2024 Summer F1 Break thread!

Wait.... He totally has a point here, Just be clear...

So you genuinely (not sarcastically), don't think Red Bull have been publicly undermining Perez about his performance and position at RB?
Not in my world he doesn't as a confessed Red Bull hater, totally biased.
As for your question, the only negative comments I've heard has come from Helmut, but this is only via the media. From what I've heard Hemut was summoned to a meeting by Christian and told that Perez was going to be retained.
We all know that Horner wants to get rid of Helmut and for obviously good reasons.

Last edited:
Not in my world he doesn't as a confessed Red Bull hater, totally biased.
As for your question, the only negative comments I've heard has come from Helmut, but this is only via the media. From what I've heard he was summoned to meeting by Christian and told what that Perez was going to be retained.

Interesting, that is very much a "playing the man, not the ball" argument..

Ok, so clearly you are not working with the full information. Here are just some of the examples:

July 19th Hungarian GP FP - Horner
"I think he's been in a bit of a headspin the last few races, but hopefully today were the signs that he's coming out of that - and the team are working very hard with him to support him and make sure that he does re-find his form, because we desperately need it

July 19th Hungarian GP FP2 - Helmet is asked to confirm if Perez has performance clauses in his contract that can be triggered by the summer break
"There are various forums of performance clauses and, ultimately, it doesn't matter what a contract looks like, you just have to perform" "We'll have a look at the two races then we'll sit down together to decide what and how things will continue after the summer break"

Additionally, when asked about who is his fave amongst DR/YT/LL to replace Perez
"That was a nice question, I will give a nice answer; everything is open

July 19th Hungarian GP Post-Qually - Horner
"I think I have shown him that I am very patient. but this was really the last thing he and the team needed. We now have to get everything back together, repair the car and see what we can get out of it during the race"

Additionally when asked about Perez's future:
"Any discussions we have with him will of course tale place internally and not in front of the media. But of course, we can't run on one leg"

July 24th Hungarian GP Post-Race - Helmet
It was a typical GP weekend for Perez; unpredictable. he continues to have this up and down, nobody knows when he will shine or when he will make a mistake, he simply lacks consistently good performance"

July 26th Belgian GP FP - Horner
"Checo's future is in his hands. He has to have a good weekend, because we need his points for the CC and Mclaren has recovered a lot in the last races"

July 26th Belgian GP Pre-Qually - Helmut
"Sergio knows that for the CC we have to have both cars ahead of Mclaren if possible, and that hasn't been the case in the last few races"

Additionally when asked to set a specific goal for Perez, Helmut refuses:
"No, the goal is to win both the DC and CCs, and we'll discuss the best way to achieve that on Monday" (29th)

July 27th Belgian GP Post-Qually - Helmut
"But it is great to see Sergio, who has really improved. He will start on the front row to the relegation and now things are looking much better again"

July 28th Belgian GP Post-Race - Helmut
"Sergio had the opportunity to achieve a good result from second place. Unfortunately that was not the case. Specifically in the last stint, he completely collapsed, driving 1:48 times. What looked so positive in qualifying unfortunately didn't come true in the race

Last edited:
Interesting, that is very much a "playing the man, not the ball" argument..

Ok, so clearly you are not working with the full information. Here are just some of the examples:

July 19th Hungarian GP FP - Horner
"I think he's been in a bit of a headspin the last few races, but hopefully today were the signs that he's coming out of that - and the team are working very hard with him to support him and make sure that he does re-find his form, because we desperately need it

July 19th Hungarian GP FP2 - Helmet is asked to confirm if Perez has performance clauses in his contract that can be triggered by the summer break
"There are various forums of performance clauses and, ultimately, it doesn't matter what a contract looks like, you just have to perform" "We'll have a look at the two races then we'll sit down together to decide what and how things will continue after the summer break"

Additionally, when asked about who is his fave amongst DR/YT/LL to replace Perez
"That was a nice question, I will give a nice answer; everything is open

July 19th Hungarian GP Post-Qually - Horner
"I think I have shown him that I am very patient. but this was really the last thing he and the team needed. We now have to get everything back together, repair the car and see what we can get out of it during the race"

Additionally when asked about Perez's future:
"Any discussions we have with him will of course tale place internally and not in front of the media. But of course, we can't run on one leg"

July 24th Hungarian GP Post-Race - Helmet
It was a typical GP weekend for Perez; unpredictable. he continues to have this up and down, nobody knows when he will shine or when he will make a mistake, he simply lacks consistently good performance"

July 26th Belgian GP FP - Horner
"Checo's future is in his hands. He has to have a good weekend, because we need his points for the CC and Mclaren has recovered a lot in the last races"

July 26th Belgian GP Pre-Qually - Helmut
"Sergio knows that for the CC we have to have both cars ahead of Mclaren if possible, and that hasn't been the case in the last few races"

Additionally when asked to set a specific goal for Perez, Helmut refuses:
"No, the goal is to win both the DC and CCs, and we'll discuss the best way to achieve that on Monday" (29th)

July 27th Belgian GP Post-Qually - Helmut
"But it is great to see Sergio, who has really improved. He will start on the front row to the relegation and now things are looking much better again"

July 28th Belgian GP Post-Race - Helmut
"Sergio had the opportunity to achieve a good result from second place. Unfortunately that was not the case. Specifically in the last stint, he completely collapsed, driving 1:48 times. What looked so positive in qualifying unfortunately didn't come true in the race
I can see where you are coming from, but the last one was stating a fact and I've seen those other statements from Horner. Perhaps we should beg to differ as I don't see anything that is really controversial in this circumstances. It must be equally frustrating to see a driver's performance drop when you have placed so much faith in them and know they are capable of more.
I guess because it is Horner then some will have a different view.

But whether that is undermining Perez is open to interpretation, and we don't know what goes on behind the scenes do we, could be either way I guess. I doubt whether it is a deliberate policy from Red Bull themselves to undermine Perez in any way.

Considering all the baying for Perez's blood in here, somewhat hypocritical to only suggest Red Bull might be guilty of something similar, has been proved wrong some, as I stated, are scrabbling about desperately trying to find a alternative conspiracy. But we can all cherry pick what we like to illustrate a something as well and this also what the media is good at doing.

But getting back to the point I was raising, because we're definitely getting off track, the media, in what ever form it takes, will latch into anything negative using there own warped interpretation and spin it up to make it more interesting and controversial than it actually is, that's what they do otherwise nobody would read them. There isn't much that can be done to avoid it and is up to us to realise the majority of it is fabricated.

Last edited:
In other news, Carlos Sainz proves he's a smart man once again by reportedly having clauses in his Williams contract which will release him should an offer from Mercedes or Red Bull land on his doorstep.

The Spaniard’s next boss will be James Vowles, after the Grove-based Williams team on Monday confirmed raging speculation throughout last weekend at Spa-Francorchamps that he had finally put his signature on a contract.

The team said 29-year-old Sainz’s deal is for 2025, 2026 “and beyond”, but it is widely believed that it contains key clauses allowing him to easily slip away if an offer from Mercedes or Red Bull rolls in.

“The Williams contract was one of the first he had on the table. There have been some modifications since then and interesting exit clauses in case a seat at one of the big teams becomes free,”

Last edited:
In other news, Carlos Sainz proves he's a smart man once again by reportedly having clauses in his Williams contract which will release him should an offer from Mercedes or Red Bull land on his doorstep.

Except that's already been denied by James Vowles...

Who knows what to believe these days :)

The earth is flat and the moon is made from cheese. That's all you need to know for now. But there's other stuff too ;)
I think in this case, its sensible to believe the direct quote from the affected team top brass.... Much like we did with RB!!

Last edited:
I think it would be stupid to think there's no get out clauses in the contract but given the potential for 2026 to shake things up, it would be weird to name specific teams. Though it's probably a reasonably safe assumption that both Merc and RBR will still be ahead of Williams come 2026.

Wait.... He totally has a point here, Just be clear...

So you genuinely (not sarcastically), don't think Red Bull have been publicly undermining Perez about his performance and position at RB?

He's deserved it. Perez has never deserved that seat, and they brought Perez in because they knew he couldnt challenge max. Yeah he's had some good runs where max and his old man have publicly had melt downs over it, but Perez has never been know as Mr consistent. One reason why McLaren got rid of him after just 1 season.

Likewise though Danny ric doesn't deserve the redbull seat in place of Perez either. I do think hes had his time at the top. I also don't think Yuki deserves the seat either

If red bull were serious about having 2 top drivers they would have snapped up sainz. Sainz kept verstappen honest, and it wasn't a blood shed in terms of results in verstappens favour either when they were at torro rosso. And I think it's for this reason that red bull didn't sign him as they fear max and his ******** father will groan to the press and no doubt leak further stories about Horner.

And now to rant about verstappen, I respect him as a racer and admire his speed and quality, the rest of his personality as it comes across, he's just a spoilt and petulant boy still who doesn't have respect for others. His old man is the same though his dad doesn't have the quality and skill set to offset the bad behaviour as max does.

Norris needs to keep his head coming out the summer break. He's not really in the title fight, he needs to continue to race his race and do his best, but by getting sucked into the hype that there is an outside chance he could be in the fight for the title is making him lose his head. Hopefully the break can help him with that.

I have no further thoughts on rest of the drivers

Sainz kept verstappen honest, and it wasn't a blood shed in terms of results in verstappens favour either when they were at torro rosso. And I think it's for this reason that red bull didn't sign him as they fear max and his ******** father will groan to the press and no doubt leak further stories about Horner.

I'm not sure how a 49-18 season in 2015 "wasn't a blood shed"? The following season, Max was ahead 13-4 when he got bumped to Red Bull. No, Sainz wasn't able to hold a candle to Max, nor keep him honest, meanwhile the Sainz and Verstappen camps were at loggerheads. The only driver who did keep Max honest was Dani Ric. Which is, I think, why Horner is keen on getting him back even though he is struggling to rekindle his old spark.

I'm not sure how a 49-18 season in 2015 "wasn't a blood shed"? The following season, Max was ahead 13-4 when he got bumped to Red Bull. No, Sainz wasn't able to hold a candle to Max, nor keep him honest, meanwhile the Sainz and Verstappen camps were at loggerheads. The only driver who did keep Max honest was Dani Ric. Which is, I think, why Horner is keen on getting him back even though he is struggling to rekindle his old spark.

I think it depends on how your looking at the metrics, but actually in terms of lap time they were very close with max not that far ahead. That's what I meant about keeping him honest.

Much the same as with piastri and Norris, Norris has been in front more often but piastri keeps Norris honest and pushes Norris harder.

I think it depends on how your looking at the metrics, but actually in terms of lap time they were very close with max not that far ahead. That's what I meant about keeping him honest.

In terms of Quali, you mean? Yeah, they weren't much apart. Oddly, Sainz actually qualified ahead more often (in comparable sessions) whilst Max was faster on average by a bit under two tenths, and had the better average qualifying position.

In terms of Quali, you mean? Yeah, they weren't much apart. Oddly, Sainz actually qualified ahead more often (in comparable sessions) whilst Max was faster on average by a bit under two tenths, and had the better average qualifying position.

Yeah that's it, sorry I wasn't clear, I wasn't digging at max, but Carlos would have made a better pairing than perez.

Back
Top Bottom