***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Caporegime
If you plan to keep the 970 for a while then I'd be tempted by the Z35 tbh, 3440 is quite a punishing res at times (I have to turn a few settings down on The Division for instance, and that's with a 980Ti)

Also go for a Gsync one, again if you plan to keep the 970 for a while :)

Pet Northerner
Don
If you plan to keep the 970 for a while then I'd be tempted by the Z35 tbh, 3440 is quite a punishing res at times (I have to turn a few settings down on The Division for instance, and that's with a 980Ti)

Also go for a Gsync one, again if you plan to keep the 970 for a while :)

Another part of me was tempted to buy a 390x and hit the 1440p freesync, then give my 970 to my gf to use with my two current 24" monitors

It would cost as much as an x34 (which is the very top of the budget) but allow my gf to play no mans sky on the 970 and give me a bit more grunt for 1440p

Caporegime
OP
Indeed :p

BTW, I would avoid the current 35" 2560x1080 VA monitors, they have awful motion, not to mention the PPI would be even worse than 34" 1080.

Pet Northerner
Don
Thats what I figured. I really want 1440p as I need to be able to look at text when coding (when I get chance).

I'm getting more and more round to the thought of a better GPU (390x) and a freesync monitor and give the 970 to the GF for 1080p gaming.

Mobster
Soldato
You've seen the light, now it's time for you to ascend and join us :cool:

I did have the X34 on order, but cancelled and now have the PG348Q on order. I'm like a kid at Christmas now, cant wait.

Iv'e managed to change the res but the aspect ratio is still 16:9 not so although the res is correct everything is stretched. :(

Have you tried setting the ratio to 1:1 ?

Caporegime
I did have the X34 on order, but cancelled and now have the PG348Q on order. I'm like a kid at Christmas now, cant wait.

Have you tried setting the ratio to 1:1 ?

yep

Ultra-Widescreen (21:9) Specific Solution & Issues

Resolution - Go to -> \base
edit DoomConfig.cfg put in:
seta r_customHeight "1440"
seta r_customWidth "3440"
seta r_mode "-1"
seta r_aspectRatio "1"

Aspect Ratio 21:9 --> Extract and replace Files from Doom.3 - Aspect Ratio - 21.9.7z

http://www.wsgf.org/dr/doom-3

Caporegime
OP
Thats what I figured. I really want 1440p as I need to be able to look at text when coding (when I get chance).

I'm getting more and more round to the thought of a better GPU (390x) and a freesync monitor and give the 970 to the GF for 1080p gaming.

Personally I would wait a week or 2 to see what is what with pascal and polaris, not to mention, there are bound to be price drops on the current lot of GPUs too.

Although still, even if pascal is better "overall", the price difference between the free and g sync XR34 is pretty damn large and the gsync version is most certainly not worth the extra imo considering the only difference will be better motion clarity (which comes at the cost of possibly coil whine and scanlines, which can be somewhat fixed but it requires a bit of faff) and to get that benefit, you will need to be pushing 75+ FPS, which is pretty much a no go in most new AAA games with all the current single GPU's unless you are ok with dropping settings. Also, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if the freesync drops to £500 relatively soon too...

Last edited:
Pet Northerner
Don
We ll I have a month and a half to wait, which I'll be happy to do so. I'll be going back to AMd regardless as i personally think that the g-sync price difference is ridiculous. The current X84 (thanks to it's recent price increase on OCUK) is not 350 more than the freesync version.

Caporegime
OP
Yup I completely agree, the price difference is ridiculous, just think what else you could buy with £350... not to mention the extra money that would be saved with getting an AMD GPU too.

Soldato

I hear you about waiting, when I decide I'm going to get something I have to have it now - has cost me considerably over the years but hey, you are who you are right? Anyways, I ran the X34 freesync with a 390X for a couple of weeks (tried 390x crossfire but turned out to be a disaster so replaced them with a Fury X) and it coped pretty well with the resolution. Expect averages of around 45 - 50 FPS with everything maxed in the newest titles which, with freesync, is silky smooth. For Rise of the Tomb Raider I had to knock down the anti-ailsing and a few other little tweaks here and there to hit 40FPS.

Last edited:
Associate
Indeed :p

BTW, I would avoid the current 35" 2560x1080 VA monitors, they have awful motion, not to mention the PPI would be even worse than 34" 1080.

Have you actually tried one?
I got a Z35 with a view to returning it if not happy and swapping with an x34 or the Asus , the few hundred quid difference wasn't an issue, I have a 980ti but don't want to go sli and I really feel better playing with high fps and hz , it just feels better, maybe its a throw back to my Q3 days on CRT.
I had read about motion clarity so I was concerned, my regular games are fast paced, Quake/BF/Cod/Trackmania and a drip feed of other games, just finished ROTTR, beautiful game.

Coming from a TN 120hz 27" BenQ I thought I may suffer, but it all seems fine to me, maybe bench tests do show clarity as a problem, but it seems that in real life for me games are fine.
I havnt even felt the need to use the ULMB feature!
So VA motion clarity in games is a non issue for me and ppi @ 30" no problem either, I do agree my desktop is a bit rough compared to 1440p but that's not a deal breaker for me.
But I do have the benefits of great contrast ratio and high fps/hz with a single GPU that will not run out of steam for quiet a while at this rez.
I am sure 1440p ips is very nice, I think I will get one when I can get 120hz+/single GPU in 21:9.

Back
Top Bottom