2018 Chilli Growing thread

Soldato
Well it's been a week and mine are 3 times the size now. But concerned I have more than i need in this pot. What shall I do now?

1zlylgp.jpg

Caporegime
Just been researching that. Seems like awesome stuff. So many uses not just for this application. Quite pricey tho!

was a few quid from bulk powders. i also ingested some mixed with water and so did the wife. we both had to visit the loo within 30 minutes so it clearly did something. luckily we have several bathrooms in the house. so don't try that if you only have 1.

Soldato
Well it's been a week and mine are 3 times the size now. But concerned I have more than i need in this pot. What shall I do now?

Carefully lift them out with a fork or something and pot into individual pots. Ideally before the roots get too long and start tangling up. When you pot them up you can bring the soil level up to the first leaves and the stem will grow roots. This also helps support the stem as they're a little bit leggy.

Caporegime
I find it can often happen at the start, especially with the hotter strains for some reason

The issue is probably lack of pollen in order to be able to pollinate the flowers

i have quite a few flowers now on my jalapeno plants. i gave them a shake and i could see tons of pollen fall out of them. the flowers are all facing downwards.

not seen a single chilli yet but they only flowered last week.

mine are all indoors. worth putting them out in the garden for a day? i read somewhere they self pollinate. chilli's are special that way.

The flowers do face downwards on the majority of chilis.

Yes outside is an easy way to get them pollinated.
Or just used a cotton bud if you want to go diy.
If you keep windows open they will probably get done anyway as a bee or 2 will wander in and out again.

Edit, as far as self pollinating, Chilies I believe are all able to be pollinated by the same plant, unlike some things which require a completely different plant to pollinate.
I don't believe Chilis will pollinate without something to physically move the pollen around.

Caporegime
The flowers do face downwards on the majority of chilis.

Yes outside is an easy way to get them pollinated.
Or just used a cotton bud if you want to go diy.
If you keep windows open they will probably get done anyway as a bee or 2 will wander in and out again.

Edit, as far as self pollinating, Chilies I believe are all able to be pollinated by the same plant, unlike some things which require a completely different plant to pollinate.
I don't believe Chilis will pollinate without something to physically move the pollen around.

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/g...r-my-chilli-plant-now-what-do-i-do_66442.html

some say all you need to do is flick the stem. others say do nothing at all. others say use a small artists brush or cotton bud.

well all I can say is that having grown them for years its obvious that the pollen needs to get from a to b. Lots of things will do this, a bee, a cottonbud/paintbrush, luck

Some produce a massive amount of pollen so gravity may even do it if your lucky, others are very low on pollen, typically i found the hotter varieties

Years ago I got some seeds from KickK and grew them, inside in a room that I couldnt easily get to open the window they produced little pollen and i couldnt manage to self pollinate
I moved them outside in the end and within a week they had been pollinated and chilies started to form, I moved them back in (as I wanted them as inside plants) and again i couldnt get them to pollinate, but all the chilies that had formed did grow.
I say all as they didn't really get that many, about 10 in total.

By far the best method of pollination is to leave it to the experts (the bees) they will find a way to pollinate inside if you have windows that open unless you are very unlucky.

Current weather though I would put them outside and bring them in for the nights unless your expecting bad weather. If they are capable of being pollinated, being outside it will happen :)

Associate
You can get some sticky yellow pads that stick into the soil - the gnats then land on that and stick. Problem solved.
Also had a couple of my plants get infested with fungus gnats.
Research online suggested overwatering was rootcause that enabled the conditions for the fungus that they feed on to grow.
I treated with a dusting of ground cinnamon on the soil (a natural fungicide) and cut back on the watering on the affected plants - they're both fungus gnat free now.

Caporegime
well all I can say is that having grown them for years its obvious that the pollen needs to get from a to b. Lots of things will do this, a bee, a cottonbud/paintbrush, luck

Some produce a massive amount of pollen so gravity may even do it if your lucky, others are very low on pollen, typically i found the hotter varieties

Years ago I got some seeds from KickK and grew them, inside in a room that I couldnt easily get to open the window they produced little pollen and i couldnt manage to self pollinate
I moved them outside in the end and within a week they had been pollinated and chilies started to form, I moved them back in (as I wanted them as inside plants) and again i couldnt get them to pollinate, but all the chilies that had formed did grow.
I say all as they didn't really get that many, about 10 in total.

By far the best method of pollination is to leave it to the experts (the bees) they will find a way to pollinate inside if you have windows that open unless you are very unlucky.

Current weather though I would put them outside and bring them in for the nights unless your expecting bad weather. If they are capable of being pollinated, being outside it will happen :)

yeah i'll stick them outside tomorrow morning and bring them back in after work. being outside for 8 hours once a week be enough? or should i do it twice a week?

Soldato
Thought I had been over watering so did not water for 2 days... Came home today to this(my smallest plant):

The bigger ones are better but still looking unwell.

Hoping that a good watering will pick them back up again.

Soldato
I've got loads of basket of fires and kitchen peppers growing, but my habaneros and reapers are yet to fruit. There are plenty of flowers on them and I know the habs fruited a bit later last year so I'm not too worried yet! I've had them outside for the last week in the sun in the hope that it will speed up pollination.

Caporegime
is it okay to have more than 1 plant in a pot? as in a very large pot? i think it was the way my kit was designed. 4 seeds in a bit of paper. then put into some compost which had a net around it. so they grey into each other.

of the 4 jalapeno seeds only 3 took to life and 1 is a runt.

of the 4 habanero only 2 did.

i then just moved them together as they were all joined up and they all seem to be doing rather well. grown leaps and bounds. however i'm now thinking they are now vying for each others light. it may restrict them some what. so i rotate the pots daily. so all of them get an equal amount of light.

Back
Top Bottom