***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Soldato
That looks pretty good, I cant really make out any backlight bleed, and that IPS glow from the bottom left is well within what you'd expect from a 34 curved IPS.

I'd say thats a keeper.

Yeah I thought so too. There is a patch at the top left, that covers about 6" and stretches 1-2" into the screen, but it's a LOT better than my first one.

Caporegime
OP
That looks ok to me, pretty sure the bottom is back light bleed and not IPS glow though? Backlight bleed always has that orange/yellow hue where as IPS glow is just a "glow" i.e. white/light grey look on blacks, at least in my experience anyway.

It is odd how it always seems to be the left side that is the most problematic for bleed and IPS glow issues :/

Permabanned
I've currently got the Dell 3415, I got a very decent panel but I'm itching to get a 100Hz Gsync ultrawide.

I'm hanging off until the Acer X34P and hopefully the Samsung 34" Quantum dot gsync monitors release this year, then I'll make my buying decision and play the panel lottery!

Associate
The fact that it almost seems blasé to return the x34a a few times to get a decent one just seems so mind boggling to me. Yes let me just smack down £900 on a monitor and know that I'll have to send it back a few times to get a good one; what on earth went wrong?

For me I think I'll wait for the Omen; it seems like a good all round and to extend the 1 year warranty to 3 is £15.

Permabanned
The fact that it almost seems blasé to return the x34a a few times to get a decent one just seems so mind boggling to me. Yes let me just smack down £900 on a monitor and know that I'll have to send it back a few times to get a good one; what on earth went wrong?

For me I think I'll wait for the Omen; it seems like a good all round and to extend the 1 year warranty to 3 is £15.

The HP Omen is also an interesting option

Man of Honour

I think if they invested into fixing issues, the price would shoot up. It's probably costly to scrap a whole panel because of a dead pixel or a little bleed.

Caporegime
OP
I think if they invested into fixing issues, the price would shoot up. It's probably costly to scrap a whole panel because of a dead pixel or a little bleed.

The problem is, prices have already shot up because of the amount of people returning the screens, due to the retailers losing money on CCR/RMA returns:

Backlight bleed within reason like dead pixels is not a fault, so I guess it depends how they are feeling, LOL. Of course CCR can be used but legally if they believe it is used and cannot be resold they can essentially charge you a restocking fee (upto 25%).

I suspect the monitor price increases at etailers across the board is coming from increased returns on CCR due to backlight bleed, some people have good reason, the bleed is beyond acceptable, others returning for IPS glow and doing it several times over.

We keep CCR restocking charges to an absolute minimum, but it means we end up with a huge amount of B-grade monitors sold a big losses to the company, so we either increase upfront margin to cover it or we start implementing more CCR restocking fees.

On another note we have also applied huge pressure on certain manufacturers to start taking returns on monitors for excessive bleed so the retailer is not the ones getting stung.

So we are already paying for monitor manufacturers incompetence :o

Also, back light bleed is mostly always caused by the chassis/surrounding assembly, i.e. usually being too tight so they wouldn't need to scrap the panel, just take it apart and redo the tightening etc. A lot of 34um95 owners did this themselves.

Man of Honour
The problem is, prices have already shot up because of the amount of people returning the screens, due to the retailers losing money on CCR/RMA returns:

So we are already paying for monitor manufacturers incompetence :o

Also, back light bleed is mostly always caused by the chassis/surrounding assembly, i.e. usually being too tight so they wouldn't need to scrap the panel, just take it apart and redo the tightening etc. A lot of 34um95 owners did this themselves.

Interesting that you can DIY it. I don't think I'd have the guts on such an expensive item.

Soldato
Ive been having an eye on the sammy cf791 for a while but its just way out of my league for now.. So darn tired of TN that im considering something smaller like the lg 29um68.. problem with that is however ive read a reddit discussion saying that the um68 models have higher input lag compared to the um67 which are no where to be found.

Back
Top Bottom