip running at 3.9 GHz, the Zen 3 core has 45 percent less area, burns 45 percent less power, and offers a smidgen more performance, which equates to a 78 percent better performance per watt. (AMD is mixing data for 8-core and 16-core chips in the chart above, which is annoying.)"

Personally, I can't wait for CDNA3, the DC APU. Got to have super efficiency to cram that into a chip.

This from

"The “Golden Cove” core is used in the forthcoming “Sapphire Rapids” Xeon SP processor etched with Intel’s refined 10 nanometer SuperFIN process, known as Intel 7 now, so this Power-Performance-Area, or PPA, comparison is apt for the datacenter as well as for the desktop. Normalized for an 8-core, 16-thread chip running at 3.9 GHz, the Zen 3 core has 45 percent less area, burns 45 percent less power, and offers a smidgen more performance, which equates to a 78 percent better performance per watt. (AMD is mixing data for 8-core and 16-core chips in the chart above, which is annoying.)"

Personally, I can't wait for CDNA3, the DC APU. Got to have super efficiency to cram that into a chip.

This reminds me of Cloudflare and their reasoning for going EPYC instead of Ice Lake.

We evaluated Intel’s latest generation of “Ice Lake” Xeon processors. Although Intel’s chips were able to compete with AMD in terms of raw performance, the power consumption was several hundred watts higher per server - that’s enormous. This meant that Intel’s Performance per Watt was unattractive.

This from

That is absolute rubbish. Basically a 5800x at 45 watts outperforms a 12900k with ecores off at 75 watts? Lol, fine, lets put it to the test. Humbug has a 5800x, ask him to upload a cbr23 at 45 watts, the 12900 will absolutely annihilate it at 75 watts.

I cant fathom how you can accept that rubbish as facts. Its mind boggling. Unless im missing something, a zen 3 core at 3.9GHz CANNOT outperform a golden cove core at 3.9 ghz. There is a big ipc difference.

That is absolute rubbish. Basically a 5800x at 45 watts outperforms a 12900k with ecores off at 75 watts? Lol, fine, lets put it to the test. Humbug has a 5800x, ask him to upload a cbr23 at 45 watts, the 12900 will absolutely annihilate it at 75 watts.

I cant fathom how you can accept that rubbish as facts. Its mind boggling

I'm still waiting on that 33 watt 15,000 points Cinebench run video.

Because its pretty well established at this point Golden Cove cores are much less efficient than Zen 3 cores.

The 12900 still has 16 cores.
So thats why im asking you to run your 5800x at 45w,and ill run my 12900 with ecores OFF at 75w. As the article suggests, your 5800 will outperform my 12900. So lets test it. I bet a paycheck, it will be a massacre...

Prove your claim that golden cove cores are less efficient

Back
Top Bottom