2013 Haswell Retina MacBook Pro...

Permabanned
Thought I would open up a separate thread as the event one is getting a little crowded.

With the 15" model Apple has now given us a choice for the GPU. What are you thoughts on this?

I am going to get the 15" model and I am really tempted to just go for the Iris Pro model and not bother with the 750m. Reason being is that when I had last years model it really annoyed me when the 650m kicked in and the battery life suffered. I don't really game much on my rMBP and when I did the discrete graphics was not up to par for the retina display anyway, I doubt thats going to change with the 750m.

I really like the idea of having a super fast business machine with maximum battery life. Hopefully the Iris Pro model delivers that.

Permabanned
OP
Yeah they work totally fine with windows. I'm a .net developer and use my mbp (now air) in bootcamp quite a bit, just have to remember that the battery won't last as long and that's it really. When I'm not programming I'll use OS X as the gesture support is so nice and I love 3 finger swiping through full-screened apps.

The only thing to watch out for I guess is the scalling issue Windows has, I've not tried windows on a retina so not sure what it'll be like but a guy in work just bought a surface pro2 with 1080p res on 10" :o, some of the older programs have TINY text.

Why not use parallels?

Permabanned
OP
I was set on getting the Macbook Air 13" because of its battery life, weight and decent resolution but this new Haswell 13" Macbook Pro's seems to offer everything (almost) I wanted from Macbook Air with extra performance at similar price.

The only thing that is holding me back is the retina display. Those with retina macbook pro what are your experiences with the following?

- Are there enough apps supporting the retina display?
- Any of these apps retina friendly - Adobe Suite, Lightroom, Sublime Text (Code Editor), Parallels Desktop, Cyber Duck, Steam etc.
- Whats the quality like for non retina resolutions like 1680 x 1050?
- Does it run hot like the old 2008-2010 Macbook pro's?
- Does it lag or hang due to the scale of the resolution?

Thanks.

The majority of Apps support the retina display. Adobe, Lightroom, Sublime Text and Parallels do not sure about the others. Gets a little fuzzy if an app doesn't support retina. Gets warm but not red hot. Apparently there is no lag now.

Permabanned
OP
Dude, you just saved me from a £1,700 headache!

will be keeping my PC for a bit longer, couldn't find half the software I used for OS X either. Perhaps a blessing in disguise

actually, I told a lie. I did buy a Mac about ten years ago and returned it after a month. Seems they haven't really come on a lot since then, as my research seems to tell me they are really lacking in software applications. Really wanted a new toy as well :mad:

You for real!

Permabanned
OP
Starting to notice this lag more and more, especially after using my Air for quite a bit yesterday, it's much smoother, that's on Mountain Lion mind.

Need to know if this is likely OS related, as if it's going to be like this all the time i'll probably send it back :(

Which model?

Mine is still not despatched, thats the one thing buying from Apple online, the wait!!

Permabanned
OP
well after spending far too much time looking into the various models I have come to the following conclusion

15" model, don't care about portability and size is sooooo much better

Iris Pro is better in most applications over the 750m it would seem. There is only one benchmark where the 750m was better, and that was only 4% better. I will NEVER play games on the Mac which is where the 750m would excel, and I hate using CUDA over software CPU encoding.

Currently have a 128gb ssd, so I very much doubt I'd need a 512gb one (have a 4TB USB3 external and most of my data is in the cloud anyway).

CPU speed bump I couldn't care less about

That leaves me with the base 15" model. Just trying to decide between 8gb and 16gb now. That's the only bit I need to get right before I place my order.

There's many people saying 8GB on mavericks is plenty. Then there are those saying due to the fact it's soldered on and can't be upgraded, go with the 16gb. Really don't want to be running Windows 8 VM on it (else why buy a Mac in the first place) and won't be editing large RAW photos or 4k video.

Still there's this nagging feeling I should just cough up the extra £135 extra just because. It's still £135 at the end of the day and £1,400 (EDU price) for the laptop is still an expensive purchase.

What swung the 16Gb upgrade for me was that the Iris Pro can use up to 2Gb of your 8Gb!

Back
Top Bottom