***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Soldato
It is 3440x1440, edited my post above.

Personally I would take a true good HDR 35" 2560x1080 over a 35" 3440x1440 non-HDR display any day of the week, resolution is nice but imo contrast ratio with great black depth is far superior, especially in gaming where the resolution/PPI increase isn't that noticeable (even more when you have VSR and the likes)

That's valid, but as mentioned, I don't have much confidence this is 'TRUE' HDR, and I doubt we'd see that at a lower resolution anyway... if any true HDR monitor panels are developed (i.e 10-bit, 1000nits etc), it would make logical sense for them to be 1440p/4K. I think manufacturers know that people gaming at that res are more likely to cough up for the insane price tag.

Caporegime
OP
That's valid, but as mentioned, I don't have much confidence this is 'TRUE' HDR, and I doubt we'd see that at a lower resolution anyway... if any true HDR monitor panels are developed (i.e 10-bit, 1000nits etc), it would make logical sense for them to be 1440p/4K. I think manufacturers know that people gaming at that res are more likely to cough up for the insane price tag.

Yeah true that on both accounts :(

I forgot that in order for them to meet the ultra HD premium cert., they would also need to have a 4k res. for that:

Resolution - Given the name is "Ultra HD Premium" the display must be able to support a resolution of at least 3840 x 2160. This is often referred to as "4K", although officially this resolution is "Ultra HD", and "4k" is 4096 x 2160.

Soldato
Thing is though, 200Hz at this res?? Come on... even SLI isn't going to get anywhere near pushing those kind of frame rates in AAA titles. Even next gen Volta may struggle.

Caporegime
OP
Not sure how true this is as I can't find any source for it:

"Its LED backlight is dynamically controlled across 512 zones, providing very high contrast for richer, more natural-looking dark scenes. "

Well, Asus have just ****ed on Acer's chip with that 120Hz screen :D

For now, but if it has similar problems as the dell then it will be a worse product imo.

Not to mention, this will be priced in a whole different league to any current monitor, could very possibly be priced even higher than the $2000 tag of the 27" 4k HDR FALD monitors :o

Thing is though, 200Hz at this res?? Come on... even SLI isn't going to get anywhere near pushing those kind of frame rates in AAA titles. Even next gen Volta may struggle.

Yeah I don't care for the 200HZ part at all really tbh, especially if it is an overclocked mode.

Soldato
...this will be priced in a whole different league to any current monitor, could very possibly be priced even higher than the $2000 tag of the 27" 4k HDR FALD monitors :o

That's what concerns me... this isn't 4K of course, but that's actually a plus for me. I have no interest in 4K @ 27", and I know I'm not alone in that. I think this is going to be a FAR more desirable monitor (if it's actually any good lol), but I fear it's going to have a price tag that is just out of reach for many.

Caporegime
OP
That's what concerns me... this isn't 4K of course, but that's actually a plus for me. I have no interest in 4K @ 27", and I know I'm not alone in that. I think this is going to be a FAR more desirable monitor (if it's actually any good lol), but I fear it's going to have a price tag that is just out of reach for many.

I will laugh if it close to or over $3000 :o

Soldato
Q4 2017 release according to that... price is going to be the interesting one on these, but circa £1500 sounds about right. I don't think they'll cost MORE than the 4K 27", as the market for a £2K+ monitor is VERY small I would say.

Interesting to note there that the 35" does meet HDR standards at 1000 nits though, which is great.

Caporegime
OP
Also, including all the first to the market price tags, don't forget that retailer prices here will be even higher due to all the returns/losses that the retailers make on returned monitors, as gibbo has said himself, they put the monitor prices up all round in order to avoid charging/deducting money from returns to cover the CCR restocking fees:

Backlight bleed within reason like dead pixels is not a fault, so I guess it depends how they are feeling, LOL. Of course CCR can be used but legally if they believe it is used and cannot be resold they can essentially charge you a restocking fee (upto 25%).

I suspect the monitor price increases at etailers across the board is coming from increased returns on CCR due to backlight bleed, some people have good reason, the bleed is beyond acceptable, others returning for IPS glow and doing it several times over.

We keep CCR restocking charges to an absolute minimum, but it means we end up with a huge amount of B-grade monitors sold a big losses to the company, so we either increase upfront margin to cover it or we start implementing more CCR restocking fees.

On another note we have also applied huge pressure on certain manufacturers to start taking returns on monitors for excessive bleed so the retailer is not the ones getting stung.

Q4 2017 release according to that... price is going to be the interesting one on these, but £1500-2000 sounds right. I don't think they'll cost MORE than the 4K 27", as the market for a £2K+ monitor is VERY small I would say.

I hope you are right but given how much extra 21.9 monitors already cost compared to somewhat 16.9 equivalents, it will very likely be a good chunk dearer than the 27" 4k HDR 144HZ 16.9 equivalent.

Soldato
I hope you are right but given how much extra 21.9 monitors already cost compared to somewhat 16.9 equivalents, it will very likely be a good chunk dearer than the 27" 4k HDR 144HZ 16.9 equivalent.

Perhaps, but there comes a point when it does become ridiculous. There's always going to be a premium to be paid for new tech, and HDR is not going to be cheap, but the number of people willing to shell out £2K+ for a monitor is a small number indeed. Acer/Asus must know this, so I want to believe it will need to be priced somewhat affordably.

Caporegime
OP
Perhaps, but there comes a point when it does become ridiculous. There's always going to be a premium to be paid for new tech, and HDR is certainly going to come with a premium, but the number of people willing to shell out £2K+ for a monitor is a small number indeed. Acer/Asus must know this, so I want to believe it will need to be priced somewhat affordably.

We have been at that point for a long time now :p

The only way these new HDR FALD monitors will come in for <£1500 is if all the current monitor prices drop big time but with Brexit etc. etc. I can't see it happening, monitors price have either stayed the same as they were 4+ years ago or in most cases gone up drastically :(

i.e. just look at this LG monitor:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-3...-super-wide-curved-led-monitor-mo-149-lg.html

Crazy increase in price just for an extra 4" and slightly higher res. and this is with freesync (of which has a terrible range)

I feel that this is just the way of the monitor/PC industry now, in comparison to TVs and consoles, there just isn't enough of a market for them to be able to charge sensible prices for such tech.

Caporegime
I got my LG 29-UM65 for £249.99 in October 2014. Other than the addition of Freesync I don't believe much has changed and the same monitor, with freesync, is now £269.99 at the standard price. It's got £10 off this week. That is pretty poor when you think about it. No doubt the whole Brexit pound plunge might have something to do with it as we're still not back to anywhere close to the best pre-brexit rate.

Caporegime
OP
I got my LG 29-UM65 for £249.99 in October 2014. Other than the addition of Freesync I don't believe much has changed and the same monitor, with freesync, is now £269.99 at the standard price. It's got £10 off this week. That is pretty poor when you think about it. No doubt the whole Brexit pound plunge might have something to do with it as we're still not back to anywhere close to the best pre-brexit rate.

Same, got mine back in June 2014 and paid £270/280.

I imagine it is down to Brexit and gibbo just upping the prices of monitors all round to cover all the CCR restocking fees. The acer x34 freesync was £600 before Brexit but is now £900 (a slightly newer model only difference being a worse freesync range and more curve) :o

Last edited:
Associate
That new Asus ultrawide is just crazy awesome. Although, I sincerely hope we'll start seeing HDMI 2.1 becoming the norm soon enough to help keep the prices in check (hopefully Asus and Acer haven't strong-armed AMD into only sticking with DP for Vega /tinfoilmode).

Caporegime
OP
Supposedly it is 200HZ native..... Although I'm still skeptical about that.....

Either way, hopefully with it being VA, the halo'ing will not be anywhere as bad the 384 FALD zones IPS 27" display.... That plus even superior black depth and hopefully there won't be the same lag/trail for the zones to match what is on the screen i.e.

Ihqpe9C.png

Back
Top Bottom