2006 Malaysian Grand Prix - Race 2/18

Morning guys,

Unfortunately I didn't manage to see the quali program this morning - had my 18th last night so was a little bit bladdered (18th isn't actually untill tomorrow though, so you all better have got me something nice ;) ). I haven't read the spoilers yet but I will watch the show sometime this morning!

I will of course endeavour to join you all tomorrow morning! :D

This new qualifying format has certainly spiced things up a bit, glad I dragged myself out of bed at 5:30 this morning. Would be nice to see Button get his first win, but I'll be surprised if his race pace lives up to qually. Damn that Rosberg is quick though :eek:

What's rather ridiculous is we've now all watched Qualifying but we don't know the 'official' grid order for the race (I know Flibster has had a damn good go at figuring it out, earlier in the thread). That's a bit of a joke really.

However, the McLarens will be up there.

Money where your mouth is time, folks :D I've gone for a £50 E/W on JPM @ 12/1.

Driver of 2006 already without a doubt: Nico Rosberg

diapoa_280.jpg

So what was the official reason for JVs retirement from Bahrain then, if it wasn't engine related?

Something needs to be done with the final session though. After the excitement of the first two segments watching the cars trundle round is a bit of a let down. I do sort of like Flavs idea that you start the race on the fuel left over from qualifying. That will certainly reduce the pointless laps burning off the fuel as this would then leave an empty car on the grid.

Alibaba99 said:
So what was the official reason for JVs retirement from Bahrain then, if it wasn't engine related?

Something needs to be done with the final session though. After the excitement of the first two segments watching the cars trundle round is a bit of a let down. I do sort of like Flavs idea that you start the race on the fuel left over from qualifying. That will certainly reduce the pointless laps burning off the fuel as this would then leave an empty car on the grid.

Why not just continue to commit to the fuel level before the final session, but don't actually put it in - go out light and fuel to the predetermined level afterwards.

Tax Evader said:
Why not just continue to commit to the fuel level before the final session, but don't actually put it in - go out light and fuel to the predetermined level afterwards.

I say - just get rid of this "qualifying on race fuel" malarky altogether. Just have the cars as light as possible, then let them fuel up before the race start to their own wishes.

Pole position should be decided by who can drive the quickest round the track, outright. With light fuel, 3 lap qualifying tyres, and a screaming engine. None of this, race fuel for the top 10, so the guy in 11th actually has a faster time than the guy on pole - it's nonsense!

another good qualifying session! congrats to the williams team, looking strong again, nico rosberg doing brilliant on his first visit to malaysia, glad i got him in my ff1 team :D

Nice to see you've had a go at predicting the grid flibster, ITV only showed us the top ten this morning, the Official F1 site tells me the what order they finished qually but not what order they line up, F1 racing.net has conveniently forgotten about JV's engine change and says he will line up 10th (ahead of ITV predicting Schumi in 10th). They want to make qually more enjoyable - achieved, but if they want the fans to understand how this qualifying forms the grid then they have some way to go IMO.

Anyway, I enjoyed the qualifying even though it was a little confusing at the end. I seem to remember ITV mentioning that Massa had two engine changes and will face a 20place penalty so he might be slightly further down on your grid, but I'm not sure what will happen to ralf... :confused:

Also, I was not aware of ITV using its sister channels for anything other than repeats until now, I just wish they would use them for an F1extra show or similar, so at races like Canada/US which happens during Prime time they can switch to ITV3 for post-race analysis and press conference instead of just cutting it. They could then put this F1 extra stuff into the end of the repeat show. Makes sense?

Just finished watchin qualifying, great as always :D Love the new format now, unsure of it at the start. Last part of the 3rd session was great, brilliant drive from Rosberg, but I feel the car might be light on fuel.

McLaren's shown fast pace again, they got to be fueled up quite a bit. So are the Renault's I feel.

Off the start tomorrow, I think that Webber is gunner get took by Kimi, Montoya and Alonso down to the first corner. Fisi and Button are running light, giving the advantage to the McLarens and Alonso, the same with Rosberg I think.

I prediction on the top 5 is:

1. Kimi
2. Montoya
3. Alonso
4. Button
5. Fisi

Back
Top Bottom