2005/2006 F1 News and Testing.

Man of Honour
They're back :)

Minardi founder returns to racing
Minardi team founder Gian Carlo Minardi will get back to racing after joining forces with the Italian GP Racing team to compete in the upcoming Euro 3000 championship.

The new Minardi Team by GP Racing will take part in the the new series, which replaces the F3000 Italia championship.

The team will use Lola B02/50 cars, which will sport the same yellow and dark blue colours as the Minardi F1 cars of the 1980s.

Minardi, who founded his Formula One squad in 1979, left the sport last year after the team were bought by Red Bull and renamed Toro Rosso.

"After 20 years in Formula One, and after the recent arrival of Scuderia Toro Rosso, I've thought of taking a step back and go back to my origins," said Minardi. "1980 saw the debut in Formula Two of Minardi, which one year later would get their first victory with the unforgettable Michele Alboreto. It's a well-known story after that.

"Today I want to start a new adventure: together with GP Racing and [technical partners] Bimecc we'll take forwards an ambitious project, and that is to become a reference point for talented drivers who want to become main players.

"The new adventure starts at Monza in March and we hope it'll be able to bring us significant results as soon as possible."

The team will be based in Veggiano, near Padua.

Team Director Tancredo Pagiaro added: "I'm really happy I'm able to announce an agreement which I'm sure will take us very far. The great experience and undoubted capabilities of Gian Carlo Minardi will be extremely useful for our new venture.

"I'm proud of having contributed in bringing back the Minardi name to motor racing and I'm sure we'll get satisfaction from the series which will start in Monza on March 19th. A lot of work is awaiting us, but we are so charged with enthusiasm that we can't wait to start this new adventure."

Man of Honour
OP
Lovely to see the name back in Motorsport! :D

Lets hope they do well then. :D

Anyway...

Cosworth defends V8/V10 engine rules

Cosworth has defended the controversial engine ‘equivalency formula’ aimed at equalising the performance of V8 and V10 engines in Formula 1.

With teams allowed to run in either configuration this year, the FIA has sought to peg back the 3-litre V10s to the same power levels as the new breed of 2.4-litre V8s by means of an air restrictor and an rpm limit.

Although only Scuderia Toro Rosso has opted to run detuned V10s, rival teams have complained that the existing restrictions do not gar far enough and give the Italian outfit an unfair power advantage.

But Cosworth, which is supplying V10s to Toro Rosso and V8s to Williams, insists that the current formula is based on the best available evidence.

“The equivalency rule causes a lot of fluttering in the F1 pit lane, there is no doubt about that,” said Cosworth CEO Tim Routsis.

“Essentially, it is there for the next two years if Toro Rosso want to take up the option.

“We were asked by the FIA to propose some equivalency rules, and obviously the data we had was the comparison between our own V8 and our own V10, and we put forward a set of suggestions regarding what we thought would be a lap time equivalency taken across the season.

“Equivalency is a difficult thing to define, and we have tried to take it on lap times across the season.

“You cannot just pick power; there are too many differences between the engines - weight, torque, fuel consumption.

“So quite a lot of work was put in to try and come up with that equivalency, and we still see no reason to change the numbers that are being put forward.

“I know a lot of other people are looking at how their V10 would perform against those parameters and measured up against what their V8 could do, and that has caused some teeth-sucking.

“But I don’t see anybody else running a V10 at the moment, so I think it will be a moot point.”

Routsis said the only means Cosworth has of judging whether the equivalency formula is pitched at the right level is a comparison between the performance of its own restricted V10 and its own V8.

“The conversations we’ve had with the FIA are very straight forward,” he said.

“We have made it very clear that taking all the factors as being equal, a car with our V8 should finish ahead of a car with our restricted V10.

“Where that will put everyone else in the pecking order, is outside the conversation we had.

“It will be interesting to see how it pans out, but my expectation is that the rules will stay pretty much as they are at the moment in terms of where the equivalency figures are.”

The FIA has made it clear that it will change the rules at 24 hours’ notice if it emerges that the V10s do, indeed, have an advantage.

Routsis confirmed that, in those circumstances, Cosworth could make the necessary changes overnight.

“Yes – we have to,” he said.

Soldato
Flibster said:
“We have made it very clear that taking all the factors as being equal, a car with our V8 should finish ahead of a car with our restricted V10.

“Where that will put everyone else in the pecking order, is outside the conversation we had.

I like these 2 lines.... it sounds like 'my v8 is better than yours!!'

Man of Honour
OP
Speed would prefer V8 grunt

Californian F1 rookie Scott Speed says he would rather be powered by a V8 power plant in 2006.

The new Scuderia Toro Rosso driver, 23, chimed into the engine equivalency debate by suggesting that the 2006 2.4 litre formula is the 'future' of the sport.

'Frankly, we'd rather like to have a V8,' Speed, whose team has opted for the FIA's temporary regulation allowing two years of rev-limited and air-restricted V10s, told Speed TV.

Scott added: '(Having a V8) would be better for the team in the long run. But a V10 is what we can have right now, and we hope it will work well for us.'

'STR' is currently still testing with Red Bull's 2005 car, but a bespoke racer should hit the track early in February, before the STR1 is launched in March.

Scott Speed said eyeing podiums is not a realistic target for the Faenza based outfit.

He said: 'But definitely points.

'It depends on how the new car will be.

'We have the resources to be well ahead of both (MF1 and Super Aguri), I believe.'

Man of Honour
OP
GPMA meets with Ecclestone

The prospect of peace in Formula One took a further step forward late last week, when Bernie Ecclestone met with the remaining members of the carmakers' 'GPMA' faction.

It is suggested in the German press that representatives of Mercedes, Renault, BMW, Honda and Toyota sat down with the F1 supremo, as the likelihood of a 'breakaway' series for 2008 continues to diminish.

Ferrari, Williams, Red Bull's two teams and Midland (MF1) are already signed up to 75-year-old Bernie's new Concorde agreement for the five year period commencing after 2007.

Of the remaining teams, it is suggested that both Japanese carmakers, plus Renault, are ultimately likely to follow suit within time, leaving the hardliners - BMW and Stuttgart-based Mercedes-Benz - with no option.

With much of the money row seemingly settled, the final dispute is apparently about Max Mosley's intended 2008 rules.

'We are seeing some signs of getting closer, some compromise and some good discussions,' Honda board member Yasuhiro Wada revealed last week.

Man of Honour
OP
'Circuits likely to share German GP'

Hermann Tomczyk has told the Formula One world not to be surprised when Hockenheim and the Nurburgring begin alternating as host of a single German GP per year.

Germany's automobile club sport president, and an FIA vice president, told 'ADAC Motorwelt' that he envisages an end to the days where two annual grands prix - the German and European races - are staged in the country.

'The practice is no longer justifiable,' Tomczyk said. 'I can imagine very well that (the race) alternates, and I can see both (circuits) enjoying benefits.'

Italy, too, hosts two grands prix; one at Monza and the other further south, at Imola.

Man of Honour
OP
A new cloud over British GP

A grey cloud is once again threatening to move above the British GP.

With news that a $1bn developer, St Modwen Properties, is on the verge of signing a 125-year lease of the Silverstone venue, a group objecting to the plan has emerged within the track-owning British Racing Drivers' Club.

The St Modwen contract must first be ratified by the BRDC at a February 22 (2006) meeting.

Former British F3 champion and BRDC member Harry Stiller is leading the group of objectors, who argue that the Formula One race - costing the club some $21m every year - should not be safeguarded at any cost.

'We are being asked to vote on an agreement that could put our club in jeopardy and as yet we know nothing of the detail,' he told England's Daily Telegraph.

'Under the proposed deal it is my belief that we could lose control of the property entirely.'

Man of Honour
OP
Political shifts at the FIA

Eighteen months ago France's Jacques Regis was openly critical of Max Mosley'st policies and was even being mentioned as a possible candidate to face the FIA President in elections.

Mosley talked Regis into a new role as the supremo of world rallying and peace returned.

Mosley was re-elected last autumn. Now three months later Regis has resigned from his position as the President of the World Rally Championship Commission, "in mutual agreement with the FIA", according to the federation's press statement.

Regis himself is saying nothing.

The Frenchman will continue in the role only until the next meeting of the FIA World Motor Sport Council which will be held in Paris on March 22.
Regis has three years to run on his mandate as president of the Federation Francaise du Sport Automobile but is spending more time these days at a house he owns in Mauritius.

Man of Honour
OP
Trouble-free debut for Williams' FW28

Williams ran their 2006 car, the FW28, for the first time on Monday, with Nico Rosberg at the wheel at a wet Valencia.

The German completed 43 trouble-free laps for promotional purposes before this week's testing begins on Tuesday, when Mark Webber gets his first taste of the new Cosworth-powered car.

Technical director Sam Michael said: "Today was spent completing filming work with the FW28 before the proper testing begins tomorrow.

"It was cold and damp in the morning and then rain settled in for the afternoon. Even so, we managed to complete a few systems checks on the FW28 with no problems at all.

"Tomorrow Mark will drive the FW28 and Nico will drive the FW27C interim car, both with V8 engines."

Man of Honour
OP
Biaggi to test MF1 car again

When MotoGP refugee Max Biaggi recently tested for the Midland-owned MF1 team, he insisted that it was a 'one off'.

But the 34-year-old Italian, who reportedly will definitely not now race in the World Superbike category in 2006, added that if he ever re-appeared in the machine, it meant he has decided to be serious about Formula One.

Biaggi, is set to test for Midland-owned MF1 this week. He is expected to bag a pukka test seat.

'This was an unique thing,' he said at the time of his Silverstone test. 'If I drive again, then it means that the thing that really boils my blood - the motorcycle - won out.'

Man of Honour
OP
Gascoyne hopes tyre pact holds out

Toyota technical director Mike Gascoyne hopes that a pact among Bridgestone teams to work together to develop tyres capable of beating Michelin holds fast throughout the season, even if it means some teams might lose their advantage.

Toyota, Ferrari, Midland and Williams will pool their findings together to help Bridgestone beat Michelin it emerged last week, but some critics had speculated that the pact may soon fall apart if it looks like two teams such as Ferrari and Toyota are fighting very closely together in the championship.

"I'd hope it goes on at all tests where we're running together and doing tyre testing because it's beneficial," Gascoyne was quoted as saying by Autosport. "You do something and share the information and sure the others may benefit from it, but ultimately as long as Bridgestone benefits we all get a better tyre and that's how we benefit first and foremost."

"We just have to have a quicker car than the other Bridgestone runners," he added.

Man of Honour
OP
Fiat post a profit in 2005

The prospects of Ferrari owner Fiat SpA are looking up, after the Italian carmaker and company reported a profit in 2005.

It is Fiat's first net profit in five years, and compares with the $1.97bn loss of a year ago.

The $1.62 billion profit should, of course, be viewed in the context of the $2bn payment received from General Motors, the Forbes publication stated.

However, Fiat and Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo commented: "We have a lot to be satisfied about."

Right - finished 1.62 billion in the black after receiving a 2billion payout from GM - soooo....

In reality they finished 380million in the red...

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
Pat Symonds talks regulation changes

The Renault F1 Team’s strategy mastermind Pat Symonds explains the impact of changes to the sporting regulations, on how the team will work during the race weekends in 2006.

Pat, the most significant change to the sporting regulations comes in the form of tyre usage, both in the race and through the weekend. What is your perspective on the change?
"The first point is that we are once again allowed to change tyres during the race. This is not a step into the unknown because it marks a return to the sprint races we have seen since the mid-90s. The more interesting change, though, is how we use those tyres throughout the weekend. Unlike last year, we are now totally free and more importantly, we do not have to make our tyre choice until qualifying starts. In previous, years, we had to do so by Saturday morning. We can even start the race on new tyres and fit new tyres all the way through the race, if we choose to. The key thing is that we only have seven sets in total. Managing tyre usage is now a key strategic choice during the weekend."

What compromises will this involve?
"We need to balance the performance advantage that a new set of tyres can bring in the race, against getting all our set-up work done in practice. So first we have to decide how many sets we use in practice. We then need to decide how many sets of new tyres you want to use in qualifying – one, two or three? Ideally, we will use as few as possible, to keep them for the race, but will we be quick enough to get to the final qualifying session without them? How much advantage can we gain from fitting new tyres at a pit-stop in the race? The strategic benefit of this varies from circuit to circuit, so in some places we will want a new set in every stint – which could be up to four sets. There are many factors to consider in planning the structure of our weekend."

You will be using softer tyres throughout the race weekend – what does this change for the set-up, and strategies?
"The use of shorter life tyres requires a fundamental change to tyre development. We will be less worried about tyre wear in 2006, but problems like graining will become an issue once again. The car will be configured to use the tyres differently – we can be more aggressive in our set-ups if the tyres don’t have to last for the whole race. Finally, it has an impact on strategy. Last year, everything converged to a standard “rearward biased” two-stop strategy, with longer opening stints. In 2006, I think we will see more pit-stops and more strategic variation, to take advantage of the performance gain from fitting new tyres."

The weekend format has also changed – will that affect the amount of running you do?
"The most significant change is that we no longer have to make our tyre choice on Friday evening. Track conditions are not generally at their best on Friday, but last year we had to run in order to understand the tyre behaviour and make an informed choice. That is no longer the case, as we only have to make our decision before qualifying, allowing us to run when track conditions are most representative."

Does that mean we will see less running on Friday?
"I think it almost certainly will. Those teams with the advantage of the third car will run a lot, but for the top four teams, there will be much less activity. The tyre situation is one reason, but we also have a longer qualifying procedure – which will use up engine mileage. We will be managing engine life very carefully once again in 2006, especially at the beginning of the year when all the teams will have brand new units. Everybody will look to save their running on Friday."

But presumably, you still have to run to establish a good set-up for the car…
"Of course, so what we are talking about is a change in the timetable of how we run the car. With a dry weather forecast, I expect we will do very little on Friday morning, a little more in the afternoon, and the majority of our work on Saturday morning, when track conditions will be at their best. That one hour session will be very busy!"

Finally, we have a new qualifying format. What strategic complications does it bring?
"This changes according to where you expect to qualify. If you expect to be at the back, things are very easy; similarly, at the front, it is a bit more complex but not too bad. However, in the midfield, there is a melting pot of opportunities. Any cars outside the top ten are allowed to determine their fuel load after qualifying, so there is no doubt it is better to qualify 11th, when you will most likely use a heavy fuel load, than 10th. You can then calculate your strategy around longer stints that should allow you to overtake cars ahead during the pit-stops. This may lead to some jockeying for positions outside the top ten during the second qualifying session."

Will cars running in the final super-pole session, run lower fuel loads for the first race stint than those outside the top ten?
"In general, I think so. Cars competing in the super-pole have to start the session with their fuel load for the first stint. Obviously, there is an optimum fuel load to carry. But you now have to calculate whether you can burn off enough of this fuel during the twenty minutes, to set a lap on low fuel at the end – when the car is at its lightest, and therefore fastest. If not, do you choose a lower fuel load to improve your grid position? Or qualify further down the grid, but with a strategic advantage? Each team will strike a balance between the optimum race strategy, and the fight for grid position. For the cars outside the top ten, the logical thing to do is to carry as heavy a fuel load, as your tyres will allow you to. This will allow you to pit later, and perhaps make fewer stops, in order to gain track position during the race."

Do you expect the nature of the races to change?
"I think we will soon see a pattern emerge, with the front half of the grid racing off on lower fuel loads in the opening laps while the second half, with higher fuel loads, continue running as the front cars pit for the first time. Essentially, the top ten will run a “forward-biased” race – where the opening stints are short, like we saw in 2003 and 2004. For those cars outside the top ten, the optimum strategy will be “rearward biased” – with longer opening stints, and perhaps fewer stops, like in 2005. The qualifying format will split the race into two very distinct halves in 2006, at least in the opening stages."

Man of Honour
OP
MF1 to launch on Friday

Midland's first all-new grand prix car will be launched as scheduled this Friday, the 'MF1' formula one team reports.

Although the car's 'M16' designation has reminded some observers of an assault rifle, sporting boss Adrian Burgess promises a 'far better' weapon than 2005's two-year-old Jordan.

He said: ''We've had twelve months of stability now, we know who the owner is, we know where we're going.''

A year ago, the frantic focus at Silverstone HQ was on trying to fit the customer Toyota V10 into a car that was designed for a Ford. ''(With the M16) we've been able to attend to details that we couldn't with last year's car,'' Burgess adds.

He said the M16 has so far performed better in the wind tunnel than did the Shanghai-spec EJ15.

It will be unveiled to the world's media at Silverstone.

Man of Honour
OP
Berger Jr unlikely in Formula One

While F1's grid of the future fills up with young Rosbergs, Piquets and Laudas, Gerhard Berger says his offspring are unlikely to feature in Formula One.

Berger told Austria's Trend magazine that his daughters would never be good enough to compete with male rivals.

"Women are built differently to men," the 46-year-old veteran of 210 races said, "so in a sport where there is no female category, they wouldn't have a chance."

Whether woman are good enough to compete with male drivers is an age-old argument of supposed sexism in the formula one paddock. But Berger suggests that woman competing with men is not expected in any other form of sport, such as tennis, swimming or athletics.

And he said: "I believe woman can drive cars very well. But, as in all other kinds of sport, there would have to be a female league, otherwise it's unfair."

Man of Honour
OP
The Business of Winning

When the Renault F1 Team achieved double world championship victory in 2005, securing both constructors’ and drivers’ crowns, it marked the first time a mass-market automobile manufacturer had won the world championship. That victory was also won with a distinctive approach – the team did not have the biggest budget, nor the most employees. In a world commonly seen as one where money can buy success, victory bucked the trend.

Renault’s victory marked the culmination of a philosophy that was inaugurated in 2000, when the company purchased the Benetton Formula Team to prepare for its works return to the sport in 2002. A philosophy characterised by efficient spending, adaptability, the belief in talent and a significant return on investment, that took the team to the pinnacle of world motorsport.

“Formula 1 is a unique sport,” explains Managing Director Flavio Briatore. “We have a special product: technology, lifestyle and passion. If you win the championship, it is because you have the technology. But it must be a little about show-business. That is what Renault has done – we have a strong personality for the team, and built beneath it a highly qualified group of people, and strong technology.”

Flavio Briatore makes no pretence of understanding every element of the advanced technology Formula 1 relies upon, and helps develop. Indeed, when he arrived in the paddock in 1998, in the midst of what insiders call ‘the Piranha Club’, he didn’t know anything about the sport. Pitted against rivals who had built their teams from humble beginnings, the Italian set to transform the perceived weakness into a strength.

“I always believe that if you come in from the outside, you can see things that other people don’t see,” he explains. “A Formula One team is like any other company. You need to make sure you have the right structure, and the right product. That product is the car and the engine together. But I don’t think the product makes any difference if you are managing the company well. A good manager can translate and adapt his abilities to any business.”

Formula One represents a formidable high-technology platform, as teams explore the boundaries of chemical and physical performance: engines running at over 19,000 rpm and cars literally ‘flying on the ground’. Yet that challenge means nothing without the human factor, for it is not technology, but how people use that technology, that makes the difference between winning and losing. In a sport where tightly-policed regulations dictate how much of the car must be made, and to what dimensions, the secret to success lies in people and organisations.

“Success is about people,” continues Briatore. “There is not one person that makes the company do well, or do badly. A team has a heart, and when those people understand their objective, and they are in the right structure, then they work well. So you need decisive leadership. Managers explain why decisions have been taken, and then make sure they are implemented quickly, to continue moving forward. A driver is the last act in that play, because he interprets and delivers everybody else’s work on the track.”

What’s more, at Renault, the heart of that structure is built much like the cars they spend their time designing: as light, and taut, as possible. The team is a lean, dynamic enterprise – a philosophy that leaves each individual with no place to hide, but ensures each talent is exploited to its full. The focus is simple: efficiency. Which also translates to spending, where the Renault F1 Team is listed by paddock observers as having just the fifth-highest budget on the grid. First position performance, for fifth-position spending.

What is the secret?

“It is about efficiency,” explains Briatore. “These things come from the top of the company. We invest every penny in the business, and how we manage our departments. But it is also about how we operate. We know you have to prioritise, and make the right decisions. If you have an unlimited budget, it can be like going into a restaurant where the menu is fantastic. So you have a bit of that, of bit of this, and you end up with nothing. The way we work, is like going shopping. You know what you want for dinner. So you go any buy the ingredients, and the result is what you want. That is because you have a clear focus, you have made decisions and your effort is efficient.”

However, while achieving a performance differential on the track is essential to building a successful platform for F1 success, it is not the whole story for Briatore:

“Everybody has a car, an engine in the back, and tyres. So what makes the difference between one team and another? It is the personality.”

The Renault F1 Team is not simply an efficient high technology company, but an expression of human dedication, and passion. The personality it conveys is youthful, energetic and dynamic. And the team’s philosophy is to open the sport to a wider public, to bring fans closer to the unique spectacle of Formula 1.

“We don’t live in an ivory tower, and that’s why we have taken our car to Moscow, to Istanbul, to take F1 to the people – and hundreds of thousands have come to watch us,” explains the Italian in a reference to the team’s unique Renault F1 Roadshow programme, which will continue to expand in 2006.

“Formula 1 helps Renault demonstrate performance, reliability and a competitive level of technology, but the company’s values also centre on conviviality and warmth of personality. We try to express that through the team.”

That is reflected in the healthy investment the team continues to attract. “I think we are still a human team,” explains Briatore. “We do a job but we are not pretentious. Our partners want performance on the track and exposure, and we deliver – we had the top two brands for exposure in Formula 1 last year. It is easy to communicate with our team and about us: we are open, there are no filters.”

Consequently, the partnership portfolio ranges from long-standing partnerships with Total, whose Elf brand is also the first-fill oil and lubricant for all Renault cars; to partnership with telecommunications brand i-mode, for whom the Renault F1 Team is an important vehicle for building brand awareness as it expands from its Japanese base throughout Europe; to extensive technical partnerships, that include a unique technology collaboration with the Phantom Works divisions of Boeing.

Yet this combination of personality and efficiency would be worth nothing without a final, vital component: success. Investment is not what counts; rather, delivering on investment.

“We are a good investment for sponsors: we spend less, which means we ask for less money than our competitors – but we are winning. In any business, that is a relationship that makes sense,” concludes Briatore.

Man of Honour
Briatore: Red Bull betrayed Michelin
Renault team boss Flavio Briatore has accused Red Bull of "betraying" the Michelin teams by voting in favour of bringing back tyre changes this season.

Autosport.com understands that Red Bull Racing were the sole Michelin team to cast a vote in favour of the rule change, along with Ferrari, Toyota, Williams, Midland, Toro Rosso - who are also owned by Red Bull - and Bridgestone.

Red Bull's vote tipped the balance in favour of introducing tyre changes during the race, after these were banned in 2005 and proved beneficial for the Michelin tyre.

According to sources, Red Bull's vote had taken their rivals by surprise, while the French tyre maker was in fact so angry, the company was investigating the possibility of bringing legal action against Red Bull for a breach of contract.

Speaking at the Renault 2006 car launch in Monaco today, Briatore said his team were in favour of the new knock-out qualifying format that will be used this season but he was not supportive of the tyre changes.

"In terms of a spectacle, we have accepted to change qualifying - normally the ones who win do not want to change anything, but for the sake of the racing, we agreed," the Italian said.

"However, we thought it was good to have one tyre for the race. But somebody betrayed us from within the Michelin family.

"Red Bull voting like that was completely mad. I'm upset and it will be very interesting to see how they will perform this season."

Briatore was nevertheless adamant that the French tyre company, which said it will pull out of Formula One at the end of this season, will continue to do a better job than its Japanese rival.

"We have a lot of confidence in the Michelin team and Mr. Michelin," Briatore said. "It is their last year in F1, they want to win the title, and I have every confidence in them. I am sure we can beat Bridgestone this year."

Well meeeeoooowww!

Soldato
Its funny how at this stage every combination of tyre/car/engine seems to think it can win in 2006!

Well done to Red Bull - they have seen the light with tyre changes!

Man of Honour
OP
In Monte Carlo on Tuesday, the reigning champion Renault team converged to launch an 'aggressive' defence of its 2005 grand prix crowns.

The fully liveried R26 racer, dubbed 'evolutionary' rather than radical and wearing the coveted number one, was on display for the world's media.

But with rumours of a possible exit from motor sport's biggest stage hanging in the air, many eyes and ears pointed towards Carlos Ghosn, the new CEO of Renault who is renowned for ruthlessly cutting costs.

But while there were no hints of an imminent quit strategy, he didn't exactly offer an iron-clad guarantee that the French carmaker is committed to plugging away on the grid.

Ghosn said: "As long as we continue to perform well, we offer a good show, and obviously we are at the top level, then there are not questions about the future in formula one."

He also referred to 'uncertainty' about the post-Concorde period, and advised that a carmaker is only interested if 'good, fair returns' can be assured.

A less polite team boss Flavio Briatore, on the other hand, slammed journalists for spreading 'false information' about Renault's speculated exit.

"These journalists need new jobs," the Italian fumed to the 'Evening Echo'.

"Renault want to stay in formula one under certain conditions which is the same as Mercedes, BMW, Honda and Toyota. Five of us want certain conditions."

Man of Honour
OP
Flav denies Renault are withdrawing

Renault boss Flavio Briatore has dismissed claims his team will withdraw from Formula One, blaming a French conspiracy.

Fernando Alonso's defection to McLaren for 2007 prompted suggestions he was jumping ship prior to a Renault withdrawal from grand prix racing.

But at Tuesday's launch of Renault's 2006 car, Briatore slammed the French media for what he claimed was "false information".

He said: "I have read in the French press that Renault is going to leave Formula One.

"These journalists need new jobs - they had false information which they disseminated everywhere.

"Renault want to stay in Formula One under certain conditions which is the same as Mercedes, BMW, Honda and Toyota. Five us want certain conditions."

Briatore echoed Renault President Carlos Ghosn's reassurances that the company are not plotting an imminent withdrawal from Formula One.

Ghosn's arrival as head of Renault had prompted fears he would repeat the cost-cutting exercises he undertook at Nissan, which brought a swift end to their motorsport participation.

However, Ghosn expressed his belief that current discussions over an extension to the Concorde Agreement would reach an amicable conclusion to keep Renault in the sport.

Renault and the other manufacturers want changes to the way Formula One is governed, as well as more money, but Ghosn claims he is optimistic that dispute will not prompt his team's withdrawal.

"We want a good show, to compete at a high level and to win again," he said today in Monte Carlo.

"As long as we continue to perform well and offer a good show at the top level in Formula One there is not so much of a question about Renault in Formula One.

"There are questions about how Formula One will evolve. I consider we will come to a good resolution to the problems we have.

"Formula One will continue to have a good return on our investment and Renault will still be there."

Back
Top Bottom