• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2080ti cards failing ?

Associate
There’s definitely still an issue out there

Since the new year I have had a MSI RTX 2070 artefact and die on me 9 days in, followed by an EVGA 2080ti black which lasted 5 days before starting to degrade. This is with a brand new system and multiple power supplies to verify it’s not that.
I opted for a refund as I have lost all confidence that a further rtx replacement will last the next 3-5 years. I’m just glad they both went in the first few days so refunds were easy enough

Associate
I really think the dedicated graphic card manufacturing process has hit the proverbial brick wall technology wise after what is about 30 or so years since their introduction in home computers. In the 1990's they were more commonly called accelerator cards like of which you would slap on to the side of an Amiga 500 or 1200 (I was playing Super Stardust AGA on mine earlier, it's still a tough game to play and still looks great on a 24" screen, playing with an arcade joystick and 2 buttons, none of this mouse and keyboard / joypad nonsense :) ).

Today's insanely expensive cards though are like Ferrari Formula One cars where they are stripped down and rebuilt before and after each race with new parts...These cards should be properly liquid cooled and supplied with the kit to support that instead of just fan air cooled..GPU's are really no different from CPU's where you have huge HSF's / water cooled units. You're paying huge amounts of money for an overclock...it's crazy.

Soldato
On to my 2nd 2080Ti now, first being the Aorus Xtreme Waterforce AIO, failed after two weeks of putting it into my system. Now with a FTW3 Ultra. Fingers crossed it lasts but I have a funny feeling it won't.

At least with EVGA you have a nice long guarantee.

I think anyone who has one of these series of cards, has it in the back of their minds that they can fail at any time.

Associate
My two 2080 Ti FE cards have been running 24/7 with hundreds of hours of gaming since around mid October and so far they are still running great. But with the ammount of failing cards that die the same way with artifacting it does make me nervous if I have ticking time bombs that could go any moment.

Did put the cards through furmark for just over 30mins the other day and they ran that without issues so after all this time of using the cards hopefully these cards are perfect ones.

My first 2080 Ti I did have to get replaced not because of any GPU failure, card ran great but because the logo was lit up in orange, red at post then permanently orange. Nice colour though :D

Associate
In the opinion of members of this forum, is it worth waiting a few months for them to iron out these hardware issues or should I bite the bullet and go ahead and buy?

Associate
In the opinion of members of this forum, is it worth waiting a few months for them to iron out these hardware issues or should I bite the bullet and go ahead and buy?
Go ahead and buy. There are a few bad cards but overall majority of them work fine. My 2080 is fine 2 months in.

Soldato
Thank you. The one I have my eye on is still listed as 'Pre-Order', so I am just waiting for it to become available.
I would advise still do your own research and use your own judgement and decide for yourself though. I don't think a user with a "2080" and his 2 months experiences would be representative for "2080ti" which he does not own.

It's not about the reliability of the overall Nvidia cards in general, but the reliability of 2080ti specifically that you want to make sure of I think.

Soldato
A fair point. I intend to keep a close eye on this whilst waiting for the card to become available. This question was really only one facet of the research.
If nothing else, if you do decide to buy one make sure you get one from a good reputed manufacturer and good after sales support (i.e. EVGA) for the additional peace of mind.

Associate
A fair point. I intend to keep a close eye on this whilst waiting for the card to become available. This question was really only one facet of the research.
The one thing that puts me off upgrading is the resale value of 2080ti. If these cards are still failing in a 6 months time the resell value is going to tank. If your gonna keep it for a while then not to worry

Associate
I was considering the Gainward RTX 2080 Ti Phoenix GS 11264MB card. I have had good experiences in the past with them, but conversely never had to use their RMA system. I also like to try an read up on a card before buying. Both from the manufacturers perspective and the those of confirmed owners.

I probably will get one, but immediately; At least not now. I will wait until at least June I think.

Thank you all for your feedback.

Soldato
I was considering the Gainward RTX 2080 Ti Phoenix GS 11264MB card. I have had good experiences in the past with them, but conversely never had to use their RMA system. I also like to try an read up on a card before buying. Both from the manufacturers perspective and the those of confirmed owners.

I probably will get one, but immediately; At least not now. I will wait until at least June I think.

Thank you all for your feedback.
They are not failing. it was a myth lol

Associate
My second zotac rtx2080ti arrived yesterday RMA was best I've ever experienced from ocuk they looked after me and had me back gaming quickly.

I am throwing everything I've got at it to make sure it's a good one and it's not skipped a beat however time will tell. If it works fine it's the best gfx card ever made if it breaks again in a short time Nvidia need to have a good look at this issue. Newegg reviews show a crazy amount of zotac cards failing between 1 week and 3 months. So I am not holding my breath! Just make sure you have a good warranty if you get one that's my advice

Associate
I've had one 2080 Ti Strix fail on me so far (space invader artifacts). The second is working, but I have started experiencing some crashes with BFV and Crysis 3 the last few days. Up until now, I wasn't getting any crashes so it's a bit odd. Not sure if this is just due to the new driver though. Doing some more testing as I don't really want to deal with Asus RMA if this one ends up failing past my return period. If I end up returning this card I probably won't bother with trying another RTX...

Back
Top Bottom