2013 Haswell Retina MacBook Pro...

Soldato
You don't understand my logic? You're logic makes no sense.

You're comparing a MacBook Air to a Macbook Pro Retina which use different hardware and asking why one doesn't appear to have an issue and another one does which somehow suggests new rMBP have a hardware problem.

Software can be fine on one system and have bugs on another. Do you really not understand that?

Windows is completely irrelevant but it does receive different updates for and from various hardware/software vendors. Intel chips, GFX Cards and various other parts via Windows Update.
It could be a hardware issue though.

Soldato
Yes,

Windows updates differently depending on what machine you have. It's been doing that since at least 8.0, if not 7. Microsoft have basically given consumers access to MS FUP services through WSUS. This is why drivers, flash etc etc now download through windows update.

anyway, onto the freezing issue..

This could well be linked to the Iris drivers on the 13" model. The Iris Pro on the 15" could have a different driver version which does not cause the freezing. That's just one theory, but my guess it's driver related. Then again, there could be a firmware bug on a paticular piece of hardware found in the 13" and not in the 15" model.

Since it doesn't happen on the Air means nothing, different hardware

Associate
Why is it always the 13inch that either has issues or doesn't quite fit into the line up properly, cost issues etc.

It seems to come down to, if you want retina you need the processing power to back it up.

my 15inch went for it's first 'power trial' today - so backpack, work, home again. What can be said then perfect!

I quickly trashed works monitor they had on the desktop as I couldn't stand the poor quality screen , but with the 15inch resolution modes being able to changed easily, you get all the workspace that you need.

Great product!

Now pondering what to do about my old - OLD, its 4 months old, MBA lol and if I need to get insurance for the 15inch RMBP - Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Soldato
well after spending far too much time looking into the various models I have come to the following conclusion

15" model, don't care about portability and size is sooooo much better

Iris Pro is better in most applications over the 750m it would seem. There is only one benchmark where the 750m was better, and that was only 4% better. I will NEVER play games on the Mac which is where the 750m would excel, and I hate using CUDA over software CPU encoding.

Currently have a 128gb ssd, so I very much doubt I'd need a 512gb one (have a 4TB USB3 external and most of my data is in the cloud anyway).

CPU speed bump I couldn't care less about

That leaves me with the base 15" model. Just trying to decide between 8gb and 16gb now. That's the only bit I need to get right before I place my order.

There's many people saying 8GB on mavericks is plenty. Then there are those saying due to the fact it's soldered on and can't be upgraded, go with the 16gb. Really don't want to be running Windows 8 VM on it (else why buy a Mac in the first place) and won't be editing large RAW photos or 4k video.

Still there's this nagging feeling I should just cough up the extra £135 extra just because. It's still £135 at the end of the day and £1,400 (EDU price) for the laptop is still an expensive purchase.

Associate
Just bought the 13" base model from the Apple store. Took me about an hour to decide between the Air or the Pro lol

Went for the base model as it will mainly be used for browsing, emailing and documents. Maybe a little bit of Photoshop but my work PC gets on fine with 4GB and Photoshop so should be OK.

Permabanned
OP
well after spending far too much time looking into the various models I have come to the following conclusion

15" model, don't care about portability and size is sooooo much better

Iris Pro is better in most applications over the 750m it would seem. There is only one benchmark where the 750m was better, and that was only 4% better. I will NEVER play games on the Mac which is where the 750m would excel, and I hate using CUDA over software CPU encoding.

Currently have a 128gb ssd, so I very much doubt I'd need a 512gb one (have a 4TB USB3 external and most of my data is in the cloud anyway).

CPU speed bump I couldn't care less about

That leaves me with the base 15" model. Just trying to decide between 8gb and 16gb now. That's the only bit I need to get right before I place my order.

There's many people saying 8GB on mavericks is plenty. Then there are those saying due to the fact it's soldered on and can't be upgraded, go with the 16gb. Really don't want to be running Windows 8 VM on it (else why buy a Mac in the first place) and won't be editing large RAW photos or 4k video.

Still there's this nagging feeling I should just cough up the extra £135 extra just because. It's still £135 at the end of the day and £1,400 (EDU price) for the laptop is still an expensive purchase.

What swung the 16Gb upgrade for me was that the Iris Pro can use up to 2Gb of your 8Gb!

Soldato
ahhh, yeah of course it's integrated graphics isn't it, so will use system RAM for the graphics memory

surely those who have ordered the 13" model will have the same issues. I know it's not iris pro, but the standard iris will probably steal the same amount

16gb it is :( poor credit card

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Ordered a 15" 2.6GHz, 750M this morning. I'll be doing web work to 3D modelling so needed some sort of grunt. I will maybe attempt the odd game but I don't expect much in that respect. Will be my first Mac personally but I use them in work now and again. Estimated 7th delivery.

Soldato
How would a 13" cope outputting to a 1920x1200 external display? Looking at the scaled resolutions it doesn't look to support that resolution?

Soldato
Absolutely fine. I drive a 27" 2560*1440 monitor from a 2012 MBA. The scaled resolutions are for the rMBP own screen and nothing to do with external monitors.

Scroll down to Graphics in the tech specs:
Dual display and video mirroring: simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560x1600 pixels on up to two external displays, both at millions of colours
Thunderbolt digital video output
Native Mini DisplayPort output
DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)
HDMI video output
Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
Support for 3840x2160 resolution at 30Hz
Support for 4096x2160 resolution at 24Hz

http://www.apple.com/uk/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

Back
Top Bottom