2024 Summer F1 Break thread!

Yeah, and I’m not interested in winning the lottery. :o :D

McLaren seem to be working well right now, is forking out for Newey really worth the disruption? Especially as it seems very clear that Newey is only going to come on board if everything is provided according to his exact desires? They'd not just be taking on Newey, they'd also be displacing a sizeable chunk of their own talent, talent they've been developing for years and who have a depth of knowledge of their car and company.

I doesn't seem unreasonable to me to look at that and think "nah".

I think it depends whether they’ve caught up with Red Bull performance wise or Red Bull have taken a wrong turn and dropped performance. And hence dropping back to McLaren.

You’re right though, I’m guessing he’d probably not just walk in to the office with his pencil and pad and ask where he’s sitting. :D

While we are still in the summer break and just for a bit of fun:

Which F1 driver that hasn't won the world drivers championship, would you have liked them to of won from the last 30 years?

My choice would be Rubens Barrichello

Robert Kubica has to be up there. He deserved to really and a shame he didn’t.

Sadly he had the opportunity in 2008. Car was very good. But BMW decided to keep some updates that they had tested for the following year instead of challenging that year. Sadly the 2009 car wasn't good.

Interesting stuff about a rules clarification banning them from using a trick asymmetric braking system. It isn't clear who has been doing this, but Peter Windsor pinned it on Red Bull, and the timing of that would match with the other teams catching Red Bull. Other teams suggested to have been using it are McLaren and Mercedes.

Last edited:
Surprised how under the radar that story has gone given it’s about 5 day old news now.
And the rest - I posted it here:

This is odd. Earlier I was reading the story of mclarens second brake pedal bake back in the day. I’m surprised that this wasn’t already in the rule book?! (I’m not up on how they work/are they created fresh every regulation change?)

If I remember correctly, that wasn’t banned the season it was found but the following season instead. Ferrari kicked up a fuss when McLaren were miles ahead. (They were still miles ahead without it.. lol)

Last edited:
I thought the next GP was at the weekend just gone, was really disappointed when I realised it wasn't. :D

Still, not long now until the racing starts again.

This is odd. Earlier I was reading the story of mclarens second brake pedal bake back in the day. I’m surprised that this wasn’t already in the rule book?! (I’m not up on how they work/are they created fresh every regulation change?)

It was in the rule book, but they tightened up the wording presumably because someone had found a clever way to interpret them. It's gone from:

The brake system must be designed so that within each circuit, the forces applied to the
brake pads are the same magnitude and act as opposing pairs on a given brake disc.​

to:

The brake system must be designed so that within each circuit, the forces applied to the
brake pads are the same magnitude and act as opposing pairs on a given brake disc. Any
system or mechanism which can produce systematically or intentionally, asymmetric braking
torques for a given axle is forbidden.

I guess the inertial systems they're talking about aren't covered by the first if you squint funny. And squinting funny at regulations is what F1 is all about :D

It was in the rule book, but they tightened up the wording presumably because someone had found a clever way to interpret them. It's gone from:

The brake system must be designed so that within each circuit, the forces applied to the​
brake pads are the same magnitude and act as opposing pairs on a given brake disc.​

to:

The brake system must be designed so that within each circuit, the forces applied to the​
brake pads are the same magnitude and act as opposing pairs on a given brake disc. Any
system or mechanism which can produce systematically or intentionally, asymmetric braking
torques for a given axle is forbidden.

I guess the inertial systems they're talking about aren't covered by the first if you squint funny. And squinting funny at regulations is what F1 is all about :D
That makes sense. From what i remember, version 1 only worked on 1 side of the rears so they chose the optimal side for each race weekend. Whereas version 2 could be used on both rear wheels.

Its funny it was only noticed because a photographer wondered why only one corner of the discs were glowing and they wanted to know why.

Back
Top Bottom