• Watford – Xisco Munez

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • West Ham United – David Moyes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wolverhampton Wanderers – Bruno Lage

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters
Soldato
Would be an awful idea. Imagine if you had a player who was awful, no one wanted to play with him but you had to play him every game of the season. Thats essentially what you are suggesting with the manager being unable to be replaced. There is huge money at stake and the manager is arguably the most important person on the front line for the club.

Its not fair though is it. Teams go through good and bad patches of form. Would you complain if you played Chelsea early in the season when they were flying high, didn't play them during this downturn for them but then had to play them again near the end of the season if their form returns?

Forcing a club to stick with a manager that has lost the dressing room or appoint a temporary interim from within the club would have almost 0 benefits and so many issues.

I don't reckon it's that bad, just like players the manager could be side-lined if he was causing a rift - the club then would have to rely on it's coaches for interim management?

It would just put more importance on understanding the managers/coaches you hire and ensuring they are a good fit with the club and squad.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I don't reckon it's that bad, just like players the manager could be side-lined if he was causing a rift - the club then would have to rely on it's coaches for interim management?

It would just put more importance on understanding the managers/coaches you hire and ensuring they are a good fit with the club and squad.

The implication there is that clubs are hiring managers who they don't think are a good fit with the club and squad which seems strange. No one hires a manager with the intention of firing them mid-season. Not allowing teams to hire and fire managers mid season would be an almost guarantee that a lot more clubs would be relegated simply for being unlucky with their manager.

I would love to know the number of teams that have been in the relegation zone, sacked their manager and avoided relegation at the end of the season. I wouldn't be surprised that its a massive percentage.

Soldato
Would be an awful idea. Imagine if you had a player who was awful, no one wanted to play with him but you had to play him every game of the season. Thats essentially what you are suggesting with the manager being unable to be replaced. There is huge money at stake and the manager is arguably the most important person on the front line for the club.

Its not fair though is it. Teams go through good and bad patches of form. Would you complain if you played Chelsea early in the season when they were flying high, didn't play them during this downturn for them but then had to play them again near the end of the season if their form returns?

Forcing a club to stick with a manager that has lost the dressing room or appoint a temporary interim from within the club would have almost 0 benefits and so many issues.

On the other hand imagine if those grumpy players knew they couldn't go and force the manager to get sacked in a few weeks but instead had to play the season, or face being put out to pasture, and if the team don't perform knowing they're all dropping a league at the end I think it could lessen some of the nonsense we see in certain teams

Caporegime
I would love to know the number of teams that have been in the relegation zone, sacked their manager and avoided relegation at the end of the season. I wouldn't be surprised that its a massive percentage.

How much of that is just regression to the mean, though? Managers are usually sacked at their lowest points, after all.

Man of Honour
I think it's a valid question - if a team is in the relegation zone, then all else being equal (performance relative to other teams), they should remain in the relegation zone. In other words they don't reset to equal points with other teams, if they sacked their manager and every game left that season was a 0-0 draw, they still get relegated (assuming no games in hand).

I suppose there might be an element of managers being more likely to get sacked if they are underperforming, i.e. they 'on paper' have a decent squad and hence the fact the manager got sacked implies they are punching below their weight, and should rise up.

You could also have a scenario where 4 managers get sacked whilst in the relegation zone. e.g. Bruce, Farke, Ranieri have all been sacked, imagine Dyche were to get the boot. Obviously Newcastle, Norwich, Watford and Burnley can't all get relegated.

Conversely you need to look at managers getting sacked and dropping down the league. Watford being an example, sacked manager in 14th place, now in 19th place.

Soldato
I think Watford would still have dropped down the ladder with or without the Ranieiri change. I hope he got paid well to make it worth his while as I wouldn't have touched the job with a bargepole

Associate
I think Watford would still have dropped down the ladder with or without the Ranieiri change. I hope he got paid well to make it worth his while as I wouldn't have touched the job with a bargepole
that is the watford philosophy - playing the new manager bounce. Unfortunately its not working this season.

Anyone who comes as a manager for Watford knows the game by now. Its a short-term job.

Soldato
Doing really badly, gone through managers like it’s going out of fashion, 50+ signings since the new owner, near the drop zone… who will save the day, who will guarantee they’ll survive… Lampard. Yes, Lampard. Absolutely bonkers.

Caporegime
Yea i dont get that appointment either...

You would think Frank Lampard is the intelligent one and not Wayne Rooney but Rooney flat out rejected the job and has chosen to stay at Derby to cut his cloth which I think is the right decision in the long run. This will finish Frank Lampard's career as manager if he takes the Everton Job.

Associate
Same, I'm baffled by the stupidity of the owner and board.

We're 100% in a relegation fight.

they've just followed what the vocal fans want with this appointment, terrible decision mind you.

Exactly this, this ones is definitely on them. You know the same fans who didn't want dour old moyes back again. How's that working out for a team in a similar situation as Everton? You know pretending anyone can remember when they had a footballing 'way' and how everything is not the Everton way or Westham way. Moyes was perfect for Evertons limited budget and getting in cheap players. Instead they threw millions at the wall for nothing.

Imagine Liverpool winning the league and Everton going down. It's on. I don't know who Everton fans wanted if they are not happy with Lampard, no money to spend and a poor squad to work with. Richarlison and DCL out the door asap. You need another Moyes type appointment from the Championship or lower. All mid table clubs should look at Everton as a warning to why mid tier investment is just wasted money. Pretending that sort of investment even wisely spent is top four ambitions was deluding themselves. They could have saved £500m and still been in the same place or likely better with a team spirit.

Caporegime
Exactly this, this ones is definitely on them. You know the same fans who didn't want dour old moyes back again. How's that working out for a team in a similar situation as Everton? You know pretending anyone can remember when they had a footballing 'way' and how everything is not the Everton way or Westham way. Moyes was perfect for Evertons limited budget and getting in cheap players. Instead they threw millions at the wall for nothing.

Imagine Liverpool winning the league and Everton going down. It's on. I don't know who Everton fans wanted if they are not happy with Lampard, no money to spend and a poor squad to work with. Richarlison and DCL out the door asap. You need another Moyes type appointment from the Championship or lower. All mid table clubs should look at Everton as a warning to why mid tier investment is just wasted money. Pretending that sort of investment even wisely spent is top four ambitions was deluding themselves. They could have saved £500m and still been in the same place or likely better with a team spirit.

You need to invest in the youth really. Barca and United shown how good a decent academy is and both have suffered for ignoring it in recent years and splashing silly cash.

You are starting to see the fruits of Chelsea's investment in youth and in the next decade you will see the same with City.

Long gone are the days of having super stars in your team. You need maybe one top tier player then the rest need to be work horses.

Man of Honour
You would think Frank Lampard is the intelligent one and not Wayne Rooney but Rooney flat out rejected the job and has chosen to stay at Derby to cut his cloth which I think is the right decision in the long run. This will finish Frank Lampard's career as manager if he takes the Everton Job.
To be fair in Lampard's position I think it makes sense, he's not done enough to land a genuinely top job yet (which don't come up that frequently anyway, and he's had his chance in the obvious one at Chelsea) so a mid-table sort of team (which Everton historically are) is the best he can hope for. Everton for all their detractors are in a better position squad wise than several at the bottom of the league (plus have games in hand on most), and expectations seem to be "we're in a relegation fight" so finishing say 15th will be viewed as fine this season. That's a luxury he wouldn't normally get, if he somehow got a job at Arsenal/Spurs/Leicester etc then expectations would be massively higher. And equally he's not rocked up at Watford, Norwich, Burnley etc and be staring down the barrel of a gun with no ammunition to shoot back with.

Back
Top Bottom