• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1800X to 7700K ?

Soldato
5GHz for 7700K is very realistic... Late batches from Malaysia can do 5GHz AVX stable at 1.26v, and even 5.2GHz SSE stable at 1.33v.

It remains to be seen whether 8700K can do so good, but early passmark numbers of 7740X also looks better than 7700K.

All good, I just looked at your numbers and they screamed wrongness. I see where you are coming from now.

Soldato
Found someone that logged his performance in WoW Trial of Valor raid. 1700X at stock with GTX 1080, and RAM at 3200Mhz.

So yeah a 7700K overclocked to 4.8 or 4.9Ghz will be faster, but it seems at 1440p the 1700X is doing well despite it's clock speed at stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sIF6toVPko
ykiE1Eo.png
8Jpn6To.png

MT2LX4V.png

Chap recorded a massive session that shows the areas the FPS can tank, it's mostly cities. Even in dungeons and PvP his Ryzen system is in the 80-90s.

And his post is from March 3rd!!!!!!!! Very early AGESA, with ram speed around 2400-2666 at best.

As initially wrote. The TS has to run MSI AB with overlay showing all cores. He will find out that none of them runs at 100% constantly, if ever. And will gain more performance if overclocks his RAM from 3000 to 3200/3466 than massively downgrading to 7700K.

Games like WOW, WOT etc even if they are single thread games, doesn't mean they consume 100% of the core capacity. They are limited to their engine and settings.

Soldato
He will find out that none of them runs at 100% constantly, if ever.

If you set affinity in task manager then you'll see 100% on one logical core for CPU-bound (single-thread-bound) scenes.

If you install Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 for X299 CPUs, then Windows will also be able to identify the core with the best OC'ability and turbo boost, and automatically lock a single thread's affinity to it.

Associate
Utterly pointless.

The 1800x may not be the fastest CPU for wow but it's fast enough.

I have to agree with this.

The 1800X is not responsible for those frames tanking so badly. It's just insane to throw away a perfectly good CPU on the grounds that a 10 year old game is not optimized for it.

In all seriousness, if playing WOW is effectively the sole purpose of the PC then an i3 7350k would have been the best option.

There will be some tinkering to do to get it to play nice with older games like WOW but it is seriously short sighted to jump to a different platform that is on it's last legs anyway

Soldato
@Dicehunter

Why I said you need to raise the speed of the RAM. Have a look at this, were hitman is a CPU limited game.

68n8LJN.png

Also have a look here. WOT is a single thread DX9 game and the res is at 1080p, at 2560x1440 you play, any CPU difference makes no sense.
(The screenshot bellow is with 3200C15 ram)

Capture_zpsbpk1nfzc.png

OcUK Staff
Ok so, I play a lot of games and especially in WoW even with the 1800X at 2560x1440P, 25FPS is not uncommon and that's not in raids, That's just in the countryside or in towns, I get such extremely low CPU and GPU usage and I can guarantee the CPU is the bottleneck here.

Would I be nuts going from a 4GHz 1800X to a 5GHz 7700K if it's just for gaming and some light encoding now and then ?
Just changed to binned 5.3ghz 7740K with high memory and cache.

Permabanned
Just changed to binned 5.3ghz 7740K with high memory and cache.
A few years ago I used to quite look forward to reading your generally informative posts but nowadays your posts seem to give me the same feeling as getting those PPI phone calls.

Gee

Gee

Soldato
Cant you force WOW to use multi core?

Unsure if this is beneficial or even relevant these days.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/CVar_processAffinityMask

They took this out after Lich King iirc. Doesn't work anymore.

@ OP - Wouldn't be worth the switch imo. WoW engine is over 13 years old and I highly doubt Blizzard will make it multi-threaded and optimised for newer hardware anytime soon.

Look at the backpack issue, it's still 16 slot because they know the coding behind it is so scrambled they don't have the time to change it to say a 30 slot bag.

The main thing you can do is drop some of the settings, 7 on the graphics scale was Ultra quality during Draenor. Anything above that is a complete waste. Turn off/lower things which are known to destroy your FPS; shadows, spell quality, ground clutter, view distance.

Last edited:
Caporegime
why dont people do some benchmarks.cant see much beating high clocked i7700ks until people have the newer intel x299 stuff clocked.

Soldato
why dont people do some benchmarks.cant see much beating high clocked i7700ks until people have the newer intel x299 stuff clocked.

Benchmarks have been posted. Namely the 1600 being neck and neck with 7800x and 9% behind the 7700k. I know you have seen these too, you are just choosing to ignore them.

Soldato
Benchmarks have been posted. Namely the 1600 being neck and neck with 7800x and 9% behind the 7700k. I know you have seen these too, you are just choosing to ignore them.

I find it fascinating that Ryzen is 9-10% behind Kabylake, and that's with Kabylake have a 1Ghz advantage.

Looking forward to seeing Ryzen 2* on IBM 7nm process.

Back
Top Bottom