£20 for windows 8 upgrade

Associate
Interesting - so any version of Windows 8 is limited to the one computer that is licensed, presumably meaning that changing the motherboard and CPU needs a need copy of Windows as it is a 'new machine'.

This makes me wonder if it is the software for me... What if I want to upgrade in a couple of years time? What if my motherboard dies and I have to replace it? I have had to do both in the last 2 years bt Windows 7 Retail juts takes it in its stride and installs fine. Windows 8 would not.

Anyone else bothered by this? At £50 a time (or possibly more in a year of so's time, it will just get more expensive to update machines.

Associate
They're not doing retail versions any more apparently so an upgrade is all you're getting.

They are not selling Retail aka full installations anymore?
Is this to combat piracy, or they just don't want to sell DVD's anymore?

I've seen a few DVD copies of Windows 8 selling on websites around $99.

I know a few people who have none-legal windows 7 due to them saying £100+ is to much for a windows, while i got mine on a special offer of $44 from an american site.

but if there not selling the retail version anymore, not sure how people who don't have the full installation/legal CD key/people who didn't buy Windows 8 retail while it was on sale, would be able to get Windows 8 If there only option is to upgrade.

or did i miss-read your comment and go overboard?

Associate
Upgrade from your Windows 7 retail disc. Just don't lose your copy.

As long as we don't upgrade computers and thus require a new key for Windows 8 as it is no longer the same, licensed computer. I don't think so.

I'll stick with Windows 7 and wait for the next version which will, hopefully, bring back retails versions/.

Soldato
As long as we don't upgrade computers and thus require a new key for Windows 8 as it is no longer the same, licensed computer. I don't think so.

I'll stick with Windows 7 and wait for the next version which will, hopefully, bring back retails versions/.

Well the Verge are reporting MS are selling boxed copies of Win 8 Pro for $199 so I don't know what's going on now tbh.

And I'm pretty sure you missed my point. It wouldn't cost you anything extra if you upgrade your motherboard as the Windows 8 retail upgrade license is tranferrable.

Soldato
They are not selling Retail aka full installations anymore?
Is this to combat piracy, or they just don't want to sell DVD's anymore?

I've seen a few DVD copies of Windows 8 selling on websites around $99.

I know a few people who have none-legal windows 7 due to them saying £100+ is to much for a windows, while i got mine on a special offer of $44 from an american site.

but if there not selling the retail version anymore, not sure how people who don't have the full installation/legal CD key/people who didn't buy Windows 8 retail while it was on sale, would be able to get Windows 8 If there only option is to upgrade.

or did i miss-read your comment and go overboard?

As far as we know (MS could make us all look stupid between now and October) you have two options - Upgrade or OEM.

I'm sure piracy is an issue, and they are cracking down on a couple of the loopholes. Only time is going to tell how much more restrictive they are going to be because quite honestly nobody is able to test all the different variations of install and upgrade at the moment.

Upgrade paths for people who have pirate copies... they are on their own. If they don't think it's worth the price then don't use it.

If for some reason you don't have a qualifying OS to upgrade from e.g. brand new self build, they have changed the OEM license so you qualify to use that.

Associate
I know it applies to the OEM package but reading the article the posts give brings up this, describing the upgrade package

RETAIL UPGRADE

We do not sell our software or your copy of it – we only license it. Under our license, we grant you the right to install and run that one copy on one computer (the licensed computer), for use by one person at a time, but only if you comply with all the terms of this agreement. Typically, this means you can install one copy of the software on a personal computer and then you can use the software on that computer.

Again, it mean one computer which tends to mean one motherboard. So far as I can see, the terms mean the same thing.

Associate
I had a upgrade 8 offer send buy microsoft via email for buy a pc with windows 7 and get windows 8 pro for £14.99. Shame its not for everyone with windows 7 as i've had my asus G73 since 2010 and it won't like me choose date of purchase lower than 2012. Bummer.

Permabanned
I had a upgrade 8 offer send buy microsoft via email for buy a pc with windows 7 and get windows 8 pro for £14.99. Shame its not for everyone with windows 7 as i've had my asus G73 since 2010 and it won't like me choose date of purchase lower than 2012. Bummer.

So you lie like I did, I added a random machine from dell and used 2012 as purchase date, I then used my win 7 product key and it all went through fine :)

Associate
I would have thought that ms would keep activation logs etc, but past experience has had me activating fine, next week using the phone then back to normal the next.

Suppose anyone paying for w8 is better than the situation they had with xp.

Associate
Surely they would know when its first activated or we could all quote Windows 7 Legit keys on our old kit and add any manfuacturers random model form the last couple of months

Soldato
How did you get the email? anywhere i can sign up for it?

also i have a few old xp 32bit legit keys laying around that i dont use any more, could these be used to upgrade to windows 8 64bit? or does it have to be 64bit to 64bit etc?

http://windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-GB

I'm wondering whether I should just select a random machine as above and use my retail key. Wonder if we'll actually get a working upgrade/key? Just seems a bit dodgy :p

Soldato
So what happens when I get a new machine?

Currently I can remove W7 from this PC and install it elsewhere as I have a retail copy.

What happens if I upgrade to Windows 8 on this machine, then buy a new machine. Would I need to install Windows 7 first, then 8 on top? Would the 8 upgrade activate on a new machine?

Grrr.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom