2001 Honda Insight Mk1 - The OG hybrid now joined by a CRZ

Soldato
Seriously?

Not sure why people think this appears to be such an abhorrent car, it's quirky, he likes it for it's engineering, it gets very good economy. Some must really detest driving to never give this car a chance.

This is what i'm thinking really.

Its something different and he obviously likes it, and i suspect when he does get bored of it down the line he won't make a great loss. I'd be curious to drive the thing just to say i've driven one myself.

He's given plenty of reasons connected with work why he especially wants one too.

Good on you but i do think you were asking for trouble posting it up in here :D

Caporegime
his stubbornness is outstanding

He's not even willing to entertain that the car doesnt make the financial sense that pure figures would suggest.

Hes beyond reasonning, and considering his previous car is actually a JDM integra, probably a wind up. Im not biting.

Caporegime

He's not even willing to entertain that the car doesnt make the financial sense that pure figures would suggest.

Hes beyond reasonning, and considering his previous car is actually a JDM integra, probably a wind up. Im not biting.

What is there to be stubborn about?

I dont think impressing a bunch of car people on a forum is really one of his hobbies, if it was he would be called Gibbo :p

Some people seem geniunely interested, others can't see past the looks. I guess some people rely on a nice looking car to improve their image. Go read abit more about the technology in the car, yeah it doesnt look great but it has more technology than most other road cars.

Get used to it anyway, car's are going to become more and more like it as time goes by, Hybrids are the future of modern cars and function will end up ruling over form, especially with draconian EU emissions/fuel economy legislation.

Soldato
OP

At which point did I seriously suggest it did? Of course a lot of these calculations seem to hint at any car used in the maths being worth £0 at the point where I sell it.

I should step out of OCUK motors right now if I was not stubborn! This thread is open season for Fox.

Im flattered people are recognising that I had a DC2 now after 4 years, although saying that I did have one for 4 years....

Associate
[TW]Fox;13602259 said:
How much is a 51 plate Civic 1.4 in comparison?

Wouldn't recommend a civic 1.4, they are thirsty unless you drive like a district nurse and share a horrible problem along with the 1.4 jazz's in that they can break their gearboxes. Mine had only done 54K and the input shaft bearings were on their way out. Some had gone awol with less than 30K. Honda didnt seem to be interested with this problem.
Swapped mine for a 1.7 ctdi civic.

Love the look of the insights, styled like the old CRX's.
Good on you for going for one i say.

Soldato
OP
I discounted the CVT. Tend to be imports with less history, and the CVT although good will hurt MPG. The yank CVT's dont have lean burn (which is why they meet SULEV due to the NOx on the manual even though the car stores it until purge) however the jap imports you get are lean burn.

Just come home in it and really enjoying the totally different driving, its pretty quick midrange in 2nd gear right to the limiter at 70mph, I think its prob as fast as my 1.8 Focus there. 5th is actually geared to 195mph :eek:

Don
AND Finally:

tax.jpg

:(

IMG00002-20090302-1739.JPG

Soldato
Weird looking thing, and definatlely somethng out of judge dredd, blade runner etc :D

But you are an engineer (not a technician ;)) and I understand your fascination with it, being one myself :D:D:D:D

If you drop onto some nice Rotas and remove some soundproofing around the motors, I'm sure you could get it to sound ilke a supercharged golf cart :p :D

Associate
I quite like it - it's quirky and interesting. Worth having one for a while just to have a play and enjoy the totally different driving style. Certainly will give you more to talk about than the standard 1.6-2.0 eurobox!

Surely the fact that you are willing to try such a different style of car would indicate you're more interested in cars than many of the members on this forum...

What's the lifespan on the batteries?

Back
Top Bottom