2006 Malaysian Grand Prix - Race 2/18

Schumacher, Massa, with lots of fuel – Brawn

Michael Schumacher and Felipe Massa will carry heavy fuel loads to the Malaysian GP grid, Ferrari technical director Ross Brawn hints.

The Briton, who revealed that engineers are still getting to the bottom of the engine reliability problem, told 'Premiere' that the heavy race strategy could result in points 'and maybe even a podium'.

“You never know,” Brawn added, “(as) there is always the possibility of a safety car or rain.”

For the record, the chance of rain on Sunday is no less than 70%. A high of 33C is forecast.

Ferrari front wind under investigation

Ferrari's front wing is under investigation by the FIA, after TV pictures suggested that it contravenes the rules outlawing movable aerodynamic devices.

On-board pictures seen on the German Premiere satellite channel, but not the worldwide feed, apparently showed the upper elements moving sideways after retaining pins came out of their holes under load. Several teams were alerted to the story by people watching in Europe, and have made their feelings known to the FIA.

Rivals says that the role of Ferrari's suspect front wings is to balance the car between high and low speed corners, and not apparently to do with reducing drag and improving straightline efficiency.

In fact, what happens is that as the main front wing flexes downwards - as all wings do under load - a pin attaching the upper elements to the nose slides out of position. This creates a gap between the elements and the nose which allows a flow-through of air that would not otherwise occur.

We had that feed too as I spotted it - I really didn't think the wing was moving more than the allowed 5mm at peak

If it is proven that it is flexing...then there's going to be some massive changes on the Ferrari car - and probably every other car on the grid.

New McLaren package for Australia.

Ron Dennis has revealed that McLaren will introduce a significant package of updates to its MP4-21 in time for the Australian Grand Prix next month.

The tight early schedule meant that there was no time to do much between the first two races, but Australia will see the first of a series of what Dennis hopes will be major steps. The change to fresh engines will also allow Mercedes to make an upgrade on both cars for the Melbourne race.

"We will be quicker every other grand prix," Dennis insisted, "That is almost a guaranteed fact. And we will improve the car race on race. The smallest change this season will be between Bahrain and here. There's a minimal amount of time to do anything. If we've got the delightful challenge of changing two engines tomorrow, after the grand prix, we'll be pretty happy! And, of course, with a result, because it's really difficult at the moment, it's not easy. It's very apparent from what you see happening down the pit-lane.

How....
I mean just...HOW??

How can a short, wrinkley, arrogant ******* get someone like Michelle Yeoh - ok she's not a godess but...

Power must be one hell of an aphrodisiac

Simon/~Flibster

Creature said:
Her and Jean Todt....dear god why? That engine rev was so perfect aswell.

Lol, what an unlikely pair. I guess he's a poor man's Briatore... (well, I don't know about poor). I'm fairly awake now, having been suitably amused by the interview with Fisichella's stunning, pouting manager, what a guy :p

Back pain for Monteiro

MF1's Tiago Monteiro qualified in 20th position for the second Grand Prix of the season in Malaysia. After trouble yesterday as the 2005 rookie of the year is now suffering from a pinched nerve in his back.

During the hour long practice session on Saturday morning Monteiro covered 17 laps with a best lap of 1.37.900: "Physically, the session went better than I expected as I was concerned about the pain from my back."

"It's hot and humid out there on the track but at least the heat doesn't trouble me because I've been doing a lot of training to make sure I can cope easily with these conditions."

"I had a problem in the session when Montoya and Klien got into trouble and Klien got in my way during a flying lap. That meant my lap time was not as good as I'd hoped."

In qualifying this afternoon Monteiro finished the session with a time of 1.37.819 after his back problem returned. Monteiro will leave in 16th position tomorrow.

"It's my second time racing at this track. We couldn't make it into the second knockout session and just as I thought I wouldn't feel any more pain in my back, it struck me again and I felt I could hardly drive."

"For sure there are weekends where the new qualifying format will be beneficial to us but today it was not so bad for us. Despite my pinched nerve I will be leaving from row 8 in 16th position from the starting grid and I certainly hope to keep my advantage over the cars pushing behind me at the start."

"It is a decent start position. There will be at least five cars behind us on the starting grid because of engine changes. I have until tomorrow to get fit again. My masseur is already working on the case. I hope we'll have a good race tomorrow and that like this morning the pain will be gone."

Back
Top Bottom