***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Soldato
Doesn't this have Freesync + 100Hz? Seems pretty decent to me (although the stand looks a bit weird!)
Spec sheet says 60Hz, but then I noticed it also says vertical refresh range is 40-100Hz... And I just read that price is expected to be circa £750. Interest levels raised!

Ive seen this happen so many times both on retail shops descriptions and the actually manual/spec page where they list the device as 60hz but its actually able to go higher. Seen it a lot with LGs ultrawide panels. Its very weird they cant seem to get this right.

Associate
It also has an 1800r curve, the same as the asus mx34vq, which hopefully means the same panel, which got quite some nice praise from pcmonitors

Soldato
Spec sheet says 60Hz, but then I noticed it also says vertical refresh range is 40-100Hz... And I just read that price is expected to be circa £750. Interest levels raised!
"vertical refresh range is 40-100Hz"

What happens when your fps go below 40 as doesn't free sync meant to match the FPS to the screen refresh rate :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
Wondering, say If i want g-sync 1920 1080 over 60Hz some nice screens to choose from and affordable. If i want 21:9 2560 x 1080 60hz+ with g-sync ( slight bump in resolution ). I can only see 1 option at near £1k? Why is there huge gap there? I mean 2560 x 1080 is gtx 1060. suitable(most popular card).

Soldato
Wondering, say If i want g-sync 1920 1080 over 60Hz some nice screens to choose from and affordable. If i want 21:9 2560 x 1080 60hz+ with g-sync ( slight bump in resolution ). I can only see 1 option at near £1k? Why is there huge gap there? I mean 2560 x 1080 is gtx 1060. suitable(most popular card).
It makes no sense and has baffled me as well. A good IPS or even a proper VA, as they seem to get better now, at 2560x1080 and between 75-100hz atleast in the 29-31inch size would be a very interesting product. With gsync i might add. We got plenty of those offerings of the freesync side around 75hz. Seems like a missed opportunity.

Soldato

yeah that is correct but darn man look at that premium and I have a feeling that the VA panel could be better I mean its acer.. they havent had a great track record when using VA panels for gaming . I hope I am wrong of course with the one you linked..

For that price I could get a 3440x1440 curved 75hz freesync capable monitor from LG with a very good IPS panel....that is saying something imho.

Soldato
yeah that is correct but darn man look at that premium and I have a feeling that the VA panel could be better I mean its acer.. they havent had a great track record when using VA panels for gaming . I hope I am wrong of course with the one you linked..

I kept waiting and waiting for that but the release date kept getting pushed back. After owning the X34A for a month or so now, I'm glad I coughed up the extra for it. 30" 21:9 would be too small for me; even 35" is pushing it in the vertical dimension. I was used to a 32" 16:9 TV so I do sort of miss the extra vertical space. I think a 40" 21:9 would be perfect :)

Soldato
I kept waiting and waiting for that but the release date kept getting pushed back. After owning the X34A for a month or so now, I'm glad I coughed up the extra for it. 30" 21:9 would be too small for me; even 35" is pushing it in the vertical dimension. I was used to a 32" 16:9 TV so I do sort of miss the extra vertical space. I think a 40" 21:9 would be perfect :)
To each their own i suppose. I prefer 29" UW for games like BF1, CS:GO and similar fast games where as i prefer 34" UW for a more immersive singleplayer experience. Sadly there are no screens that will adapt size on a button press :p

Soldato
Any cheap ultrawides in the

-gsync category
-freesync category
-no sync category

Need to ideally get a new monitor and card for video editing (and gaming since I'll have to move the rig to a desk).
Dependant on what AMD offer in the next month or so will determine which monitor I go.

Otherwise any just solid good cheap monitors at 1440p. ?

Caporegime
OP

For that price I could get a 3440x1440 curved 75hz freesync capable monitor from LG with a very good IPS panel....that is saying something imho.

All these high refresh rate VA panels are much the same tbh i.e. overall it is very good, more so if you avoid the 200HZ and stick to 144/120HZ. It will still have problems with the dark to bright area transitions and vice versa.

Regarding price, yup I don't disagree.

Heck I wouldn't even pay more than £500 for a 34" 1440 IPS/VA now, anything more and it is completely and utterly stupid, you're just getting ripped of big time for what is at the end of the day, very basic old LCD based panels that have awful QC/problems.

I imagine gsync is adding a substantial sum to that though.....

I also wouldn't be wanting to go any bigger than 34" 21.9, 29" 21.9 is the perfect size for wideness imo (and combined with a 2560x1080 res. it is pretty sharp still and very easy to run), I think 30-32" 21.9 would be the sweet spot for myself.

I really don't get why there aren't more 29-32" 2560x1080 screens as looking at steam, the res. is more favourable than 3440x1440 atm....

qFgdlPg.png

Of course, steam survey isn't the be all but it does give a good indication for a large majority of the PC gamer base as well as showing growing and declining trends.

I think if we had the bare bones in a 30-32" 2560x1080 21.9 package i.e. no speakers, no HDR, freesync, 75-100HZ, OLED could be added and not budge the price up too much i.e. possibly the screen could be had for <£900? (of course factoring in there being a decent amount of other OLED monitors), for myself, that would easily be the best monitor on the market and actually worth the £500+ price tag imo....

Associate
I currently have a 40 inch 4k monitor but I'm tempted to try ultrawide..what would be the best monitor for about £600? and would it make a big difference vs my current monitor?

Soldato
I currently have a 40 inch 4k monitor but I'm tempted to try ultrawide..what would be the best monitor for about £600? and would it make a big difference vs my current monitor?

Create a custom resolution at 3440x1440 and have it scale to aspect ratio. Then you get to try the UW experience before buying something solid.

Soldato
You could set up a custom res for 21.9 on your 4k, you will have black bars top and bottom but it will give you a idea how a 38" ultrawide will look

Soldato

Assuming we're talking 3440x1440 at 34"/38", you can do as suggested above to create the illusion of the size, but you will notice a bigger difference with the speed of a 100Hz or even 75Hz panel. It depends what model you get of course, but with G-Sync or Freesync, you should notice a smoother gaming experience, plus at 3440x1440 down from 4K res, you will be getting higher FPS rates. It's win win all around really, so unless you're in love with 4K and/or don't want to give up the vertical height, I imagine you'd be very happy. You won't get 38" for £600 though. You won't even get a 34" G-Sync unless you find a B-Grade or second hand model, so you'd be limited to Freesync which would be useless if you have an Nvidia GPU.

Associate
Just bought a B grade Asus rog swift PG348Q its an amazing monitor at last i am in the 21.9 club :) i was waiting for the new aoc 34" but early reviews and owner comments put me off so i cancelled order.

Back
Top Bottom