2013 Haswell Retina MacBook Pro...

Associate
So close to ordering myself one, its sat in my basket taunting me... haha

13", 2.6ghz i5, 16gb and 256gb.... would do a nice job replacing my desktop without losing too much speed!

aMb

aMb

Associate
Mine arrived today! Admittedly I had the last rMBP so wasn't expecting anything major but the new graphics fixes any lag issues and it does feel a little bit lighter. I was hoping better wireless with 801.11ac but I do not think transfer speeds are any faster :confused:

Soldato
Mine arrived today! Admittedly I had the last rMBP so wasn't expecting anything major but the new graphics fixes any lag issues and it does feel a little bit lighter. I was hoping better wireless with 801.11ac but I do not think transfer speeds are any faster :confused:

Don't you need to setup your router for the ac connection? Are you sure your router supports it?

Associate
How apple has messed the pro customer up is annoying. I am considering a replacement to my 2009 mac pro and it's really hard to choose what way to go.

Love the retina screen but have a 15 hr battery life MBA as it is....

The 13inch does look better but performance and bang for buck the 15inch sweeps ahead..just not so good for carrying.

Associate
Arghhh. I was so close to ordering a maxed out 13" but after reading the last few posts here I'm now unsure to opt for the 15"!

I guess I'd rather have the performance over the portability but the 13" looks so much better IMO.

Soldato
Arghhh. I was so close to ordering a maxed out 13" but after reading the last few posts here I'm now unsure to opt for the 15"!

I guess I'd rather have the performance over the portability but the 13" looks so much better IMO.

I spent yesterday lunch time comparing the 13" against the 15"

Luckily the shop was quiet so I was able to do the same things on both.

Unfortunately after using them for a good 15-20 minutes my mind was made up. The 15" was absolutely the one to go for (I really wanted the cheaper 13").

The 15" screen is in another league. ok, yeah they are both retina, and the 13" actually has the higher dpi (if only .7 of a difference) but the extra 2" screen size is a dream. The 13" is just too small.

It's not just the screen size though, the 15" has the quad core processor with iris pro graphics (plus it is a higher resolution). I think for the extra few hundred, it's worth it.

Last edited:
Associate
I spent yesterday lunch time comparing the 13" against the 15"

Luckily the shop was quiet so I was able to do the same things on both.

Unfortunately after using them for a good 15-20 minutes my mind was made up. The 15" was absolutely the one to go for (I really wanted the cheaper 13").

The 15" screen is in another league. ok, yeah they are both retina, and the 13" actually has the higher dpi (if only .7 of a difference) but the extra 2" screen size is a dream. The 13" is just too small.

It's not just the screen size though, the 15" has the quad core processor with iris pro graphics (plus it is a higher resolution). I think for the extra few hundred, it's worth it.

I'm not sure whether to thank you for that post or not... Whilst helping me out no end it appears you've pushed me further into 15" territory and spending more cash!

The difference between the two specs I would go for is ~ £330. I can understand what you mean about the bigger screen but that would only come in use for when I was using it at home, the extra £330 would enable me to pick up a monitor for home and keep the portability of the 13". The thing that concerns me is the quad in the 15" is so much better for performance.

Ohhh why didnt they make a 13" with better processor options!

Soldato
I'm not sure whether to thank you for that post or not... Whilst helping me out no end it appears you've pushed me further into 15" territory and spending more cash!

The difference between the two specs I would go for is ~ £330. I can understand what you mean about the bigger screen but that would only come in use for when I was using it at home, the extra £330 would enable me to pick up a monitor for home and keep the portability of the 13". The thing that concerns me is the quad in the 15" is so much better for performance.

Ohhh why didnt they make a 13" with better processor options!

I hear you! was in the same boat myself

That £330 saving could buy you the 27" DGM IPS monitor :cool:

however.....you'll be keeping the laptop for quite a while, so at some point in the future you'll have another £330 to spend on the monitor. I think it all comes down to how much travelling you will be doing. That said, the best solution for travelling is the iPad!

it's a hard decision mate for sure

another question is how much better is the quad core and iris pro graphics. I think it is quite a bit better, but do you need it?

also, if you bought the 13", would you ever think to yourself "oh, should I have bought the 15" instead"

Last edited:
Soldato

however.....you'll be keeping the laptop for quite a while, so at some point in the future you'll have another £330 to spend on the monitor. I think it all comes down to how much travelling you will be doing. That said, the best solution for travelling is the iPad!

another question is how much better is the quad core and iris pro graphics. I think it is quite a bit better, but do you need it?

also, if you bought the 13", would you ever think to yourself "oh, should I have bought the 15" instead"
ipad? LOL no just no.

An ipad is not as productive as a proper laptop of any kind.

People who travel and carry laptops dont do it just to browse website and facebook. They carry it because then need to do some productive work out of there home and every tablet out there is useless for that unless you get a Microsoft Surface Pro 2 device.

The 15inch is not ideal for traveling. I used the last version 15inch and it was quite heavy to lug around to work every day on a commute!

I myself plan to go vietnam on a photo trip and i need a device thats portable yet powerful enough to edit my photo's while im there.

At home i already have a beast of a computer with 12gb ram, i7 920 clocked at 3.8ghz, a 780gtx classified GPU and not to mention a dual monitor setup.

where would my 15inch go? it wont hardly be used at home and even when i use it at home i would connect it to one of my PC monitors anyway!

Your better off buying a 13inch plus a brilliant 24inch monitor for the same price as a 15inch one yet have the portability of carrying it wherever you go And having a perfect setup at home doing your work on a nice 24inch monitor.

Last edited:
Associate

Both valid questions.
I've not seen any comparison benchmarks other than the ones on MR which say that the quad is double in performance. Whether I would benefit from that I'm not sure.
This also brings the question - If I went for the top i5 in the 13" would I benefit from the 16Gb of ram over the 8Gb...

Haha, yeah that could well happen - just as likely as 'oh, should I have bought the 13" because this one is a pain to lug around!'

Associate
Your better off buying a 13inch plus a brilliant 24inch monitor for the same price as a 15inch one yet have the portability of carrying it wherever you go And having a perfect setup at home doing your work on a nice 24inch monitor.

That is what my brain is telling me. This will be my desktop replacement though, and I'm concerned I may not be getting the best performance for the money.

I do travel but when I do it is always by car. The MacBook will be coming to work everyday but as I said by car.

Soldato
That is what my brain is telling me. This will be my desktop replacement though, and I'm concerned I may not be getting the best performance for the money.

I do travel but when I do it is always by car. The MacBook will be coming to work everyday but as I said by car.

get the 15inch one if it will be your desktop replacement.

IMO you are better off buying an imac for a desktop and then a 13inch macbook. best of both worlds.

If you do not plan to take your laptop abroad or on public transport then the 15inch may be fine.

Associate
get the 15inch one if it will be your desktop replacement.

IMO you are better off buying an imac for a desktop and then a 13inch macbook. best of both worlds.
If you do not plan to take your laptop abroad or on public transport then the 15inch may be fine.

Thats hardly the best advice. If I had an unlimited supply of money then I would, and you would be right, then I would also buy an iPad for the sofa, apple TV to replace the skybox... etc...

I don't and I'm trying to find the best Macbook for my needs to replace my current aging desktop and be portable.

Forget the screen, I'm trying to figure out if I would actually use the performance the 15" offers over the 13". Difficult to advise I know.

Back
Top Bottom