2005 Petronas Malaysian Grand Prix

Caporegime
i dont like the idea of no tye changes at pit stops, i dont see how it will make the racing more interesting, have financial impact or do anything positive, as cars still have to pit for fuel...

there were some racing moments, but not many.

i dont see how they can make F1 ultra competetive with over taking left right and center, it just isnt that kind of sport. NASCAR on the other hand puts loads of cars with the same engine next to each other on an oval where they are always in contact with each other and thus there is going to be overtaking..

in F1, if the car/driver is going to go a certain speed (with few variations other than declining speed all round due to tyre wear) then after the cars have dropped into line after their start and are doing their laps there isnt going to be much over taking as they are all miles apart lapping at thier respective speeds and wont close up, unless soemone uddenly finds they can lap 1 second a lap quicker than the guy in front. and then with only 56 laps in total, it will be too late for them to do anything anyway..!

Soldato
People were talking sometime last year about putting MS in a Minardi or something to see how he'd do... well how about a 2004 Ferrari? I think it's incredible how much relative performance they have lost with the new regs. Is it that they have had to seriously compromise the 2004 car to make it 2005-legal whereas the other teams have designed 2005 cars with the new regs in mind from day one? Is it just that Bridgestone have seriously dropped the ball with a 250 mile tyre?

Man of Honour
OP
I love this section of a file I've just received from my mate...

2005 MALAYSIAN GRAND PRIX
RACE FACTS - LAP-BY-LAP REPORT

*SNIP*

* Lap 3: Button pulls off in a haze of engine smoke. Precisely 32 seconds later, team-mate Davidson does likewise. Alonso is 2.1s clear. Friesacher spins into retirement at Turn One.

*SNIP*

:D 32 seconds precicely. :D

Oh and...Lap chart

lap%20chart.jpg

It's now uploading...

Simon/~Flibster

Arc

Arc

Associate
Emlyn_Dewar said:
I can't believe Honda, they were both new engines for this race aswell and they blow up in 2 laps? At the same time? Hmm... They need to pull the finger out and build something that can last a race distance!

Thats not including Buttons engine that blew up after Qual 1, so Button has two engines in one weekend and they dont last more than a few minutes each. Then add in Davidsons one engine for the weekend.

To be fair though, Malaysia is pretty unique with respect to temps and humidity. They may have been unlucky with a basic part failing on all three engines.

Associate
VirtualAdept said:
Cracking thread Flibster :)

Well said, keep up the good work fella! Complely missed the race due to being in Dublin for St Patricks day. Looking forward to seeing the next race with your cracking updates :cool:

Gold star for you for being so generous.

Man of Honour
OP
Arc said:
Thats not including Buttons engine that blew up after Qual 1, so Button has two engines in one weekend and they dont last more than a few minutes each. Then add in Davidsons one engine for the weekend.

To be fair though, Malaysia is pretty unique with respect to temps and humidity. They may have been unlucky with a basic part failing on all three engines.

His engine didn't go bang..I read reports that it had and had been changed - but it wasn't.

He just had a major oil leak which was fixed without changing the engine.

Simon/~Flibster

Associate
The whole JV thing is such a shame. I never liked him when he won the World Chamionship, but I want to see him do well and be like he used to be. He is a true racer, takes no carp, and speaks his mind. A bit like Eddie Irvine used to be. The sport needs people like that, but if he is too slow, he is too slow and it looks like he will be away, unless he does something amazing in Bahrain (or before!)

Soldato
goreblast said:
The whole JV thing is such a shame. I never liked him when he won the World Chamionship, but I want to see him do well and be like he used to be. He is a true racer, takes no carp, and speaks his mind. A bit like Eddie Irvine used to be. The sport needs people like that, but if he is too slow, he is too slow and it looks like he will be away, unless he does something amazing in Bahrain (or before!)
Yeah - it's sad, kinda like the day you realised you could out run your dad or something. It's never good to see someone fall from grace like that, it's almost embarrassing. Nigel Mansells last year was the same. I guess we just expect heroes to be heroes. There's no doubting is was good in America then '96 and '97.

Man of Honour
OP
GOt a couple of videos uploaded as well..they'll probably kill my webspace...but what the hell. :D

Both 320x240 XviD

http://www.flibster.eclipse.co.uk/F1/tempvideo/3some.avi - 7.02mb - Webber, Heidfeld and Ralf Schumacher having some fun

http://www.flibster.eclipse.co.uk/F1/tempvideo/3some.avi - 18mb - Webber and Fisichella tripping over wach other.

The more I watch that incident the more I think it was Fisi's fault for pushing to hard on knackered tires down the inside on all the marbles. He should have just let Webber go..

Simon/~Flibster

Last edited:
Soldato
Flibster said:
The more I watch that incident the more I think it was Fisi's fault for pushing to hard on knackered tires down the inside on all the marbles. He should have just let Webber go..
Yeah, GF lost control and slid into MW. It was GF's responsibility not to lose control of his car rather than MW's responsibility not to be where GF might slide into him.

Back
Top Bottom