Soldato
My plans

- Keep driving the 9-3 Aero. Just had a fresh MOT with no advisories, so nothing pressing. Trips include heading to Eindhoven at Easter and Isle of Skye in the autumn.
- Possibly remap above car - although I’m a little concerned with the condition of the clutch if I decide to do so, so may hold off.
- Attend OcUK karting.

Soldato
Tried to go drive one but was not where the website (Mercedes) said it was. Have one coming to my house next week now after a call and a really helpful salespeson. Need to revisit these.

Saw one leaving Silverstone (pistonheads day). Very german muscle car sound but a massive car. I couldn't imagine driving round in it, parking it etc.

I sat in a AMG GT-R at a merc dealer and it felt incredibly wide and the bonnet really stretches out in front.

OcUK Staff
OP
Saw one leaving Silverstone (pistonheads day). Very german muscle car sound but a massive car. I couldn't imagine driving round in it, parking it etc.

I sat in a AMG GT-R at a merc dealer and it felt incredibly wide and the bonnet really stretches out in front.

I’d love to like the AMG GTR as the looks, noise and performance are pretty incredible, plus they are now affordable as have shed a lot of money in past six months.

I should probably revisit but I was not impressed with the GTS I drove just felt too big and hard to place on the road.

The GTR is also quite a bit firmer so in wet conditions it is quite useless on a British road, awesome car to look at but severely compromised on wet UK roads but such an occasion, but yes they are and do feel very wide. The SVR is a vastly better road car but not quite the track weapon an AMG GTR is.

OcUK Staff
OP
Think I’ve decided, buy an F Type. With a v8. And not a silly convertible and tiny boot.

You won’t regret, the AWD ones are very quick and if your not too fussed over warranty then a tune and lower pulley with some exhaust mods will see you around 650HP, but to be honest they are plenty fast enough in stock trim, get one and bring it Santa Pod. :)

Associate
I shall continue enjoying the comfort of my 2017 67-plate 520d M Sport and not miss one bit the bone shaking ride of my previous 440i Convertible on those 19” rims, the 520d had the M Sport suspension deleted at the factory, the standard 18” rims on adaptive dampers are so much more forgiving with a fused lumber spine! Probably not in the spirit of the thread but my petrol head days are over after some lovely cars over the last 15 years along with some eye watering amounts of depreciation. Also need to save more as my lad could be heading to Uni in a couple of years! Could be tempted if Audi make a follow up to the original SQ5 as they were beasts.

Commissario
You won’t regret, the AWD ones are very quick and if your not too fussed over warranty then a tune and lower pulley with some exhaust mods will see you around 650HP, but to be honest they are plenty fast enough in stock trim, get one and bring it Santa Pod. :)
No modding!!!

OcUK Staff
OP
No modding!!!

Wise choice.
I was up for modding mine but the real world benefits seemed to result it not such huge gains.

My car is making close to 620HP stock so it’s a healthy 50HP up over stock values and the tuned guys are running 640-660HP on their R’s and running 10.9-11.2 quarter miles at around 125mph so as I’ve done 11.1@126mph it seems pointless to A drop 3-5k on tuning for minimal gains but worse B to de-value the car by 5-10k in the process of doing so.

It’s the kind of car a buyer expects to see a warranty on due to the outlay of 70-80k for purchasing one without a warranty I’d have to price at bottom of market come selling time which right now would be 60-65k to move it whereas right now I could sell it for 70-75k as it is. So it’s reallt held it’s money very well!

So for me tuning would have given minimal gains and cost me in region of 15k.

It’s better to save the money and spend on other stuff like holidays and just pay the car off early.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not at all, I am a fan of many brands. I spent a very happy week in an Audi last year and was surprised at how much I liked it.

JLR simply isn't one of them :p

Caporegime
Having successfully moved and bought a proper house just before Christmas, next on the agenda is an Audi TTS at some point later this year or the next.

Back
Top Bottom