£20 for windows 8 upgrade

Soldato
A shame they haven't brought out the £49/£99 retail copies they did with Windows 7. Would definitely by Pro at those prices.

Upgrades are a hassle if you have a system which keeps needing regular reinstalls.

BuZ

BuZ

Associate
I haven't tested it yet; I've seen videos on people touring the OS and there's not much change in the layout compared to W7. They've mainly added a tablet like display. Although I am wondering if I should try the full version. I think I may do depending on the price of the W8 full disc.

Associate
The standalone versions of Windows 8(retail) will be about £200 in the UK.

Do you have a source?

My understanding that there wouldn't be a full retail edition. It will be Upgrade or System Builder (OEM) only, and I've not seen MS announce any prices for the UK, or any prices at all on System Builder.

Man of Honour
The standalone versions of Windows 8(retail) will be about £200 in the UK.

Leaked ms letters to partners, say there is no retail. So I very much doubt that. But then the box designs are called retail, but no price has been announced, so I suppose well have to see.

So you guys will pay £20 for what is just simply windows 7 again with a new theme?

:rolleyes: Clueless,

Go read this thread
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18381377

Upgrades are a hassle if you have a system which keeps needing regular reinstalls.
No at all in Win8, ou use the new refresh/reset features. There shouldn't be a need to reinstall on an existing pc. Only new/massively upgraded systems.

Last edited:
Soldato
The reinstall is a non issue really, just create a drive image after installing and configuring, such as adding patches, office, wmc etc. In order to upgrade does it require you to have previous os already installed or just the old os in the ODD? It seems more recent articles are stating the requirement for upgrade no longer includes w8rp? If you have to have the old os installed, does the upgrade give the option to format drive prior to commencing?

Caporegime
Upgrade or buy oem, are the two choices. Oem rules have been changed somewhat.

How have they been changed? A bit disappointing really. I would have kept win7 and bought win8 to play with on my laptop if they done the deals like win7.

It's strange they didn't offer the deal like windows 7 because they really need people to embrace win8 for their other platforms to take off. No retail copy that I can lob on and upgrade at my pleasure means I will just stick with what I have.

Associate
How have they been changed? A bit disappointing really. I would have kept win7 and bought win8 to play with on my laptop if they done the deals like win7.

It's strange they didn't offer the deal like windows 7 because they really need people to embrace win8 for their other platforms to take off. No retail copy that I can lob on and upgrade at my pleasure means I will just stick with what I have.

The cynic in me says that MS are offering System Builder (new OEM), or upgrades. Whilst I've not seen this documented, I suspect it will mean that for every new install, a new license is required. I.e. there'll be no more transferrable licenses which is what the full retail allowed.*

* Yes I know that OEM licenses weren't strictly enforced on a single machine, but who's to say they won't crack down on it now.

Associate
iv tried windows 8, and i cant help it, as far as a desktop pc operating system its useless, but for tablet/touch systems, would be beneficial, but i just hate it, windows 7 is going to be the new xp, it will be used for decades to come, windows 8 is more of a flop than a floppy thing, they would have to pay me to use it again, the metro is just a piece of crap, it is supposed to substitute your start menu/desktop in one, it just awful, its like microsoft are doing a tick tock kind of thing now like processor manufacturers, i read up about the supposedly faster boot times from an ssd, which isnt true, my win 7 install boots up quicker on my crucial m4 than win 8 did on the same drive, and the win 8 was after a fresh install, my win 7 has been on my system for a while now, to those who like it, good luck to you all, but i think i will be sticking to win 7 and saving my money

Soldato
Windows 7 -> Windows 8 is definitely worse than Windows XP -> Windows Vista.

Moving to Windows Vista was great despite the extra memory usage, moving to Windows 8 takes a lot of thinking to actually justify it, given that you've potentially got the hassle of installing all your applications again.

Associate
willhub
Moving to Windows Vista was great despite the extra memory usage, moving to Windows 8 takes a lot of thinking to actually justify it, given that you've potentially got the hassle of installing all your applications again.

I'm using Vista 32bit on this system, and find nothing wrong with it. Had a look at the win 8, and it looks bloated.

Back
Top Bottom