2005/2006 F1 News and Testing.

Man of Honour
OP
Who looks hot in '06?

With six weeks until the green light in Bahrain, the buzz in formula one at present is 'who will emerge on top?'.

Under the V10 regime of 2005, McLaren-Mercedes had the quickest car, even if Renault won both titles. Ferrari, in contrast, struggled on beleaguered Bridgestone boots, while Honda-powered Jenson Button notched up his 100th GP without a win.

Even if a definitive picture is not yet clear, 2.4 litre V8-spec 2006 looks like a different ball game entirely.

"I would be surprised if Jenson did not win a race. He needs one and I think he would deserve it," said Sir Frank Williams, who engineered a $30m deal to let Honda keep their man.

The Grove based chief singles out Honda and its 26-year-old driver as a potential 2006 force.

Asked about testing, Williams said: "The number of laps Honda does each day is frightening. It looks like the Honda we used to know."

Williams' experienced driver Mark Webber, however, isn't believing everything he reads on the formula one wire. Renault's Fernando Alonso, and Juan Pablo Montoya - the similarly Michelin-shod McLaren ace - are saying that they think the French tyre supplier's dominance is over.

But Australian Webber, having switched to Bridgestone, isn't so sure.

He said: "I think they are putting pressure on Michelin -- we still see it the other way round.

"I think it's a bit of propaganda."

Man of Honour
Williams going for seamless shifting eh, that'll be good, not quite as good as the CVT they chucked in the back of an FW15 in the 93-94 closed season - now that was scary. Not just because the car accelerated smoothly without a change in the engine note but more so because it was driven by an extremely skinny, fresh faced DC with possibly the dodgiest curly hairdo the world has ever seen.

Man of Honour
OP
Wurz aims to race in 2006

Alexander Wurz is hoping he can race this year already. The Austrian switched from McLaren to Williams, but just like at McLaren he is still a test driver at Williams. Though Wurz still aims to race rather sooner than later.

"I want to race already this year. Definitely," Said Wurz. "If I don't race, I'm not going to slit my wrists obviously. I will still be a happy guy. But my main is to race."

It looked like Wurz would join Heidfeld to race at BMW. But at the very last minute the deal was off. "I've been ultra-close, but is has not happened, so... fate. And not only once, but a few times. This year, I am not commenting on it. Certainly not on offers that came before I had signed for Williams for the coming season."

Man of Honour
OP
rpstewart said:
Williams going for seamless shifting eh, that'll be good, not quite as good as the CVT they chucked in the back of an FW15 in the 93-94 closed season - now that was scary. Not just because the car accelerated smoothly without a change in the engine note but more so because it was driven by an extremely skinny, fresh faced DC with possibly the dodgiest curly hairdo the world has ever seen.

Biggest problem with that box was the fact that the engine didn't change note - it was boring. :(

Interesting road technology though. Run an engine in it's most efficient position for the speed or most torque, or somewhere inbetween. Had definate possibilities for the road.

But yes - Coulthard did look extremely silly back then. :D Hair like a sheep. *Well..goat may be more accurate - he's a Scot...;) * I'm sure I've got a picture of him like that somewhere... *goes a searchin...*

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
NiceHair.jpg

Soldato
Rossi has his fair share of bad hair days!!!

talking about Rossi again... Have you seen his antics when he wins in motogp? Imagine if he came to F1 and won :eek:

Oh and Simon.... I see David signed that personal photo for you!!! :p An extra special member of his fan club! :p

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

There is so much beefing up going on at the moment its unreal! Any news on Spa yet?

Man of Honour
OP
Wurx move was 'emotional'

Alex Wurz says his decision to join the Williams team after five years as a McLaren test driver was emotionally as well as rationally driven.

With McLaren not being entitled to field a third driver this year – and Gary Paffett installed alongside Pedro de la Rosa on the testing bench – a move made sense for Wurz because it ensured he would be able to showcase his abilities on Fridays of grand prix weekends.

But, speaking at the Williams launch last Friday, Wurz said he also had a ‘gut feeling’ that he would gel with the Grove squad.

“I can tell you honestly that halfway through the meeting with Frank Williams and Patrick Head I said to myself that I felt right in my stomach – although I didn’t say anything not to hurt my negotiation power!

“I think it is the right choice.

“You may think I am a rational thinker but for me this was very emotional.

“There is a rational background because I think with Williams and all the changes they have, the third car on the Fridays I think I can make an impression here.

“So that’s how it came to be.”

Comparing the atmosphere and modus operandi of the two teams, Wurz said: “I have been with McLaren for five years and I just want to get off my chest that it was a very nice and interesting five years. Sometimes hard, sometimes super-nice.

“If you compare the organisations, you can say the starting point is the same.

“They are very ambitious people and their destination and their goal is the same – trying to beat the others. So that exactly is same.

“In between that you have the emotional philosophy and the personnel side, and that is completely different.

“If you talk to Frank Williams or Patrick Head or [Williams technical director] Sam Michael, or you talk to [McLaren CEO] Martin Whitmarsh or Ron Dennis, they are very different the way they speak.

“Not that I’m judging, you see, but it is different.”

Man of Honour
OP
Montoya: I won't wait for Ron to make up his mind.

Juan Pablo Montoya has told McLaren-Mercedes boss, Ron Dennis that he won't wait around for an offer to stay with the Woking based team - and that he is now actively searching for a position elsewhere.

Montoya's current deal with McLaren expires at the end of this season, however following the news that Fernando Alonso will join the team in 2007, either JPM or his team-mate, Kimi Raikkonen will be surplus to requirements.

Montoya, who only joined the team from Williams at the start of last year, is incensed that McLaren failed to take up their option on him to extend his deal for a further two years. That option expired on December 31. He is now determined he won't be left as the odd one out.

Man of Honour
JRS said:
Oh good. So there's hostility in the Mclaren camp before the season even gets going. That'll help their title challenges....

It's been a while since there was real friction in that team - 1988/89, the Senna & Prost years spring to mind as the last occassion and thinking about it they did OK. 1988 saw 15 wins from 16 starts with the only blip the Italian GP when Senna tripped over a bumbling Jean Louis Schlesser. 1989 wasn't quite as dominant but the team still walked away with both Championships.

Ron has successfully managed some of the most volatile personalities the F1 paddock has seen so there's no reason to think that the team will shake itself apart over this. Looking at it the other way as long as Kimi & JPM don't get dirty on the track it could be just what the team needs - 2 of the best drivers in F1 going hell for leather to prove that they are the one the team should keep. If the rest of the team can give them reliable cars we could be in for some real fireworks.

Man of Honour
OP
Grove is F1 lifeline Says Narain Karthikeyan

Narain Karthikeyan admits that his fourth driver role at Williams is a F1 career 'lifeline'.

The Indian driver nearly swung out of the sport's revolving doors at the end of 2005, after falling out with his debut employer, Jordan.

However, even if the more coveted 'Friday' seat went to someone else, Karthikeyan - whose personal sponsor Tata takes up residence on the FW28 race car - reckons testing for the famous Williams team will at least keep his name swirling in F1 circles.

“'If you drop out of Formula One,” he said, “you can find it very difficult to go back in.”

The 29-year-old hinted that being in a top team, even if only visible at deserted test circuits, is better than plugging away at Grands Prix with a lowly F1 straggler.

“It is better to be able to show your talent, like I did (in team testing) in December,” Karthikeyan insisted.

Man of Honour
OP
Williams sees end to GPMA threat

An end to the dispute that has cast grey clouds over F1 is nearing.

That is the opinion of Sir Frank Williams, the last team principal to have signed up to Bernie Ecclestone's new post-2008 Concorde Agreement.

Apart from Ferrari, Red Bull's teams and Midland, every other F1 player is still aligned with 'GPMA' and the threatened exit from the grid.

However, asked if Mercedes, Renault, BMW, Honda and Toyota will ultimately tow the line, Williams, 63, said: “'My own opinion is that I would think so.

“I am aware of less chatter than three or six months ago. There is a little belligerence from one or two of the usual quarters but I think they will get together soon.”

Man of Honour
OP
ashtray_head said:
Senna and Prost.......... friction... think it was a little more than that!!! ;)

great year though

Seem to remember that Senna refused to talk to Prost at all and refered to him as "him" or "the frenchman"

Prost just ignored him. :D

Was a great season though - and the car was beautiful.

Simon/~Flibster

Back
Top Bottom