2022 QD-OLED thread

Soldato
In his G2 review, Vincent tested the G2's image retention against the Samsung S95B

I was surprised that actually the LG is significantly superior at preventing image retention than the QD-OLED

Caporegime
You or someone you know works at Sony don't they :p
It would appear I was sold a dream, the discounts aren't quite what I had hoped for.

The options for a bedroom OLED are a new KE48A9BU for £981 (£1,174 in other places at the mo), or a refurbished one (12 month warranty) for £647.

But then the LG OLED48A16LA can be had for £600 at RicherSounds with a 6 year warranty.

Would the Sony really be that much better for what is essentially going to be evening viewing in a dark bedroom from time to time?

Soldato
It would appear I was sold a dream, the discounts aren't quite what I had hoped for.

The options for a bedroom OLED are a new KE48A9BU for £981 (£1,174 in other places at the mo), or a refurbished one (12 month warranty) for £647.

But then the LG OLED48A16LA can be had for £600 at RicherSounds with a 6 year warranty.

Would the Sony really be that much better for what is essentially going to be evening viewing in a dark bedroom from time to time?
Oh yeah I think you only get 1 year warranty as well and the options aren't so large, it depends what they have in their internal system store.

I tried to get a mate of mine to buy me a 65 inch A90J last year but they didn't have any on there!

I doubt the Sony would be worth the difference. LG OLEDs tend to have a great UI too with all the apps and you can just whack every picture mode into filmmaker as you're in the dark. The 48A9BU is quite an old tv too, a few years old.

Caporegime
Oh yeah I think you only get 1 year warranty as well and the options aren't so large, it depends what they have in their internal system store.

I tried to get a mate of mine to buy me a 65 inch A90J last year but they didn't have any on there!

I doubt the Sony would be worth the difference. LG OLEDs tend to have a great UI too with all the apps and you can just whack every picture mode into filmmaker as you're in the dark. The 48A9BU is quite an old tv too, a few years old.
83" A90J is £3,990
65" A95K is £2,450
65" A90J is £2,310

Refurb 65" AG9 is £1,150

Soldato
I was going to go for the Sony, but now it's confirmed to only have 2x HDMI 2.1 ports and one of those is used for the eARC I'm starting to sway towards the Samsung.
Don't like Samsung though, as they lie to consumers to get sales and don't follow through with their promises (they promise features will come in future firmware but they never do) :(

Soldato
I was going to go for the Sony, but now it's confirmed to only have 2x HDMI 2.1 ports and one of those is used for the eARC I'm starting to sway towards the Samsung.
Don't like Samsung though, as they lie to consumers to get sales and don't follow through with their promises (they promise features will come in future firmware but they never do) :(
Do you need more, if you have a modern amp should be less of an issue.

Caporegime

Sony have been using an outdated Mediatek SOC for awhile.

Next year it will change.

Soldato
Do you need more, if you have a modern amp should be less of an issue.
Earc has been added to my Q90R tv, as promised but a litte late of course, but then I had access to a pre-release beta version anyway. Samung have also released another firmware, 1211.2, for the S95B which goes along way in resolving some of the initial issues...

Soldato

Looks like its better after recent firmware update, but the PQ EOTF is still pretty broken for playing games - not that Samsung TVs have had accurate image quality for games over the last few years anyway, so nothing new there.

Can't wait to see his review on the Sony, the Whathifi review on the Sony paints a good picture - more neutral tones and colors, non ridiculous brightness (Sony QD-OLED on par or slightly less brightness than G2 and way less brightness than Samsung) and correct EOTF

Back
Top Bottom