19" Acer AL1916W Widescreen Silver/Black

Suspended
i came from using 1024x768 and websites were no problem on in that res. (so now they are wonderful!) i could have used 1600x1200 but i didnt like it so small.

of course there will be better ones but for £165 a 19" widescreen isnt going to be the dogs. go to £300+ for a really good screen. for £165 im happy.

One other question -

in films that are widescreen how do you stretch the display out so it fills the screen horizontally instead of having 2 black lines at the top and bottom. (im using media player classic to play dvds and other aspect ratio films like 5:2 and 19:8)

Associate
geeza said:
One other question -

in films that are widescreen how do you stretch the display out so it fills the screen horizontally instead of having 2 black lines at the top and bottom. (im using media player classic to play dvds and other aspect ratio films like 5:2 and 19:8)

View > Video Frame > Stretch To Window (or Touch Video From Outside if you want to keep the correct ratio, but cut a bit of the sides).

I should be getting one of these in the next week to replace my current 17" SyncMaster :) Am lookin to get a 24-30" HDCP-compliant monitor in the long run, but for the moment it should do nicely.

Last edited:
Associate
People are saying that colours are not vibrant and the text isnt sharp...

I think this is due to the settings on the monitor...

I have a Samsung 19" TFT that cost me £200 and tbh.. The Acer is much better.

Sid I suggest you play around with the settings

Associate
fullfat said:
anyone know how these acers compare to dell 2005fp's? someone mabe used both of them or side by side maybe? do you miss the extra inch?
:)

Yes you would miss the extra inch because the resolution of the Dell is a greater than the Acer due to it being an inch bigger

Permabanned
Expensive TFT does not automatically mean a better quality image! Or better reliability etc! Look at the problems people are having with the NEC 20" TFT!

Permabanned
I was looking at these TFT's. They look awesome. As does the Packard Bell Maestro. Not sure how games will be with them though. I am still edging towards a 17" TFT!

sid

sid

Soldato
Townlea said:
People are saying that colours are not vibrant and the text isnt sharp...

I think this is due to the settings on the monitor...

I have a Samsung 19" TFT that cost me £200 and tbh.. The Acer is much better.

Sid I suggest you play around with the settings

I have played with the settings on the monitor, Theres not that much to adjust really,

the blue background of OCUK looks distinctly greyish blue not a vibrant blue

sid

Soldato
monkeybutt said:
I am still edging towards a 17" TFT!

eek.... :D don't do it- remember what i said in the other thread, a graphics card has to render more pixels at 1280x1024 than it does for 1440x900. so performance wise you're better off getting a widescreen. most games support the native res and for any that don't, the monitor will stretch to fit. pes5 at 1152x864 looks superb even though it's stretched on my monitor. :D

Associate
sid said:
I have played with the settings on the monitor, Theres not that much to adjust really,

the blue background of OCUK looks distinctly greyish blue not a vibrant blue

sid
I used the colour adjustment settings in the Catalyst Control centre, just dropped the gamma and brightness a touch. I have a CRT right beside to compare to though. I'm sure the NVidia software has similar settings, easier than adjusting the monitor imo.

sid

sid

Soldato
WolfR1der said:
I used the colour adjustment settings in the Catalyst Control centre, just dropped the gamma and brightness a touch. I have a CRT right beside to compare to though. I'm sure the NVidia software has similar settings, easier than adjusting the monitor imo.

Well i have a x800xt so ill give this a go then,

So far i've managed to get the colours to match by selecting cool colours on the Acer and night text mode on the LG.

Its been a bit of a farce really, Never even thought bout this when i bought my TFT

I have a wallpaper stretched across both screens and it looks well different, noticably as well

sid

Associate
Argh

I just purchased one of these fine displays, the quality seems to be great for the price, however I have a small problem.

When playing a game, mainly CS:S, BF2 or Warcraft 3, after about 20-40 minutes the whole screen goes light grey for about 30 seconds. I can hear the audio still going and i can move around in the game (hear footprints) and then the screen will come back to life for another half hour, ad infinitum.

Any ideas? Seems to be the games, as when it happens i can alt-tab to the desktop, but it didnt happen on the old monitor. Just wondering whether 1440x900 is screwing things up (only common factor?)

cheers

Associate
dunno how to remove logo but I think my problems stem further than that.lol

I had my monitor returned from acer only to find that someone really does'nt know how to pack. The tft stand itself was sandwiched between the inner box and the panel. To do that they have to put the screen in the 2 pieces of foam the wrong way to get the screen facing that way in the first place. Thus, resulting in a scratched panel (think its just the polarised film) and a scratched bezel. Lovely!!

My experiences with acer so far have been pretty poor. Monitor was picked up today so we shall see what sort of turn around I get.

Last edited:

axe

axe

Suspended
just brought one of these shall be recieving it on Friday :) should be a good step up going from a 15' crt old banger dell monitor

Associate
axe said:
just brought one of these shall be recieving it on Friday :) should be a good step up going from a 15' crt old banger dell monitor

Yep, its a totally different experience. I've just downgraded to a 15inch CRT until I get the acer back. :rolleyes:

axe

axe

Suspended
Well its came and its amazing :D ive never had anything better then a 15" CRT :D its great for movies and games

Back
Top Bottom