2016 Chilli Growers Thread

Soldato
Here's my current collection grown from seed - chillies, peppers, tomatoes and courgettes

e1WUE5cl.jpg

They go in the conservatory in the day and then back into the lounge at night with temps going down to around zero this week.

Associate
I'm really unimpressed with World of Chillies this year. I placed an order last week Thursday and the site gave me an order confirmation but I received no email. It's been a week now and no sign of any plants, but my card has been charged, and no emails or calls to them are being answered. I've never had an issue with them before but I'm getting a little fed up that I've spent £24 on plants and I have heard nothing about them yet. I think I'll have to go to my local plant nursery this weekend to see if they have any decent chilli plants left. I truly don't know what's going on with World of Chillies though. I've never had issues with them in the past :(

That is odd indeed, as they have sent me an email offering discounts (as they often do; "1/3 Off All Chilli Plug Plants until the end of the Bank Holiday!"). This was yesterday. Do you still have no reply or delivery?

Contact Us
http://www.worldofchillies.com/contact_us_master/contactusmaster.php

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Yesterday I re-potted the plants I got a few weeks ago as they were outgrowing their pots. A lot of flowers on the Thai Demon but no fruits yet. A couple of small fruits on the Padron and a couple on the Red Habanero. Couple of flowers on the Bhut Jolokia and plenty buds on the other two but no flowers yet.

4u4TVr5.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Chilli plants :)

Photo%2Bon%2B11-05-2016%2Bat%2B09.45.jpg

Sorry for crashing the picture but was using the laptop.

I feel a repotting session in my future...

Soldato
I'm a late starter this year, I grew a load of Cayenne peppers a few years ago and turned the living room window into a jungle.

I planted a load of Bhut Jolokia seeds back in March and the first hint of life has finally appeared after 45 days in my airing cupboard, fingers crossed I can make lots of food inedible at the end of the summer!

:D

Soldato
I'm a late starter this year, I grew a load of Cayenne peppers a few years ago and turned the living room window into a jungle.

I planted a load of Bhut Jolokia seeds back in March and the first hint of life has finally appeared after 45 days in my airing cupboard, fingers crossed I can make lots of food inedible at the end of the summer!

:D

With my first Naga I had 3 peppers the first year between three plants! Then 60+ the next year with over wintered plants.

Associate
OP
Room was running out in the house, and with me repotting a lot of the plants into flower buckets a more permanent home was needed. So over the weekend I've built this

iDxz6Mh.jpg

qxQDtvv.jpg

cJMokZs.jpg

They seem to be doing well enough. A few more of the smaller ones need potting on shortly. I've also got buds appearing on the apaches and jalapenos. What do I do with these ones now? Is it time for some chilli focus? Some people seem to suggest cutting the first flowers off or something?

sz6yHCa.jpg

Soldato
I think the idea of cutting the flowers off is to force the plant into growing rather than fruiting.. in the end if it's got to the point of having actual flowers then the idea is wasted as the plant has actually expended the effort!

Personally I'd leave them on and let it get on with it.

Soldato
Cheers. Is this a good time to start liquid fertilizer?

Just don't overdo it - once a week is enough. Chillies themselves don't really like massive amounts of fertiliser.

Just don't use baby bio.. evil stuff.. Chilli focus all the way.

Well had the first flower open, and the others are starting to mature. Will be interesting soon (once the zero degree nights have gone) I'll put the plants outside.

Soldato
:D :D First flower... first chilli by the looks of it! The same plant has 3 open flowers. The Dorset Naga I had previously was far larger for it's first flowering but that could have been down to being grown under grow lights then moved to natural sunlight.

Other plants are doing well :) should have a set of chillies this year then :)

Soldato
:D can conform.. chilli plant is expecting chilli :D Actually I think there's more than one..

The other chillies plants will have really small flowers (the species) and it's the first time I've grown those.. so will be interesting to see how things develop.

I'll get a photo at some point.

Soldato
From what looked like an almost dead stick:

1d72577b-30a1-4cc1-a941-27bdbea4f7a3_zpsbuohqbq8.jpg

My scotch bonnet is now doing very nicely indeed!

20160524_082124_zpso1dg7d4o.jpg

And is covered in buds and flowers as you can see here!! :)

20160524_082138_zpsmth0hvjg.jpg

I've attempted pollination with a small paintbrush, so I'm hoping I'll get at least a few chillies growing soon.

I'm really pleased because I really was thinking that I'd lost this plant but now it's thriving! :)

Soldato
As promised
13230246_10154186356759244_6944275654584248820_n.jpg

The large pepper is the first flower and chilli.. seems this plant is going for it big time.

I have one plant that has a stem fungus ring so I've been drying the plant out with no water.. I'm hoping that the plant will naturally strengthen the stem as it grows.. but we'll have to see.

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Ive been pruning my chilli plants heavily, i topped them all at around 8-9 inches high and theyve started to create a huge amount of new branches (i'll take pictures later). I'm also growing 2 of the 10 outside in a grow box and the other 8 on window sills, to see how they fare.

Associate
Hello to everyone in here.
I'm attempting to grow some Caroline Reapers and some bhut jalokia chilies this year.
They seem to be fairly small at the moment but im worried about one pot (work chilli in the images below) as it doesn't seem to be growing at all.
I water a tiny amount every day until it stops "sucking" the water when you put it on the soil. And I feed them once a week by spraying the leaves with a fine mist of seaweed feed and also substituting the water feed for seaweed feed once a week.

Downstairs chilli
20160524_175402_1.jpg

Upstairs chilli
20160524_183528_1.jpg

Work chilli
20160526_143301_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom