1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Frying pans in 4 months...Spec me a new Frying pan!

Discussion in 'La Cuisine' started by easyrider, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Scam

Capodecina

We bought a 'Jamie Oliver by Tefal Hard Anodised Frying Pan' as our day-to-day upon many recommendations on here (and the rest of the net). I have to say it's superb. However we're very careful with it, and only use it for 'everyday' stuff such as pasta sauces, green curries etc. We have a selection of Le Creuset pans for searing big hunks of meat as above, and a cast-iron griddle for steak etc.

2. Glaucus

Man of Honour

what where they and how on earth do you destroy them.
    a range is good.
    cast iron for high temp things like steaks, enamel for things that are deglazed, stews, spag bol etc and hard anodized for general frying like the eggs and anything else you want non stick for. Remember metal handles for oven use and lids for a lot of them are useful.

or if not so into cooking and just want something cheap, tefal when theyre on 50% off.

3. Things change I've changed

Capodecina

Scolville are amazing, you can cook an egg on them with no oil! They come with a lifetime warranty, regularly go on sale for half price, just use wooden utensils and they will last you years.

Tefal pans barely last 6 months with me.

4. One More Solo

Capodecina

I wouldn't be without my cast iron pan these days, nothing sticks to it. Million times better than Teflon etc.

5. billysielu

Sgarrista

"hard anodised" is the winner IMO

6. Merlin5

Capodecina

These are good, easyrider. Worth consideration unless you've ordered a pan already.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/cookware/frying-pans-woks/ikea-365-frying-pan-art-10329898/

My Ikea 365+ pans are still in excellent condition after 2 years. I don't do a lot of frying but it's had fair use and I always use a little bit of oil or butter. The wok has had more use and far outlasted any other similar priced ones I've thrown away. I took these pics just now.

https://s18.postimg.cc/3kd1i7f6h/20180416_190225.jpg
    https://s18.postimg.cc/fyztikop5/20180416_190253.jpg

7. jpaul

Mobster

(BAD PURECHASE) these are hard anodized .. but the concentric ridges, are crummy and just allow fat to catch in the dips and are hard to clean

[​IMG]

8. Scam

Capodecina

9. Merlin5

Capodecina

The bottom section joined to the pan is just over 1cm thick, but it's hard to tell if it's a solid piece stuck on or a hollow piece shaped around the base of the main pan. Feels solid enough though. I've done a quick video and tapped both pans. Maybe you can tell by the sounds? :D

10. easyrider

Caporegime

Typical drummer :D

I've bought the De Buyer one...fancy a play with the seasoning aspect plus I can bang it in the oven for stuff...

I'll do a video of before seasoning and after :D my goal is a deep black patina :p

11. Merlin5

Capodecina

LOL :D

Actually the Ikea one description says it's oven suitable as it's all metal, but anyway, congrats on your purchase. :)

12. easyrider

Caporegime

I'm a sucker for prime :p

13. easyrider

Caporegime

Organic Flax seed oil ordered ready for seasoning. :)

14. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

Now your challenge is to break the pan inside 2 months. :D

15. easyrider

Caporegime

Lol :D it will probably take me 2 months to get it a deep black colour never mind cooking with it :p

16. Pho

Sgarrista

Turning the pan upside down (so you get an even coating) and leaving it in the oven for a couple of hours will do it :p

What will take you a couple of months is getting used to the weight. At least they're lighter than cast iron!

17. PiKe

Capodecina

Last pan I bought was from poundstretcher and its lasted better than my Russel Hobbs one!

18. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

19. robj20

Soldato

That just looks like you dont clean it very well.

20. garnett

Wise Guy

I concur. We have a set of these and they've gone the same way. As @a1ex2001 says, it's from over heating. (At least that's what Circulon told me before they grudgingly replaced the largest of our pans under their warranty. To be fair, the replacement seems to be faring better).

I might be mistaken, but I think the copperstone pans mentioned by @HazardO are stocked by Tesco and are on offer in our local shop. If they're the same, I thought they looked decent.