2013 Haswell Retina MacBook Pro...

Associate
I really cant decide between getting a rMBP with or without the dedicated GPU. My concern is the battery life when the GPU kicks in not plugged in.

I know there is gfxCardStatus but it may not work with future releases?

I wont need to use the GPU a lot, but it practically comes free with the 2.5GHz and 512SSD model and I would prefer to have it in case I do need it, but not at the cost of loosing 1 or 2 hours of batter every charge.

Does anyone know if gfxCardStatus will be supported in Yosemite or there are similar programs that do the same thing?

Please help me make a decision

I'm using the Yosemite Beta with my rMBP with dedicated graphics and it works perfectly fine - I'm getting about 4 - 6 hours out of the machine.

Soldato
My years apple care is up in a couple of months and I want to extend it.

Is there anywhere reliable that I can buy it that's cheaper than the official apple route?

Looking on ebay you can get it £100 cheaper than directly through apple. I know ebay can be dodgy but these sellers all have very good feedback. Is it too good to be true?

Last edited:
Soldato
Well that was fun, first rmbp had a cluster of dead pixels on delivery (wed), appointment next working day, a new screen arrived the next working day after that and they swapped it over on the Saturday. I took it back with severe lag/fans at 100% within an hour of collecting and was diagnosed with logic board/sensor failure, they gave in and replaced it with a full new unit, the genius asked if I wanted to check it and my exact words were 'no, I couldn't be that unlucky'. Took it home and a week later noticed a micro hole in the screen with no radiating fractures or radial scratching then spotted a 2nd, appointments following the iOS/OSX drops were minimal so I took what I could get and was offered yet another swap out for a new unit. I'm setting this one up now but so far i've spent the majority of my ownership going backwards and forwards to apple stores rather than using the thing :\ Slightly jaded with the whole thing now tbh.

It's been an eye opener as the whole reason I went with apple this time round was the wife's rmbp has been perfectly behaved.

Associate
I have a question and I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but rather than starting a new thread I said I'd ask here first.

I purchased a late 2013 mbp retina 15 inch last January along with 3 years Apple care.. It is the top off the shelf model (16gb ram, 512gb ssd, etc)

So my question is what is this machine worth now? I'm considering selling this machine to get a larger screened iMac.. I have had a quick look on eBay but I'm still none the wiser!
It is in excellent condition with only 23 cycles on the battery and of course over 2 years worth of Apple care remaining.
I had hoped it would fetch somewhere in the region of £1700.. Is this realistic?

Sorry if this is the wrong section or that these sort of question aren't allowed!

Thank
Mark

Associate
Unfortunately I am pretty sure you can;t do a price check here. There is a price check sub forum but it for member with a certain number of posts. Have a quick glance of the rules and it should be able to explain what is required of you.

As regards to your question I am of the opinion that 1700 is somewhat optimistic but it would be great if you could get that amount but I have a felling you probably end up selling for a bit less than that.

I picked mine up for less than that and it came with the 1tb flash drive.

Associate
Unfortunately I am pretty sure you can;t do a price check here. There is a price check sub forum but it for member with a certain number of posts. Have a quick glance of the rules and it should be able to explain what is required of you.

As regards to your question I am of the opinion that 1700 is somewhat optimistic but it would be great if you could get that amount but I have a felling you probably end up selling for a bit less than that.

I picked mine up for less than that and it came with the 1tb flash drive.

Thanks for the reply..

Okay I notice the rule section now so I better give it a read!

I had a feeling I was being a little optimistic alright, I'm not in a rush to sell so I might wait and see what similar machines are going for or look for a tb display before I make my mind up about selling

Associate
C.mark> I really like the thunderbolt display but I was really hoping Apple with update it to bring it inline with what is available.

I was planning to hook up my rMBP to a tb display but when I went into the Apple store in Cardiff I noticed that it ran very warm and there was a fan noise...

This put me off immediately even though I love the iMac displays and tb displays.

My next choice was the Dell 4k monitor the UP3214K. After I missed the chance of one selling locally brand new and sealed in the box for 'only' £1100 I was still willing to take the plunge until I saw the LG34UC97 and fell in love with that.

I would be happy with either but can't make up my mind. Pls let me know how you get on with hooking up your rMBP with a tb display.

Back
Top Bottom