£20 for windows 8 upgrade

Associate
nightmare99
Putting aside the upgrade possibilities does anyone know how much it will be for a full retail version of Windows 8, not the pro version...?
There is not going to be a full retail version, the closest thing will be a full oem version.

That's true, I seen one web site where they are taking advanced orders for the upgrade of Windows 8 only. Not much fun, better off with a full retail copy.

Associate
I've got an old copy of windows vista, if I want to install windows 8 would I have to install vista first? Really don't want to do that if possible

Caporegime
The new system is better, but it could potentially really hurt people who change their motherboards regularly.

So what happens now then? A charge every time? Don't they won't windows 8 to take off like windows 7 did? Did the learn nothing from the success of windows 7. Windows xp etc I barely knew anyone with legit copies, the reverse was true with windows 7.

This will just have everyone with pirate copies again.

Soldato
So what happens now then? A charge every time? Don't they won't windows 8 to take off like windows 7 did? Did the learn nothing from the success of windows 7. Windows xp etc I barely knew anyone with legit copies, the reverse was true with windows 7.

This will just have everyone with pirate copies again.

Well, we'll find out how fickle they are with getting your OEM copy activated on new hardware. If they cut you some slack then the problem pretty much goes away.

Soldato
That's true, I seen one web site where they are taking advanced orders for the upgrade of Windows 8 only. Not much fun, better off with a full retail copy.

From What I understand, which could be wrong, you have to have the qualifying previous version of Windows actually installed and not just a copy of the install disc if you buy the upgrade version of Windows 8. So this could mean that if you was in a position of needing to reformat then your previous edition would need to be installed first and then the upgrade to Win 8.

Is that right..?

Associate
From What I understand, which could be wrong, you have to have the qualifying previous version of Windows actually installed and not just a copy of the install disc if you buy the upgrade version of Windows 8. So this could mean that if you was in a position of needing to reformat then your previous edition would need to be installed first and then the upgrade to Win 8.

Is that right..?

I sure hope not! I am running the Release Preview and hope to be able to upgrade directly to the full version.

Soldato
I sure hope not! I am running the Release Preview and hope to be able to upgrade directly to the full version.

Sorry but I meant if you haver bought a new HD (for example) and then have got a copy of Windows which qualifies for the upgrade version of Windows 8 you would need to install the previous version of Windows first prior to Windows 8, it is no longer possible to just have the previous Windows disc to pop it in for verification.

The above is what I have picked up but it does not mean I'm right, I'm just asking for clarification.

Associate
I sure you will have to install a copy of other windows, then install win8 upgrade. With win 7 upgrade, you installed it twice, then poped in your number the second time around, but I think Microsoft have done away with that for win 8.

Man of Honour
I sure you will have to install a copy of other windows, then install win8 upgrade. With win 7 upgrade, you installed it twice, then poped in your number the second time around, but I think Microsoft have done away with that for win 8.

Even if you do, you'll only have to do it once. Due to the restore/refresh features. So it won't be a huge pain.

Soldato
But if you had bought a new HD or your system got to a point where it wasn't recoverable then you would have to ensure you had that copy of your previous OS to hand, or the ability to restore it first prior to using the W8 upgrade.
In those circumstances it just takes longer to validate your previous copy.
Just hope that you are not in the position of not being able to restore your previous Windows version if you should need to.

Soldato
Windows 8 will last another 3 years let's say. Without a retail copy if you change motherboards aren't you screwed and will have to fork out again.

That first copy will be worth almost nothing as well since it's tied to a potentially obsolete motherboard.

Soldato
I get the impression that the copy of Windows which, if I bother to get it, might suit my needs better would be...

Personal Use License for System Builder
the article includes...

Microsoft radically overhauls license agreements for Windows 8

Which seems to mean...

PERSONAL USE LICENSE (SYSTEM BUILDER) FOR WINDOWS 8 PRO
We do not sell our software or your copy of it – we only license it.Under our license, we grant you the right to install and run that one copy on one computer (the licensed computer) as the operating system on a computer that you build for your personal use, or as an additional operating system running on a local virtual machine or a separate partition, subject to the restrictions outlined under “Are there things I’m not allowed to do with the software?”

That last license type represents the first time Microsoft has formally acknowledged the right of its end-user customers to install Windows 8 on a new PC they build themselves, or to install it in a virtual machine or on a separate partition.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-radically-overhauls-license-agreements-for-windows-8-7000002866/

if you wish to remain legit, in terms of the EULA etc, then the above version might be the way forward...?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom