2 Frying pans in 4 months...Spec me a new Frying pan!

Soldato
Yes, cast iron (forgot to tell that earlier). Got myself a couple of cheap cast iron frying pans from VonShef through Amazon with a giftcard I got from my boss :p

Just grab some oil and kitchen roll. drop a splash of oil in the pan and wipe it all around the pan in and outside the whole thing handle included. Don't make the layer too thick. Then just put it on your hob on full make (the biggest ring you have) and heat it until it starts smoking. Let it smoke for a minute and then switch off the heat and let it cool.

Just a note when cooking in a cast iron whatever you are cooking is meant to stick to the pan. If you try and move it too soon it will be pretty firmly stuck just wait and when the sear layer is done it should be able to move freely or very little force to pry it off the bed.

Caporegime
Our circulon2 pans have lasted over 10 years so far.

i recommend these. not cheap but amazing.

i bought a cast iron wok and it's just a PITA to season properly and keep it seasoned. the stuff cracks or becomes sticky. you cant clean it properly water and light work with no scrubbing, etc. it needs to much babying. have to oil it every time you put it away, etc.

it's like looking after a child.

buy circulon - lifetime guarantee - job done

Associate
Just grab some oil and kitchen roll. drop a splash of oil in the pan and wipe it all around the pan in and outside the whole thing handle included. Don't make the layer too thick. Then just put it on your hob on full make (the biggest ring you have) and heat it until it starts smoking. Let it smoke for a minute and then switch off the heat and let it cool.

Just a note when cooking in a cast iron whatever you are cooking is meant to stick to the pan. If you try and move it too soon it will be pretty firmly stuck just wait and when the sear layer is done it should be able to move freely or very little force to pry it off the bed.

I assume any kind of oil will work? Think we got sunflower oil and olive oil in the kitchen. Got three different sized pans that I'm going to season either on Friday after my night shifts or some day next week when I'm free.

Edit: And if I'm right I should avoid using metal utensils on the pans as well?

Caporegime
I assume any kind of oil will work? Think we got sunflower oil and olive oil in the kitchen. Got three different sized pans that I'm going to season either on Friday after my night shifts or some day next week when I'm free.

Edit: And if I'm right I should avoid using metal utensils on the pans as well?

Not all kinds of oil, you need a oil with a high smoking point. Rapeseed oil is typically used.

There are lots of way to do it.

1 - in the oven for about 2 hours on high, then turn it off and let it cool INSIDE the oven without opening the door. DO NOT OPEN the door until it is fully cooled

2 - I've seen the trick with cooking some potatoe skins.

3 - Use it and cook with it, it will stick for the first half a dozen times but eventually it'll create a non-stick layer.

I use metal utensils on it, that's the beauty of it, I can use any kind of utensils on it, scratch it? doesn't matter, i'll just season it again. In fact, it's my favourite pan to cook Smash burgers on.

It takes more care as after each use I would wash, then lightly season again before putting it away by rubbing some oil on it and heat it. Just a very thin layer. But this will basically ensure the pan will last forever.

Associate
Not all kinds of oil, you need a oil with a high smoking point. Rapeseed oil is typically used.

There are lots of way to do it.

1 - in the oven for about 2 hours on high, then turn it off and let it cool INSIDE the oven without opening the door. DO NOT OPEN the door until it is fully cooled

2 - I've seen the trick with cooking some potatoe skins.

3 - Use it and cook with it, it will stick for the first half a dozen times but eventually it'll create a non-stick layer.

I use metal utensils on it, that's the beauty of it, I can use any kind of utensils on it, scratch it? doesn't matter, i'll just season it again. In fact, it's my favourite pan to cook Smash burgers on.

It takes more care as after each use I would wash, then lightly season again before putting it away by rubbing some oil on it and heat it. Just a very thin layer. But this will basically ensure the pan will last forever.

Going to have a look if I got some rapeseed oil when I get out of bed again tonight. The oven way could be quite handy as I could lay on the sofa and read while the pans are being seasoned :D

I did get this pans https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M7OVTPK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
thought it would be worth a try at least for that price.

Caporegime
Soldato
Cast iron pans are nowhere near as much work as is being talked about here IME. Regularly using it for frying and being sensible with washing it (don't leave it in a sink full of water or chuck it in the dishwasher) will ensure it remains non-stick without having to season it after every use. I've probably seasoned it properly 3 or 4 times in the 3 years I've had it.

Associate
Cast iron pans are nowhere near as much work as is being talked about here IME. Regularly using it for frying and being sensible with washing it (don't leave it in a sink full of water or chuck it in the dishwasher) will ensure it remains non-stick without having to season it after every use. I've probably seasoned it properly 3 or 4 times in the 3 years I've had it.

How does it hold up for acidic pan sauces? Would it be okay for alcohol + tomato for example?

Back
Top Bottom