***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Caporegime
Speaking of asus, looks like they will be revealing a new 34" rog swift:

https://www.facebook.com/ASUSROG/videos/10156107737407388/

I wouldn't be surprised if it is still using one of the same panels (possibly VA this time since it has native 100HZ and with gsync, they could potentially push it to 120+HZ) though just with RGB lighting....
RGB all the things! And add £100 onto the price for a couple of LED strips and some pre-existing software.

Associate
RGB all the things! And add £100 onto the price for a couple of LED strips and some pre-existing software.

Depressing doesn't even cover it if it's Va, can't tolerate the smear on those panels. Currently rma my pg348q and nothing in the market tempts me. PC monitors are so depressing ..... think I'm finally gonna trade pioneer krp 500a to oled and move PC back to living room :)

Caporegime
OP
Depressing doesn't even cover it if it's Va, can't tolerate the smear on those panels. Currently rma my pg348q and nothing in the market tempts me. PC monitors are so depressing ..... think I'm finally gonna trade pioneer krp 500a to oled and move PC back to living room :)

Very wise decision :cool:

Caporegime
OP
is that really the lineup for the rest of the year?! Nothing in 37 inch 100+hz and gsync?

Most likely unfortunately :(

There might be some 38" 3840x1600 free and g sync screens where gsync might allow a 100HZ overclock with 75HZ being native but other than that, yup I can't see there being anything that is much of an upgrade over what we have currently got.

Soldato
Caporegime
OP
I hope not :(. Will have to see although looking i think you may be right. The new acer z35p is VA and if AOC is VA then the new asus may be aswell.

Much downside to VA other than viewing angles over IPS?

Aside from viewing angles/colour consistency and "possibly" some smearing in certain transitions (mostly dark objects on a light background), not really imo but in return you get a higher contrast ratio with better blacks and little to no backlight bleed.

PCM2 did a good article comparing 100HZ VA and IPS ultrawides:

https://pcmonitors.info/others/ips-vs-va-100hz-ultrawides/

Soldato
Aside from viewing angles/colour consistency and "possibly" some smearing in certain transitions (mostly dark objects on a light background), not really imo but in return you get a higher contrast ratio with better blacks and little to no backlight bleed.

PCM2 did a good article comparing 100HZ VA and IPS ultrawides:

https://pcmonitors.info/others/ips-vs-va-100hz-ultrawides/

Will wait for the showcase at computex and the following reviews then. I can always try and send back if I don't like it.

However i would like the extra 20hz back as i could always notice a difference between 100-120 and barely anything from 120-144 so will be the icing on the cake and keep me going for a few more years. Plus will give me a reason to get Volta when it comes out next year :D.

Caporegime
OP
Fg8GlyA.png

Unsure what to expect here, either:

- 2560x1080 panel, will be surprised if that is 3440x1440 at 200HZ (certainly not native anyway) but who knows, with DP 1.4, it is possible, however, there has been nothing about a 3440x1440 120+HZ (native) being in production....
- edge lit (would look awful) or FALD (after the latest video on the dell FALD this, it also looks awful) if it has somewhat "true" HDR
- or if it is the fake ******** HDR, then it is just a marketing term/badge they can throw on said slide/box
- assuming it will most likely be VA panel since quantum dot (probably supplied by Samsung?)

EDIT:

Ok, it is 3440x1440!

RGvj8Qu.png

Interesting, hopefully it is native and not some overclock from native 100HZ

Soldato
If that PG35VQ is 2560x1080 @ 35" then it's a joke. It would render any benefit from HDR virtually pointless... assuming it's true HDR, which I doubt as these panels are unlikely to be 1000nit brightness.

I do worry PC monitors will go the same way as TV's, with every new model claiming to offer HDR while not being remotely capable of it.

EDIT: Well according to THIS, it's 3440x1440, so that's OK. I don't know what panel they're using though... HDR needs 10-bit and 1000nits. I don't know of a 35" 21:9 panel that offers this, but there isn't one that does 200Hz either, so perhaps it's an all new one?

Caporegime
OP
If that PG35VQ is 2560x1080 @ 35" then it's a joke. It would render any benefit from HDR virtually pointless... assuming it's true HDR, which I doubt as these panels are unlikely to be 1000nit brightness.

I do worry PC monitors will go the same way as TV's, with every new model claiming to offer HDR while not being remotely capable of it.

It is 3440x1440, edited my post above.

Personally I would take a true good HDR 35" 2560x1080 over a 35" 3440x1440 non-HDR display any day of the week, resolution is nice but imo contrast ratio with great black depth is far superior, especially in gaming where the resolution/PPI increase isn't that noticeable (even more when you have VSR and the likes)

But yeah, I am not feeling hopeful about any form of HDR now after seeing dell's 27" 4k with 384 FALD zones:

Not to mention the price will be crazy stupid.

EDIT:

EDIT: Well according to THIS, it's 3440x1440, so that's OK. I don't know what panel they're using though... HDR needs 10-bit and 1000nits. I don't know of a 35" 21:9 panel that offers this, but there isn't one that does 200Hz either, so perhaps it's an all new one?

AFAIK, the likes of FALD are completely separate to the panel/screen itself (and as a result are what allows low black depth, high brightness without needing to have the panel capable to achieving such values although the bit depth is down to the panel and this could just be 8 bit with FRC like the others...), someone more knowledgeable would need to confirm this though.....

But yes, I'm not aware of any 3440x1440 144+HZ screens in production so it could be a new thing or maybe they have someone managed to get a nice overclock going....

EDIT:

Also, for all we know, maybe it might be able to hit 200HZ but only in 2560x1080 mode....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom