2006 Malaysian Grand Prix - Race 2/18

Found this, just to put a spaner in the works :D

Who is where on the grid?

Ralf Schumacher, Malaysian GP 2006© The Cahier ArchiveThe important point to be made is that the grid for the Malaysian Grand Prix will not be published until Sunday morning and thus it is possible that there will be teams who will decide to change engines before the race begins. If they do that they will face a penalty of starting at the back of the grid. If more than one driver suffers this fate they will line up in number order with the lowest numbers ahead of the higher numbers. At the moment we know that Ralf Schumacher and Felipe Massa will be changing engines and so will be 21st and 22nd on the grid if there are no others with problems. They had their problems after the start of qualifying, at which point the penalty for an engine change increases from 10 places on the grid to a drop to the back.

The other penalised drivers (those who had the problem before the start of qualifying) have penalties of 10 places on the grid. Thus Michael Schumacher dropped from fourth to 14th, David Coulthard 11th to 21st and Rubens Barrichello 12th to 22nd. However with Ralf getting a penalty on Sunday morning after parc ferme reopens Michael will move up to 13th. Coulthard will move up to 19th (because there is no-one left in front of him) and Barrichello will be 20th for a similar reason. Massa will be 21st and Ralf Schumacher 22nd.

This could change if anyone else has to switch engines tomorrow morning but in principle the grid will be: Fisichella, Button, Rosberg, Webber, Montoya, Raikkonen, Alonso, Klien, Trulli, Villeneuve, Heidfeld, Speed, Michael Schumacher, Liuzzi, Albers, Monteiro, Sato, Ide, Coulthard, Barrichello, Massa and Ralf Schumacher.

I am wide awake :)

Unfortunately no lappy anymore - why cant apple launch a 12/13" macbook pro for me to buy...so I will reappear at the end, possibly :D

Morning. :D

Actually decided to have some kip last night....5 hours will do me...

Kettle is on and the frying pan is warming up. :D

Still trying to find out what the grid is. :confused:

Simon/~Flibster

Grrr, this has happened to me so many times before, I end up watching all the pre-race stuff just fine, then nod off during the parade lap, wake up mid race and just go to bed feeling disgusted with myself.

FIA anticipates no protests over wings

The FIA is optimistic that no teams will file a protest about so-called flexi-wings at the Malaysian Grand Prix today.

A series of meetings between team principals and senior technical figures have taken place in the Sepang paddock this morning. The cars of three teams, one of which is Ferrari, have been closely examined too.

The FIA is happy that no team is in breach of the regulations concerning moveable body parts, although any one of the 11 can lodge a protest at any stage of a Grand Prix weekend.

The FIA would face three key questions if a protest was made over such an issue.

The first would be simply is the subject illegal? The second is, if it is, has the part been designed and made that way deliberately? The third is, does it offer a performance advantage?

The question of flexible wings came to light at the Bahrain Grand Prix last week and involved allegations over Ferrari's rear wing.

Speculation has rumbled on in the Malaysian paddock all weekend, but a Ferrari spokesman told autosport.com earlier today: "We do not comment on any rumour. If there is a problem, there is a procedure through the FIA."

Qualifying fuel allocations - Malaysia

Following qualifying, the FIA released the number of laps each driver completed in the final qualifying session, and consequently the amount of fuel each driver is allowed to add to his car's fuel tanks before the start of the race:

Code:
[b]Driver        Team                     Laps   Fuel (kg)[/b]
Fisichella    Renault             (M)   13    36.5  
Button        Honda               (M)   13    36.5  
Rosberg       Williams-Cosworth   (B)   12    34.0  
M.Schumacher  Ferrari             (B)   13    36.5  
Webber        Williams-Cosworth   (B)   12    34.0  
Montoya       McLaren-Mercedes    (M)   12    34.0  
Raikkonen     McLaren-Mercedes    (M)   12    34.0  
Alonso        Renault             (M)   13    36.5  
Klien         Red Bull-Ferrari    (M)   4     11.5  
R.Schumacher  Toyota              (B)         66.2 *                        

* Ralf Schumacher's figure was provided to the FIA by Toyota prior to the start of the third period of the qualifying session
]

Doohickey said:
Grrr, this has happened to me so many times before, I end up watching all the pre-race stuff just fine, then nod off during the parade lap, wake up mid race and just go to bed feeling disgusted with myself.

Caffine is your friend. :D

Have a couple of strong coffees and do a little exercise. Works nicely. ;)

Simon/~Flibster

FIA's provisional grid for Malaysia

The final grid for the Malaysian Grand Prix has been released, bringing an end to a day of confusion and speculation.

With an extraordinary number of engine replacements prior to qualifying yesterday, the grid was a way off the qualifying results.

Barring any additional changes prior to the start of the race, the official grid, as released by the FIA, will be:

Code:
1.  G. FISICHELLA
2.  J. BUTTON
3.  N. ROSBERG
4.  M. WEBBER
5.  J. MONTOYA
6.  K. RAIKKONEN
7.  F. ALONSO
8.  C. KLIEN
9.  J. TRULLI
10.  J. VILLENEUVE
11.  N. HEIDFELD