• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2080ti cards failing ?

Associate
No, I'm suggesting that both sides are as bad as each other.
Except you can literally list the things Nvidia has done to remove competition barely legally, and also defraud their customers directly. AMD hasn't acted in a manner that's directly anti-consumer as Nvidia. Well aware they aren't saint's and some of their recent card nomenclature is downright stupid, but literally releasing broken products or deceitful products (GTX 970 anyone...) hell even releasing a driver that bricked cards (something AMD's never managed to do despite years of allegedly bad drivers).

2/3rds of the current GPU on RTX cards is redundant. BFV is the first game to get RT support and even then it's heavily scaled back according to the information. Still hits FPS incredibly hard and as such is of questionable utility. It's strangely like they released a Dev card for the consumer base to fund their Dev process...

Soldato
Except you can literally list the things Nvidia has done to remove competition barely legally, and also defraud their customers directly. AMD hasn't acted in a manner that's directly anti-consumer as Nvidia. Well aware they aren't saint's and some of their recent card nomenclature is downright stupid, but literally releasing broken products or deceitful products (GTX 970 anyone...) hell even releasing a driver that bricked cards (something AMD's never managed to do despite years of allegedly bad drivers).

Completely agree, share the same thoughts. AMD have plenty of faults, but nothing in comparison to Nvidia’s benchmark of BS.

If you’re the type who buys into Nvidias hype, you probably deserve to be taken for a mug.

Last edited:
Soldato

Wow not EVGA again, not surprised EVGA graphics cards are fire hazard that why I am avoided it like plaque after read reports of EVGA 970, 980, 980 Ti, 1060, 1070, 1080, 1080 Ti and now this 2080 Ti all caught fire. Every EVGA graphics cards should have fire hazard warning sticker on it and bundle with free smoke alarm and free fire extinguisher. :o

Soldato
If it didn't "draw collatteral damage", I'd wouldn't mind the laugh... but I don't find it particular funny to spend £1000 just to get a card RMA and wait for days/weeks to either get a refund or find some other replacement.

The 3.5GB GTX 970 was a marketing blunder of dimensions, but the cards weren't defective. What we see now are cards that don't work and are getting returned. That in my book is a much larger "failure" - people getting 0 things for money spent and put in a waiting pattern.

The sad thing is nvidia could have marketed as a 3.5 gig card with 0.5 gig cache or something, and they still would have flew of the shelves as the 970 was very good value anyway.

Soldato
Wow not EVGA again, not surprised EVGA graphics cards are fire hazard that why I am avoided it like plaque after read reports of EVGA 970, 980, 980 Ti, 1060, 1070, 1080, 1080 Ti and now this 2080 Ti all caught fire. Every EVGA graphics cards should have fire hazard warning sticker on it and bundle with free smoke alarm and free fire extinguisher. :o

An Asus FE one went on fire too. Same spot. So it's not an EVGA problem.

Associate
Ha ha, that's great and when you go to RMA or refund your RMA 2080 Ti then they've got the most wonderful customer support so you can do it in a timely and efficient manner. Oh wait, sorry, I was dreaming; actually the opposite is true and you get to fight with a useless lying call centre in India and will be waiting for weeks on end with no communication:mad:.

I RMA'd online. Replies were personal, quick and helpful. I was given an advanced RMA and asked not send the 2080ti Fe back until I had received the replacement (return pre-paid).

Soldato
Gamers Nexus who have been testing faulty 2080ti's sent in to them say they have over ten 2080ti's themselves and all of them work. They say AIB partners have told them they have not seen more than the usual number of RMAs.

Kyle over on HardOCP says that AIB partners wouldn't admit to higher RMA's if they were happening. And second, the problems seem to be mainly FE editions which wouldn't be handled by AIB partners anyway.

And lastly, Nvidia has admitted there is a problem, so that means there must be a higher RMA rate than normal. All that really matters is they continue to handle the returns like they did for you and not like they did for Ltron. And that what they said is actually the truth and it's not an actual problem with the cards themselves just some test escapees that somehow made it out into the wild.

Last edited:
Soldato
The sad thing is nvidia could have marketed as a 3.5 gig card with 0.5 gig cache or something, and they still would have flew of the shelves as the 970 was very good value anyway.

It was not only the VRAM. 970 has 56 ROPs and 1.7MB L2, contrary to advertised 64 ROPs and 2MB L2 cache.
And when the "news" came out, it was summer 2015, while the card was on sale with false advertisement numbers (by Nvidia), since August 2014. A year earlier.

Also in USA every single GTX970 owner got compensation ($30) if bought the card before Summer 2015 when the issue came to the news.
In UK and Europe complete silence as there is no class action lawsuit powers.

As @TrixX said, AMD hasn't gone nowhere near such deceit.

Caporegime
Kyle over on HardOCP says that AIB partners wouldn't admit to higher RMA's if they were happening. And second, the problems seem to be mainly FE editions which wouldn't be handled by AIB partners anyway.

And lastly, Nvidia has admitted there is a problem, so that means there must be a higher RMA rate than normal. All that really matters is they continue to handle the returns like they did for you and not like they did for Ltron. And that what they said is actually the truth and it's not an actual problem with the cards themselves just some testing cards that somehow made it out into the wild.

The nvidia statement was kind of odd, limited test "escapes". Wut? Sounds like an A-Team breaking murdock out of the psych hospital routine was in operation.

Soldato
It was not only the VRAM. 970 has 56 ROPs and 1.7MB L2, contrary to advertised 64 ROPs and 2MB L2 cache.
And when the "news" came out, it was summer 2015, while the card was on sale with false advertisement numbers (by Nvidia), since August 2014. A year earlier.

Also in USA every single GTX970 owner got compensation ($30) if bought the card before Summer 2015 when the issue came to the news.
In UK and Europe complete silence as there is no class action lawsuit powers.

As @TrixX said, AMD hasn't gone nowhere near such deceit.

Makes you wonder what else they are hiding.

It took a while for people to notice the RAM scam on the 970 because at the time it launched 64bit games were only just hitting the market, so most didn't eat more than 3gb of vram. Nvidia hoped no one would notice, but it came back to bite them.

Then OFC there was another mini-scandal when DX12 was launched and Geforce cards didn't have real async compute. So performance was horrendously bad compared to equivalent (and older) AMD cards.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom