19" Acer AL1916W Widescreen Silver/Black

Associate
Brian said:
My experience with Acer/Esplex is not good.
Sent my 19inch back for repair, they had it for 4 weeks came back badly packed and with the same fault.
Now it's back again, they have at last found the fault ( Panel duff ) they tell me they are waiting for a new panel to arrive, that was 3 weeks ago with no indication from Esplex as to when I will get my it back. 7 weeks and waiting!!
Acer/Esplex have had the monitor longer than I have.
For me, Acer, never ever again.
Phillips monitors look good, anyone?

Its been about the same amount of time for me now, still counting..

I am just a little anxious to see how it looks when I do finally get it back. :eek:

Associate
runing.man said:
Hi im thinking of getting one of these tft`s and i want it for pc gaming, but was also wondering if it would take my xbox 360 as i would like to play that on it to.

Thanks.
Asides from the already mentioned problem of only one input, 360 looks good on the Acer (I run mine through a KVM switch). The max listed res on the 360 still isn't as large as native (1440x900), but it scales fine and plays well.

Associate
It might be a good monitor but the support from ACER is somewhat lacking. I have got to the point now where I think I'm just aswell to get the thing repaired locally and knowing the fault its not even gonna cost that much.

I have now even got passed the stage of being angry and I cant be bothered with ACER anymore. If it does'nt come back worse than it went, it will comeback in poor packing and with no repair work carried out whatsoever.

I'd just like to say I do think this is a good monitor, just hope you never have to return the thing under warranty as I doubt you'll ever get anywhere. Despite promises.

Associate
David230 said:
It might be a good monitor but the support from ACER is somewhat lacking. I have got to the point now where I think I'm just aswell to get the thing repaired locally and knowing the fault its not even gonna cost that much.

I have now even got passed the stage of being angry and I cant be bothered with ACER anymore. If it does'nt come back worse than it went, it will comeback in poor packing and with no repair work carried out whatsoever.

I'd just like to say I do think this is a good monitor, just hope you never have to return the thing under warranty as I doubt you'll ever get anywhere. Despite promises.

Almost 8 weeks I have been waiting for Acer to repair my monitor.
The one I am using is borrowed, will have to return it this weekend so I will have to buy another one.
One thing is certain, it won't be an Acer.
Absolutely disgusted, when I finally get it back I will put it up for sale.
I think it would be a mistake to keep it in case it fails again, then another two months plus, advisable to have two monitors me thinks.

Associate
I've decided to give mine to my dad. Atleast it should be fine for what he uses it for.

Gonna give it some serious thought before I buy anymore LCD monitors thats for sure.

Its not good enough imo.

p.s. anyone tried a racing game?? Banners or anything track side show a lot of afterglow

Fifa worldcup advert banners are also ridiculously blurred to the point of being uncomfortable to play

I did say this was a good monitor. In some ways it is but for my games its very poor...

Last edited:
Associate
for users of FEAR on this unit try this:

Go to:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Monolith Productions\FEAR

Open the file called "settings" in Notepad. Change:

"ScreenWidth" "1024"
"ScreenHeight" "768"

to whatever you want. Overwrite the file, but make sure you select "All Files" when you save it, or else it will save as a .txt file.

The resolution will remain set to what you specified until you go to "Options -> Display" in the game. Don't go there after you do this or you will have to do it again.

****Note: I have not tested this myself as my unit hasnt came yet, got this of another forum. let us know if it works:) ****

Associate
Just an update.
Just been on to Acer/Esplex about my 19 inch Acer TFT.
Was told by the Esplex man that I would have to wait as long as it takes, they will let me know when the bit's arrive!! before Christmas I hope, they have had it 8 weeks now and rising.
Up for sale when I finally get it back, .
Just my bad luck.
Now back to my old faithful 19 inch iiyama crt.

Soldato
Took delivery of one of these bad boys from OcUK yesterday and I am impressed. Good picture quality and have had no issues plaing BF2 or ZombieHorde at all.

Only thing I can't work out is the whole resolution thing. I got a Leadtek 7800GT graphics card and the highest res I can seem to get in the nvidia control panel is 1280 x 1024.

Is there anyway to change this to 1440x900 or would it be the graphics card that is restricting this ?

Soldato
Loki said:
Took delivery of one of these bad boys from OcUK yesterday and I am impressed. Good picture quality and have had no issues plaing BF2 or ZombieHorde at all.

Only thing I can't work out is the whole resolution thing. I got a Leadtek 7800GT graphics card and the highest res I can seem to get in the nvidia control panel is 1280 x 1024.

Is there anyway to change this to 1440x900 or would it be the graphics card that is restricting this ?

uninstall and re-install your nvidia drivers. that should force it to detect your new monitor and you'll have the proper resolutions available. or you may even be able to get away with just updating the drivers for the monitor. did you get a disk with it?

Soldato
It auto detected the monitor when I pluged it and I had the disk in the drive. But it didnt transfer any files form disk. I will try the driver install when I get home

Soldato
marc2003 said:
uninstall and re-install your nvidia drivers. that should force it to detect your new monitor and you'll have the proper resolutions available. or you may even be able to get away with just updating the drivers for the monitor. did you get a disk with it?

Tried that and the maximum is 1280x1024 again

Permabanned
i was going to get the 19" Viewsonic VX922 for £270.19

then i thought i would buy the 17" Viewsonic VX724 for £176.19 so i can spend the left over dosh on an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro and a Creative Inspire T6060 5.1 Speaker setup, plus a new cooler for my loud gpu

i saw this thread and now i want to go for the Acer AL1916WS!!

Associate
Hi i know there are some pics of this monitor here but is there any chance if the people that have one of these can post some more pics up of desk top and in game action on it please and it would be great if some one has a 360 on it that can post some pics of gaming on this monitor to :)

Many thanks.

Soldato
Picked up one of these little beauties today - first TFT - finally leaving the trusty crt's behind me - Fired up fear and it looks awesome in native resolution at 1440*900

Had horrific tearing, but switching on vsync seems to have done the trick and all is now well.

I have it sitting next to my Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930sb (19" 4:3) and I have to say that to my eye, it's just as bright, has similar colour and is a joy to behold!

For those of you that have these make sure you visit widescreengaming forums - they are a godsend :D

Associate
runing.man said:
Hi i know there are some pics of this monitor here but is there any chance if the people that have one of these can post some more pics up of desk top and in game action on it please and it would be great if some one has a 360 on it that can post some pics of gaming on this monitor to :)

Many thanks.
Here's one I had on-hand; (Some friends did the background picture)

That's at 1360x768 (Max res) and it looks pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom