2 Frying pans in 4 months...Spec me a new Frying pan!

Soldato
I used a few mm of sunflower oil, and chucked a load of rock salt and some potato peelings in. Fried that til smoking and left to cool. Seems to have done the job, although I got a bit of residue on the sides.

Soldato
the resilience of the seasoning depends on what you cook, how you clean it (and heat source?)
I can strip seasoning a bit with acidic tomatoes,
I only use it for savoury, if I wanted to swap to sweet (french caramelised tart) would need to clean better with detergent, as opposed to wiping, which would strip.
griddle is committed to steaks too.

had found a good article on multi-layer pan heat distribution

42113766435_2d8d5e97a1_o_d.jpg

Caporegime
I rubbed some oil on mine, top and bottom and put it in a hot BBQ upside down and let it cool on its own.

It kind of worked, it’s not a smooth colouring though, very patchy. I am thinking of scrubbing it all off and start again. Although to be fair, if I put just a little oil on it I can fry an egg just fine without sticking.

Soldato
I rubbed some oil on mine, top and bottom and put it in a hot BBQ upside down and let it cool on its own.

It kind of worked, it’s not a smooth colouring though, very patchy. I am thinking of scrubbing it all off and start again. Although to be fair, if I put just a little oil on it I can fry an egg just fine without sticking.
A large portion of the pan is non stick but one bit that catches all the time. Think this will be my last attempt at iron pans. Back to non stick.

Soldato
So it's gone in the bin, completely destroyed two peices of sea bass. Plenty of oil in the pan and it instantly stuck so all the skin came off. Attempted to turn it over and that stuck as well. Absolutely not as good as a good nonstick pan just need to find a decent thickness one.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
So it's gone in the bin, completely destroyed two peices of sea bass. Plenty of oil in the pan and it instantly stuck so all the skin came off. Attempted to turn it over and that stuck as well. Absolutely not as good as a good nonstick pan just need to find a decent thickness one.

You must be doing something wrong in seasoning it. Can you take a photo of what the pan looks like? It should be dark black.

You also don't really need to clean them, just wipe them with a paper towel. You really shouldn't be using washing-up liquid or anything.

Soldato
You must be doing something wrong in seasoning it. Can you take a photo of what the pan looks like? It should be dark black.

You also don't really need to clean them, just wipe them with a paper towel. You really shouldn't be using washing-up liquid or anything.

I haven't been cleaning it, just put some water in the pan straight at cooking and a quick wipe with a sponge then dry it.
Its a dark colour in the center but the edges and sides won't take the seasoning. Bit even where it's dark it still sticks in places.
Not sure what I could have done wrong, rub it with oil so it's very thin then heat to just smoking let it cool and repeat.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I haven't been cleaning it, just put some water in the pan straight at cooking and a quick wipe with a sponge then dry it.
Its a dark colour in the center but the edges and sides won't take the seasoning. Bit even where it's dark it still sticks in places.
Not sure what I could have done wrong, rub it with oil so it's very thin then heat to just smoking let it cool and repeat.

Heat it with oil in the pan until it's smoking, then get a paper towel and rub some more over all of the pan including the edges etc.

Then stick it in the oven upside down at gas mark 5 (190c) for about two hours. That's the crucial bit to get the seasoning to take - I guess when you heat it on the hob the sides aren't going to get too hot relative to the bottom.

Soldato
Heat it with oil in the pan until it's smoking, then get a paper towel and rub some more over all of the pan including the edges etc.

Then stick it in the oven upside down at gas mark 5 (190c) for about two hours. That's the crucial bit to get the seasoning to take - I guess when you heat it on the hob the sides aren't going to get too hot relative to the bottom.
Won't fit in the oven.

Soldato
Ah. Buy a bigger oven? :D

Can you fit it in by taking out the shelves and wedging it in one way or another?
Nope. Not even close to fitting. The instructions that came with the pan say nothing about putting it in the oven so seems odd to then be a requirement. Anyway it's gone, going to see what ceramic pans are like.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Nope. Not even close to fitting. The instructions that came with the pan say nothing about putting it in the oven so seems odd to then be a requirement. Anyway it's gone, going to see what ceramic pans are like.

You don't need to. The more you use it the more of the patina it should just naturally pick-up.

Did you put water on it to clean when it was red hot? Maybe you needed to leave it to cool, I don't know but maybe that was effectively scrubbing off the layer you actually needed to bake in.

Soldato
Got a 28cm De Buyer Carbone Plus a few weeks back, to go with the crepe pan. It's taking a little while to get used to, but not missing the non-stick.

Crepe pan is like glass already, omelettes and pancakes just slide off. Big pan is taking a while, partly because I deglazed it with some chicken marinade that was more acidic than I was counting on.

Associate
I know how you feel with the De Buyer pans, they can be infuriating. I so neallly binned mine too, I got a lovely special edition 20cm for general use. Took it back to the bare iron 3 times as I thought it just wasn't taking. But I perservered and it's glorious now.

I've since bought a crepe pan, which has been perfect (crepes, omelettes & eggs) and a large 28cm, which is new but already great.

Sadly experience with these really helps, but definitely worth keeping with.

Caporegime
I know how you feel with the De Buyer pans, they can be infuriating. I so neallly binned mine too, I got a lovely special edition 20cm for general use. Took it back to the bare iron 3 times as I thought it just wasn't taking. But I perservered and it's glorious now.

I've since bought a crepe pan, which has been perfect (crepes, omelettes & eggs) and a large 28cm, which is new but already great.

Sadly experience with these really helps, but definitely worth keeping with.

I stuck with it, punnnnnnnnn and today I tried some sausages then some eggs, one after another, came off away clean, finally.

Back
Top Bottom