• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14th Gen "Raptor Lake Refresh"

Associate
Yeah planning to grab one as well as so far held off from the 13900KS , 14900k but do want something new to play with .... Cooling wont be an issue as will be getting delidded much like the 13900k is :cool:

Soldato
I would guess that you will see similar clock rates with Arrow Lake but at a significantly lower voltage.

There was a diagram a while ago which showed how the Intel 4* process would be designed to reduce voltage.

Like Intel 3/4, Intel 20a will be a EUV process.

Intel needs to copy AMD's method of thermal limits on AM5 (allowing the temp to be easily limited in the BIOS) , it'd better imo.

*This was with Intel 4 (e.g Meteor Lake) - Intel 20a should be even better than that, or equivalent.

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Yeah planning to grab one as well as so far held off from the 13900KS , 14900k but do want something new to play with .... Cooling wont be an issue as will be getting delidded much like the 13900k is :cool:

13900KS and 14900K are more or less the same when you look at the VIDs. However, an element depends on the silicone lottery as you could get a bad egg 14900K.

As an example, my Intel CPUs are the following:

13900K SP 108 (SP P120)
13900KS SP 114 (SP P121)
14900K SP 104
14900K SP 95

I've had all of them running on all cores at 6 GHz with various games. However, once they are delidded they are straightforward and too cool with something like the Iceman etc... Just for god sake avoid the EK DD stuff, it is proper rubbish as I have tested about 4/5 examples before giving up on it.

That said, I have had the KS and 14900K well over 6Ghz on all cores due to the better silicon.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I would guess that you will see similar clock rates with Arrow Lake but at a significantly lower voltage.

There was a diagram a while ago which showed how the Intel 4* process would be designed to reduce voltage.

Like Intel 3/4, Intel 20a will be a EUV process.

Intel needs to copy AMD's method of thermal limits on AM5 (allowing the temp to be easily limited in the BIOS) , it'd better imo.

*This was with Intel 4 (e.g Meteor Lake) - Intel 20a should be even better than that, or equivalent.

If you believe the current rumour mill, with the likes of MILD etc... I was under the impression it didn't clock as high as the current ones I guess that is what makes things interesting with all the speculation.

You have full thermal control in several places in the BIOS but depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Associate
13900KS and 14900K are more or less the same when you look at the VIDs. However, an element depends on the silicone lottery as you could get a bad egg 14900K.

As an example, my Intel CPUs are the following:

13900K SP 108 (SP P120)
13900KS SP 114 (SP P121)
14900K SP 104
14900K SP 95

I've had all of them running on all cores at 6 GHz with various games. However, once they are delidded they are straightforward and too cool with something like the Iceman etc... Just for god sake avoid the EK DD stuff, it is proper rubbish as I have tested about 4/5 examples before giving up on it.

That said, I have had the KS and 14900K well over 6Ghz on all cores due to the better silicon.

I've got an average 13900k SP100 (P109) so as long as i don't lose the silicone then should be a nice uplift :D

Yeah now on the Iceman and tbh one of the best moves i done for cooling after trying so hard with the EK DD kit and becoming more and more disappointed after every attempt to fix it :rolleyes: For reference here are temps i get at stock with the Iceman running R23 , can cool 450W but that's about its limit on my setup with ambient temps in the mid 20 .

20231230-125507.jpg

20240119-181736.jpg

Soldato
PSA MSI just released new bios for their boards to disable excessive current excursions unless you ask for it

This is to address the recent complaints of PCs crashing while doing shader compilation compiling in modern Unreal Engine 5 games. The issue is because the default motherboard settings pre overclock Intel CPUs and they are pushed beyond their stability point and it's now becoming a problem in some games

The new BIOS will lower current limits and lower clock speeds for 13th/14th Gen CPUs to address the instability

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Only really the 14900K AFAIK and it isn't a hardware defect as some people are saying but rather a combination of hardware/firmware factors (might be some even more fringe cases of other 13th and 14th gen CPUs exhibiting it).

Back
Top Bottom