***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Associate
Does anyone have the Predator Z301C? If so how do you find it and do you have any regrets on not going for something larger like the x34a?

Personally I think I'd find a 34" like the x34a too big from my normal seating position (desk is c. 26" deep) and I would end up having to move my head around to see things going on at the side when gaming. At 30" I think this would be less of a problem with the Z301C. I'm coming from a 60hz 24" Dell IPS, so I'm sure I'd feel a big difference on just the refresh rate alone. Main use will be for gaming rather than productivity so I'm not that worried about the 'loss' of extra screen real estate from the x34a and think that the resolution / pixel density should still be OK at 2560x 1080 on a 30" monitor.

Just looking for any thoughts from existing owners as there doesn't seem to be much info out there on this monitor already.

I've got the same monitor although just sent it back for a replacement, due to the menu buttons not working. I do like the aspect ratio and despite it faults could not go back to a 16:9 ratio monitor, once you have one you never want to go back. I did encounter ghosting on this monitor with certain games and when playing Borderlands if you point the mouse at the sky it goes from vibrant blue to an overcast effect, so this monitor isn't perfect but for me I could live with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
I dont like my AOC 34 inc, wide screen is **** in Overwatch, thinking to sell it and get something 2k with 16:9
That's overwatch's fault. Well, Blizzards really. They butchered a 16:9 display and cut the top and bottom off to give a 21:9 image, saying UW gives an unfair advantage. Personally they should cap everyone's display at a set FPS and display quality because someone on a 4K monitor on dual 1080ti's running 'low for pro' and 150FPS gets an unfair advantage too.

Associate
Had a bit of a result in the end guys! Ended up get a brand new monitor as opposed to 'used - like new' for the same price and accidentally ordered the 34UM88 with thunderbolt although I have no thunderbolt devices so unlikely to get used.

Received on the weekend and only had brought time last night to unbox it for a quick look. Now working away and won't get to play with it properly until Thursday evening :( one thing I did find odd is that freesync was disabled in the monitor menu from out of the box. BLB in bottom left but don't think it's going to annoy me too much.

Associate
Can I just ask a few simpleton questions? What would be the best connection for Z301C to PC? Assuming it's DVI if I were to plug in a PS4 to HDMI that would work right? Like in the capacity that it's one or the other.

Associate
Monitor has been great so far little bit of BLB in bottom left but it's minimal. Can anyone recommend how I check for dead pixels? Also how can I calibrate it so its not too bright and colours come out good?

RX480 struggles in PUBG at this res so may look into Vega if reviews are good.

Soldato
Monitor has been great so far little bit of BLB in bottom left but it's minimal. Can anyone recommend how I check for dead pixels? Also how can I calibrate it so its not too bright and colours come out good?

RX480 struggles in PUBG at this res so may look into Vega if reviews are good.
you can check for dead or stuck pixels on this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIA_4nV-CqE

have a look on tftcentrel or pcmonitors.org for reviews, they usually have calibration settings and profiles to dowload

Soldato
I'm thinking about getting a 3440x1440 monitor as my current 2560x1440 is almost six years old so it must be time for a change. ;)
Has anyone found a suitable KVM for this resolution? I sometimes run up to four PCs so need a replacement for my current DL DVI Aten. I realise it will be expensive....

Soldato
I'm thinking about getting a 3440x1440 monitor as my current 2560x1440 is almost six years old so it must be time for a change. ;)
Has anyone found a suitable KVM for this resolution? I sometimes run up to four PCs so need a replacement for my current DL DVI Aten. I realise it will be expensive....
Answering my own question, it seems the best, if not only, solution is the Aten CS1924. However, its cost of around £550 really makes the upgrade cost too high so I shall have to look for a different solution. :(

Soldato
Does anyone have the Samsung LC34F791WQUXEN monitor? Looks pretty decent, if a little expensive.

Shame they don't seem to do this model in black :(

Looks like it has a VA panel with quantum dot tech. So hopefully not too bad for backlight bleed.

I'm loathe to get another ips monitor after all the problems getting one that is half decent. The standard of manufacturing on monitors these days is pretty appalling and one of the reasons I'll probably sit on my current display for another few years.

Last edited:
Associate
So I've been dithering for over 6 months on a new monitor and struggling to justify £600 for the so called 'sweet spot' of 27" / 1440 / 144Hz / G-Sync spec. Was holding out for the new Samsung C27HG70 27" 2560x1440 VA FREESYNC 144Hz Gaming Quantum DOT HDR, but a review on YouTube (Lims Cave iirc) stated the HDR does not work and overall, he preferred the picture quality of the Samsung C27FG70 27" 1920x1080 VA FREESYNC 144Hz Gaming Quantum DOT - even though it's a 1080 screen?

It is nearly half price at £320 though, a much more comfortable price point for me. However, I can't get the current deal on the LG 34UC79G @ £388.99 out of my head.

The only issues I have with the LG are: 1) I sit about 2 foot from my monitor (thin desk) and wonder if that is too close for a monitor of this size? I guess it is curved so that may help some... 2) PPI whilst 1080 @ 27" seems to be regarded as an acceptable PPI, would I lose detail on the bigger 34" screen?

Appreciate any advice, especially if anyone has owned / owns either of these monitors. Oh, I have an EVGA 1080 FTW card and don't play twitch shooter type games.
Cheers,

Back
Top Bottom