2005 United States Grand Prix

Associate
Dolph said:
I'm trying to work out why some people are saying the rules of a sport should be changed for entertainment purposes......
For the simple reason that they don't want the sport to die. The thing that keeps people coming back to F1 is the entertainment value - if that is removed, then why should the fans fork out ridiculous amounts of money to see it? With the fans gone, the sponsors would be out of there sharpish and it'd be bye-bye F1.

I'm not saying it will get that far. I believe that F1 will recover from this. However, it's going to be a lot harder to recover than if the FIA had made some concessions for the sake of keeping the fans happy.

Associate
Actually, another point for Dolph. Why is it then that they are always changing the rules at the start of the season, for virtually every sport? It wouldn't be for entertainment value the vast majority of the time would it?

Surely you must agree with the changing of some rules? :)

Soldato
xyphic said:
.................I'm not saying it will get that far. I believe that F1 will recover from this. However, it's going to be a lot harder to recover than if the FIA had made some concessions for the sake of keeping the fans happy.

I don't think it will recover. Come the end of 2007 everyone but Ferrari (at this stage) are taking their ball and going home (to start a new champoinship).

This has put Ferrari and the FIA even further in the doghouse with the other teams!

Oh well! ;)

Cheers

Associate
//Mike said:
Actually, another point for Dolph. Why is it then that they are always changing the rules at the start of the season, for virtually every sport? It wouldn't be for entertainment value the vast majority of the time would it?

Surely you must agree with the changing of some rules? :)

Its one thing to change the rules at the start of the season when the teams are given a chance to react, quite another to change them a day/hour/minutes before a race.

Associate
stu4691 said:
Its one thing to change the rules at the start of the season when the teams are given a chance to react, quite another to change them a day/hour/minutes before a race.

Changing them several hours before the race would have given everyone ample time to react. From what I can understand, the teams were willing for the chicane to go in.. even Ferrari who said it was down to the FIA (the rule makers).

And why did the rules need to be altered in the first place? Surely allowing the Michelin runners to change tyres on grounds of safety (which is allowed in the rules) would suffice?

Associate
//Mike said:
Glad to see them not spraying champagne :), except for Monteiro.

He doesnt yet grasp the seriousness of the situation, agreed it was his first podium and wanted to have a bit of fun, but at least he didnt go mental like they normally do, as soon as he realised he was alone up there he promptly left the podium. Later tonight he'll probably start thinking "did i deserve it?".

Back
Top Bottom