2017 car launches

Soldato
OP
Red is the new orange? Sort of a halfway house for me. At least we're starting to get a more colourful grid and it is easier to distinguish the cars. I really hope (as I do at the start of every season!) that this can compete.

Soldato
The orange looks a bit dull on the video. The pictures on their Twitter make it look a lot brighter. Still doesnt do anything for me though.. Hopefully its competetive as thats all that really matters.

Soldato
02EC499D-8ADB-4468-947B-4112433294B7_zpstbpbgwuc.jpeg

Caporegime
How do Mclaren keep picking awful shades of colours to add, last couple of years, the weird orange/red bits, now just now an orange that manages to look bland and washed out rather than pop and used WAY too much of it, looks bad.

As for the car, last couple of years people were banging on about size zero and how small it was at the back as if that was simply the be all and end all of aero performance. Yet now Mclaren seem to have added the undercut that Merc have, that flair at the back around the exhaust while less underneath. ALmost everyone seems to be copying that style now, several moved towards it last year a little, this year everyone has it except maybe Ferrari. The colour around that part being black with red above and the shadows, Ferrari's looks less significant but that really could just be the pictures I've seen.

The only team that doesn't seem to be moving that way is Williams, who seem to have stuck with ultra slim in the area, though Merc sticking with it and other teams following suggests to me it's significantly better.

The other immediate thing that springs to mind is airbox. Merc went big last year, this year's engine is said to have taken another huge step and requires more air again, we see other cars with bigger airboxes, including strangely the Sauber which afaik uses the Ferrari 2016 engine right? So part of my brain is saying, if Mclaren went with a similar design to Merc, why the small airbox, why doesn't their design need a lot more cooling and air, why is it closer to the 2014/2015 Merc airbox. Renault with big improvements last year and another step this year have gone with a bigger airbox also. Ferrari's is still pretty small. To me at least it makes me wonder how much power they've gained if the cooling requirements haven't gone up significantly.

Most immediately interesting part of the Mclaren is the nose and the slots at the end of it where it joins the wing.

Soldato
Mclaren: The fans have been asking for Orange and white for the last few years now we're back with Honda,
Sprayer: Say no more fam,
Mclaren: You asked for orange here you go. It's got orange but not the orange you all wanted.

Caporegime
The other immediate thing that springs to mind is airbox. Merc went big last year, this year's engine is said to have taken another huge step and requires more air again, we see other cars with bigger airboxes, including strangely the Sauber which afaik uses the Ferrari 2016 engine right? So part of my brain is saying, if Mclaren went with a similar design to Merc, why the small airbox, why doesn't their design need a lot more cooling and air, why is it closer to the 2014/2015 Merc airbox. Renault with big improvements last year and another step this year have gone with a bigger airbox also. Ferrari's is still pretty small. To me at least it makes me wonder how much power they've gained if the cooling requirements haven't gone up significantly.

Most immediately interesting part of the Mclaren is the nose and the slots at the end of it where it joins the wing.

To me, although I haven't yet seen a decent hi-res image, it looks like there's also an intake below the main one?

Back
Top Bottom