***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Associate
i'm using this 8ish year old 27" 16:10 TN monitor - i'm actually wondering if i should upgrade as quite frankly i don't want something that's worse. :(

Caporegime
OP
i'm using this 8ish year old 27" 16:10 TN monitor - i'm actually wondering if i should upgrade as quite frankly i don't want something that's worse. :(
Well you are in your right to request RMA and if they decline then you can just return under the 14 day CCR law.

But yup, monitor QC is a joke now, 8+ years ago, I went through a ton of monitors and none had any issues at all, zero back light bleed, zero dead pixels.... Only had to RMA one as it had very bad uniformity.

Soldato
Well you are in your right to request RMA and if they decline then you can just return under the 14 day CCR law.

But yup, monitor QC is a joke now, 8+ years ago, I went through a ton of monitors and none had any issues at all, zero back light bleed, zero dead pixels.... Only had to RMA one as it had very bad uniformity.
Sadly, you can't just do that. Postage back is up to the customer AND retailers can legally take a percentage off the refund if the box is so much as opened. OCUK didn't allude to how much it would be which is one of the reasons I kept pushing for RMA over 'unwanted item'.

Caporegime
OP
Sadly, you can't just do that. Postage back is up to the customer AND retailers can legally take a percentage off the refund if the box is so much as opened. OCUK didn't allude to how much it would be which is one of the reasons I kept pushing for RMA over 'unwanted item'.
If you buy through amazon, I'm pretty sure they arrange and cover postage for you.

And yes, I'm pretty sure gibbo has stated that last part too (over which there was a massive back lash) but he said that would only be applicable for the people that are going through the monitors i.e. 3+ returns or something like that.

I definitely wouldn't buy monitors through ocuk again after what they said about yours as well as seeing reports on other forums about their CS regarding this.

Soldato
If you buy through amazon, I'm pretty sure they arrange and cover postage for you.

And yes, I'm pretty sure gibbo has stated that last part too (over which there was a massive back lash) but he said that would only be applicable for the people that are going through the monitors i.e. 3+ returns or something like that.

Yeah that makes sense. Not fair on retailers if people are abusing the system to get a perfect screen. As you saw though, mine was not good at all and was well within rights for RMA. I am very happy with the service received, but I was very unhappy at first when three people said it's "good and normal for that IPS panel". Doesn't matter if it's "normal"; if it's not to design and not fit for purpose, back it shall go :)

Caporegime
OP
Yeah that makes sense. Not fair on retailers if people are abusing the system to get a perfect screen. As you saw though, mine was not good at all and was well within rights for RMA. I am very happy with the service received, but I was very unhappy at first when three people said it's "good and normal for that IPS panel". Doesn't matter if it's "normal"; if it's not to design and not fit for purpose, back it shall go :)

Yup there are definitely some that are abusing the system and/or not fully understanding the issues or haven't got their monitors at the correct settings but at the same time.... imo, any back light bleed that is noticeable under normal conditions with a normal brightness setting is a "fault" as is any dead pixels, it is not "normal" for any panel type. As I said above, I have bought/seen tons of monitors and 8+ years ago, you never had to worry about such issues, you would have had to be extremely unlucky to get a monitor with back light bleed, at least in my experience anyway.

They sorted you out in the end but unfortunately they tried fobbing you off first time round, to me that isn't on at all, especially for the price you paid.

Had a quick look and found some of gibbo's posts regarding this as well as some stuff about the b-grade stuff:

We doubled checked with trading standards and our lawyer, well I made our guys double check as what you mentioned gave me concern.

But we are indeed correct, the law is if an item is clearance/b-grade it should be:
1. Clearly marked as such in the product title so "B-Grade" or "Clearance"
2. Showing a reduced price compared to regular price of good reduction as this is for the reduced warranty period due to being not new.

So if B-grade items were only 5-10% cheaper than new and not marked as such then they would have full warranty.

But as we sell our B-grade typically at huge reductions we are as such covered and we even had a case a few months ago where a customer tried to return a product to use well out of the B-grade 90 day period, was like 18 months later and he took us to court, we won. So when buying clearance/b-grade from anywhere if the reseller is clearly stating it as such and there is a big reduction, by ordering you are agreeing to their terms and they are legally entitled to only offer the warranty they advertise.

Legally the reseller can only deduct upto 25% I believe, so 50% is rather extreme and probably illegal.

Backlight bleed within reason like dead pixels is not a fault, so I guess it depends how they are feeling, LOL. Of course CCR can be used but legally if they believe it is used and cannot be resold they can essentially charge you a restocking fee (upto 25%).

I suspect the monitor price increases at etailers across the board is coming from increased returns on CCR due to backlight bleed, some people have good reason, the bleed is beyond acceptable, others returning for IPS glow and doing it several times over.

We keep CCR restocking charges to an absolute minimum, but it means we end up with a huge amount of B-grade monitors sold a big losses to the company, so we either increase upfront margin to cover it or we start implementing more CCR restocking fees.

On another note we have also applied huge pressure on certain manufacturers to start taking returns on monitors for excessive bleed so the retailer is not the ones getting stung.

So looks like we found our reason as to why monitors are so expensive, essentially we are paying for companies incompetence for when it comes to QC :o

Makes you wonder just how many people are RMA/returning the monitors to make monitors so much more expensive?!

Associate
Yeah that makes sense. Not fair on retailers if people are abusing the system to get a perfect screen.

Also not fair to the customer if a less than perfect screen is shipped out? It wouldn't be so bad if it was like 1 in 100 screens that had a defect - or maybe it is. if just seems there is a very high % of less than perfect screens for sale. if i was paying £200 for a monitor, i would not be as picky about it, and at that price point almost expect the odd dodgy pixel. But if i was spending £1k+ i would expect perfection AND to have something with a decent warranty. which is why i'm leaning towards the new Philips 34" right now...

Soldato
Also not fair to the customer if a less than perfect screen is shipped out? It wouldn't be so bad if it was like 1 in 100 screens that had a defect - or maybe it is. if just seems there is a very high % of less than perfect screens for sale. if i was paying £200 for a monitor, i would not be as picky about it, and at that price point almost expect the odd dodgy pixel. But if i was spending £1k+ i would expect perfection AND to have something with a decent warranty. which is why i'm leaning towards the new Philips 34" right now...

Yes I totally agree with you, but I would not want OCUK opening up the box and checking them all. It would take too much time and up the cost further. Plus, buying an opened box is open for abuse, that I'm accusing OCUK staff of doing anything like that.

PayDay Lover
Associate
Weirdly I actually feel more comfortable buying used monitors from people because it seems as if I am more likely to get what I expect (obviously there is risk of shady sellers, but ultimately things like dead pixels/backlight bleed are things confirmed prior to purchase)

Associate
Yes I totally agree with you, but I would not want OCUK opening up the box and checking them all. It would take too much time and up the cost further. Plus, buying an opened box is open for abuse, that I'm accusing OCUK staff of doing anything like that.

exactly - they should be supplied good monitors in the first place by their suppliers. but the world is becoming more consumable in general - and tech is seemingly only made to last a few years now :(

Soldato
Don't know why manufacturers are pushing for an even wider format... Utterly stupid imo.
There most likely pushing even wider monitors to get people that like having the screen space available with two 16:9 monitor setup to replace them with just a single super wide 32:9 monitor..

And the 32:9 ratio looks to be about the exact same width as two 16:9 monitors ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
This is the replacement screen: https://goo.gl/photos/TVfHeTfRBrhthm268

Better, but still there :/
Far too hard to tell from that photo in all honesty.

If you're using your phone, adjust the exposure or record/upload a video or take a snapshot of the video to upload as an image.

Although the left corner still looks to have bad bleed....

There most likely pushing even wider monitors to get people that like having the screen space available with two 16:9 monitor setup to replace them with just a single super wide 32:9 monitor..

And the 32:9 ratio looks to be about the exact same width as two 16:9 monitors ;)
True but most people who had dual monitor setups got rid of them for a single 21.9 monitor :p

Soldato
I noticed minor backlight bleed on my IPS so I got my phone to take a picture to compare it to other peoples.

The phone must have exaggerated the glow by about 500%. It was ridiculous.

After seeing peoples photos I now wonder if its actually anywhere near as bad as it seems.

Soldato
I noticed minor backlight bleed on my IPS so I got my phone to take a picture to compare it to other peoples.

The phone must have exaggerated the glow by about 500%. It was ridiculous.

After seeing peoples photos I now wonder if its actually anywhere near as bad as it seems.

in some cases its not but it depends on the user and the phone. Always a good idea to tweak the ISO until what is displayed on your phone matches what you see IRL. Most phones can do this today, even my girlfriends cheapo windows phone 530 can do this.

Back
Top Bottom