2024 OLED bonanza take your pick from dozens of new monitors

Soldato
Indeed, at earliest.

Problem is want one monitor that does everything. The larger OLED fine for gaming at the lower PPI but text when doing report writing at work or modelling a structure is painful. The low Hz for work is fine but for gaming is noticeable.

So there nothing that just hits those things at once still and you compromise on both.
I’m on the same boat.

there’s no one monitor for all use cases for me yet.

I want a ultrawide oled with high dpi with power delivery and with a hub in etc with high speed Ethernet etc.

Soldato
Same here. There's no one monitor I can use for both work and play, so I've just decided to work less ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I wish I could work less, I need to work more unfortunately but young children and trying to move house so all the work and pay right now. Gaming is very much secondary but when I do I want it to be best can.
I’m on the same boat.

there’s no one monitor for all use cases for me yet.

I want a ultrawide oled with high dpi with power delivery and with a hub in etc with high speed Ethernet etc.
Aye, I haven't worried about power/ethernet hubs or anything. Two/Three USB ports works well though for adding peripheral dongles too. If there was a wireless hub like the LG M series TVs that would be awesome though where can just connect all into that and be done wireless. Not sure that any time soon though.

Soldato
Do they have a solution to burn in then? i.e. Windows Taskbar and/or significant time spent in the same app for 9 hours+ a day if you use it for work? All the rich youtubers like Linus that bought OLEDs for daily use have faced burn in issues from what I recall. This was using actual OLED TVs as monitors though from a year or two ago.

Soldato
Do they have a solution to burn in then? i.e. Windows Taskbar and/or significant time spent in the same app for 9 hours+ a day if you use it for work? All the rich youtubers like Linus that bought OLEDs for daily use have faced burn in issues from what I recall. This was using actual OLED TVs as monitors though from a year or two ago.

Isn't micro-led the next big thing?

My understanding is it's brighter than OLED and doesn't suffer from burn-in.

Soldato
Well yes, but that's why I brought it up. I'm intrigued as to why suddenly "dozens" of OLED monitors are about to drop and people seem to have forgotten burn is a thing, hence why I asked what they've done to combat it. A monitor for computer/OS use is one of the worst case scenarios for burn in.

Soldato
People haven't forgotton, its always going to be there but the later panels are likely to be resistant to burn in and also have extra features to help mitigate it. Dunno who model it was, maybe MSI, maybe all the latest OLED do it, but the screen can detact on creen items such as the taskbar and dim it for example.

Still always a good idea to go for a manufacturer to offers burn in protection. Hopefully now theres more competition more will follow Dell and offer the same three year warranty.

Associate
There's also common sense that needs to be applied when using an OLED. Don't run at max brightness, don't use Windows light mode and have full screen static elements on display for 20 hours a day and by and large you'll likely be fine.

I definitely agree with @SpudMaster about going for a manufacturer that offers a good warranty for burn-in protection. It's why the Alienware monitors appeal to me so much, Dell's warranty and service have always been brilliant.

Associate
This is my problem, I would just go all out on a decent gaming monitor but I don't want multiple monitors and need to be able work from the same setup. I've also been thinking about just sorting out another desk for my gaming setup and just stop trying to find that unicorn monitor that doesn't exist!
We relocated and moved house and my job became fully remote (rather than the option of a few days in the office a week) - so it sort of forced my hand a bit with having multiple desks and wanting to really create a separation between work and gaming.

If you've got the space it's definitely worth doing! I have 2 desks in the same room - and use the same office chair to go between them. I have pretty identical equipment between both so it's not like I've got to get used to a different mouse, keyboard or audio set up each time.

It also really helps me 'switch off' from work - being able to close my work laptop and switch that entire 'station' off at the mains. I struggled with that previously where I felt like even when I was playing a few games in the evening I'd have a tendency to quickly check a few work items.

I'm going to see what the reviews are like for a few of these second/third generation OLED monitors and then likely invest in Spring/Summer of this year. My gut is saying to go for a 1440p 360hz monitor - but it would be nice to try one of the 4k 32" panels...

Man of Honour
Well yes, but that's why I brought it up. I'm intrigued as to why suddenly "dozens" of OLED monitors are about to drop and people seem to have forgotten burn is a thing, hence why I asked what they've done to combat it. A monitor for computer/OS use is one of the worst case scenarios for burn in.
but you'll notice that none of these manufacturers are aiming them at office/general/static use. They're all gaming screens, focused on providing high refresh rates and OLED benefits for dynamic content and gaming. In those use cases the risks of image retention are very low, and each manufacturer (and the panel manufacturers LG.Display and Samsung Display) are all providing a wide range of updated and improved mitigation measures too. The focus from the panel vendors is also heavily on durability, lifespan and OLED care, so there are definitely improvements being made with each generation and each new screen released.

Associate
I've had my QD oled since launch, the aw3423dw. No hint of burn in and I have it on for 10 hours + a day work and games. I've not gone to lengths to avoid burn in. but I just do the panel maintenance every other day.

Associate
I've had my QD oled since launch, the aw3423dw. No hint of burn in and I have it on for 10 hours + a day work and games. I've not gone to lengths to avoid burn in. but I just do the panel maintenance every other day.
What's the panel maintenance about/how does it work Curtis?

Back
Top Bottom