2018 Chilli Growing thread

Soldato
Does anyone know what this is? The plant was a gift, and it grew this single fairly large pepper. I was thinking it would be a sweet one, but it burnt my lips! I'd love to know what it is :D

redpepper.jpg

As far as bigger but similar to jalapeno, could be hungarian hot wax.

Your pepper looks a little odd shaped, almost deformed :p

Talking of deformed, seems I have created a hybrid

Some of (3) my cayennes have peppers that dont look like Cayenne. They are broadly cayenne shaped, but also have wrinkly skins were as my cayenne are smooth skinned, or should have been!
Also instead of going from green to red, they are going green to yellow

So my suspicion is I have somehow crossed cayenne with some habanero I was growing last year that flowered but were too late to fruit properly

I wonder how hot they are... I guess there is only one way to test easily!

Associate
My entry of 3 Ring of Fire chillies won 3rd prize in our village produce show at the weekend :D

Congrats! :cool: Get some pics up if you can...

My Aji Limon have finally started maturing and they looks just beautiful - and the taste is great - I've not had anything like them before and work really nicely in a stir-fry.

The hungarian hot wax are still going well and have a couple of jars of them pickled now - really enjoying them - nice flavour and just the right level of heat for spicing up a lot of dishes.

The padron are pretty much all done now, not surprising really as they had really strong growth early in the season and fruited first - had quite a few servings of them just quickly fried with a sprinkle of salt.

Pepperoncini I had really high hopes for but they have no noticeable heat, they're really prolific with hundreds of decent sized fruit but not really what I was after for my stock of pickles :(

Caporegime
what are the symptoms of too much fertiliser?

i'm going to water then neglect for a week and hope they perk up a bit. my chillies aren't looking too great like wrinkly and small.

Too much fertiliser is normally too high a ratio of foliage to chilies

All wrinkly and small could actually be lack of water, they do contain about 90% water so if they are struggling for enough they will end up under formed and potentially will start to dry out.
Normally with lack of water you get less crop, but if it was really extreme then they will start to dry out naturally. Are they going soft as well?

Caporegime
Too much fertiliser is normally too high a ratio of foliage to chilies

All wrinkly and small could actually be lack of water, they do contain about 90% water so if they are struggling for enough they will end up under formed and potentially will start to dry out.
Normally with lack of water you get less crop, but if it was really extreme then they will start to dry out naturally. Are they going soft as well?

the funny thing is my soil meter is measuring the soil as being moist not dry.

the chillies are small due to them being early in their growth cycle. the ones that are slightly bigger of the newer ones anyway. they look wrinkly at the bottom half.

i gave them a glass of water today - zero fertiliser. so i'm going to leave them now for 3-4 days and see what happens. the glass i gave them today put the soil into the wet marker. but it should hopefully dry up a bit with the sun/heat today.

i didn't feel them but how firm should they be when growing? i didn't want to damage them by squeezing them either when i was killing some aphids 2 weeks ago.

i managed to get rid of all the aphids. used some rose clear. that was 2 weeks ago though.

Oh aphids, they drain the goodness so its possible the chilis at that time were affected

Growing chilies, right upto maturity are quite hard, they only really soften up when ripe, even the thin skinned like scotch bonnet are surprisingly tough

Do the plants look ok generally? What I find happens is that at the end of the growing season they plants will suddenly shut down, i think what they try to do at that point is starve the leaves and chillies. At this point the plant can even start to rot.
The leaves become quite obvious, curling even when soil is wet, the chilies need to be picked at this point, the chilies do fail to mature slowly and they do seem to go backwards quickly. I think the point is they mature and "go bad" quickly so will fall off to get to ground level to function as seeds for next year. They ripen really quickly once removed and at ground level.

Soldato
If you used poison/chemicals I wouldnt eat the fruit.... Roseclear is systemic, so it will have got into the fibres of the growing fruit. compost them, not worth the risk eating imo.

Back
Top Bottom