2001 Honda Insight Mk1 - The OG hybrid now joined by a CRZ

Caporegime
Did you drive ANYTHING else?

I'd like a sour lemon if it was the only thing I was being offered to eat for weeks. Doesn't make it a good food choice though.

Im sure he drives a lot of stuff when doing competitor evaluations etc at work.

Interestly have you driven one or are you going by an assumption? This is a geniune question, I have no intention to get into an arguement or upset you (Im good at that it seems). It just seems you have quite a factual posting style on something you possibly have no experience of.

Personally I though he was mad when he mentioned it, but looking at what he does and his current situation it kind of makes sense. Also as an Automotive Engineer myself I find it a pretty fasinating car, it makes the Prius look stupid for example

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nearly £3k for some batteries! How long do they tend to last for?

I gave the wrong impression there. You can do it for about £300. These are original batteries and the trick is to keep it as full as possible as you dont get lean burn with the extra regen load in cruise. So in terms of cycles (only 4Ah of 6.5Ah its not really an issue) this car wont drive in pure EV as its essentially an electric flywheel assisting the engine.

The batteries just mean its like a 1.5L when you need it, they dont really help the excellent cruise performance.

I could have got an NSX and had smoke blown up my ass but at the end of the day i'd be the one who has to pay for other peoples wood.

Soldato
hondain46436.jpg

Caporegime
Im sure he drives a lot of stuff when doing competitor evaluations etc at work.

Interestly have you driven one or are you going by an assumption? This is a geniune question, I have no intention to get into an arguement or upset you (Im good at that it seems). It just seems you have quite a factual posting style on something you possibly have no experience of.

No I haven't driven one, but given that most of my comments (bar the driving dynamics) were based on personal objection to styling, function (based on spec and stats), and comparison to vehicles of similar cost, I don't feel I need to have driven one to make judgement on those areas.

As for the driving dynamics, the added weight, lower power output, and design around maximum fuel efficiency kind of prove my point regardless.

I would be willing to be proved wrong, but nothing will make it appear anything other than butt-ugly.

Soldato
OP
http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/lht-performance/425659-k20a-insight-lht.html

Epic lols, I love it. How are they getting those mpg figures though, just from the loss of weight? The EP3 is 1200kg on the factory specs. The insight can't be much less with a K20 in surely? Seeing as I get 20-25mpg daily (12 miles NSL, 4 miles town) those are some bold figures. Doesn't mention retaining the IMA aspect.

Its 838kg with a 0.25 Cd.

On the K20 the lack of drag allows 19:1 AFR to run fine on a non lean designed engine.

IMA is a 20mm sandwich between box and engine, no extra mass really as the magnets serve the purpose of a flywheel. The batteries are just 22kg.

Last edited:
Soldato
I hope you'll be overclocking it

all jokes aside, I think due to your job etc you are the only person I've heard of with a reasonable explanation for buying something like this

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom